Debt advice please!!

Options
Hi all,

Well this is my situation. back in 2008 I entered into an IVA after struggling with my debts for a long time. I managed to run up debts totalling £28000 with Nat West bank. It started in 1999 when I was young and foolish and took out a small loan. When this loan was almost paid the bank offered me another to settle what was left and leave me with some cash in the bank and settle a small overdraft. I accepted and as time went by I always paid on time and was offered credit cards and a larger overdraft. As is the case when you are in your teens and early twenties I thought all this extra cash was great and rarely said no to thier offerings. Before I knew it due to the constant consolidation offerings by the bank my debts soon began to take up the majority of my disposable income and more thsn I could afford along with the cost of living. At one point I was earning £1000 a month take home pay and giving the bank £360 of it. My fault I know but easily done when you need the money and its being dangled under your nose!! What I didnt realise at the time I was taking all these loans and renewals was that the bank was not only earning from the intrest I was paying but they sold me PPI worth thousands. At the time I was told it was compulsary to be able to get the loan and so I took it. I think this may well have pushed my debts to an unmanageable level.

Now although I know it is ultimatley my own fault that I amassed such a huge debt the bank certainly didnt help! I paid the IVA for around 12 months but eventually found this unmanageable too. I asked the IVA provider to lower the payments but was refused and so I cancelled the direct debit and paid no more. By this time the stress of the debt was making me ill and I ignorantly just put it to the back of my mind and tried to get back on my feet. I waited for my creditors to make contact again following the failure of the IVA but they never did contact me. I recieved a letter from the IVA provider saying the IVA had been terminated.

This was in 2009. We are now in 2014 and still I havnt been contacted by Nat West regarding the thousands of pounds I still must owe them. I checked experian and sure enough the default is still sitting there on my account. The section that shows any debt management, IVA or bankruptcy in my credit report shows the IVA as satisfied in 2009?? I dont get it, the IVA was failed yet shows as satisfied?? So firstly why have Nat West not CCJ me? why is the IVA showing satisfied and finished 12 months after it started and what will happen next year when the 6 year period since default passes?? Can the bank still enforce the debt or is it statute barred?

Any advice is much appreciated

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family