PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Street party - ideas/hints/tips?

I'm a member of a particularly inefficient committe who 'run' a local community centre. They've been telling everyone that there will be a street party in September but no-one has actually stepped forward to handle the organisation, so it has become my task :dance:

I've canvassed the householders along the street and those that join it to make sure no-one objects and now need to put in an application to have the road closed but no-one seems to have given any thought to what times they want the street party to happen. As it would be good for kinds/older people to be able to come and enjoy it and we don't want it getting rowdy/boozy I thought 12-3, perhaps applying for the road to be closed between 9am and 5pm. Hopefully that'll give enough time to set up/clear up.

I know we'll need some tables and chairs for anyone who can't bring them, and some 'road closed' signs (which I'm hoping to hire from the Council) but I'd love any tips from others on running a fun, happy, welcoming street party :)
If you lend someone £20 and never see them again, it was probably £20 well spent...

Comments

• meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    ignore the 'unhelpful committee' and gather some allies who you know want the party to happen and will actually DO some work to help you.
    phone the council tomorrow and talk to the highways dept. tell them the situation and they should explain to you how it works.
    how is the party being funded? is there a 'fund' you can access? if so how? do you have to get 'donations? if so is it street collections, business donations (many large supermarkets will donate either cash or goods for community parties).
    have a weekly or twice weekly meeting with allies to discuss current matters, have an agenda - whats been done, what needs to be done and allocate people to do it. The first meeting should be about tables chairs etc - hire or ask locals to bring out their own? alternate venue in case its 'tipping down'?
    Do you need to buy food in - or will everyone contribute? (always get some basic supplies in as often people will 'forget' or go away on holiday and you cant rely on people coming up with the goodies). Stuff such as pop and squash - cakes - crisps - nibbles - paper plates cutlery etc - who gets that in? do you need to get a 'warehouse card' if you are buying large quantities.
    that's the basics I think.
  • our local council have a Resource Centre where you can hire all sorts of things for community events - PA systems, chairs and tables, face painting equipment, games. Might be worth investigating.

You need things to keep folk amused, maybe a raffle or tombola
    karaoke, talent show, pass the parcel (if all sat at a long line of tables).
    Over futile odds
    And laughed at by the gods
    And now the final frame
    Love is a losing game
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Food keep simple unless reliable people are prepared to do more.

Bunting and flags gives party atmosphere and people may have some that you can use.

To keep children amused a table with premade paperhats for them to decorate. - or just use white paper tablecloths that people can draw on with pencils left on table - adults will join in

Games like egg and spoon races, beanbags on head races. Also relay races.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure