Balance Trasnfer Card - Confused!

Hi all,

Really hoping someone can help.

I'm looking to help my girlfriend shift her debt from her current Barclay Credit Card.. She currently has a debt on the card of around £3,000. I have read the MSE post regarding 0% balance transfer cards and inputted her details into the eligibility calculator, she had a 90% success rate for a Tesco Balance Transfer card offering 0% for 24 months 0% fee, which I thought was great!

I immediately applied for her, passed the credit check on their website but when I got to the final step it only offered to transfer £1,200 of her balance from her Barclay Card? When I tried to enter £3000, it said we have exceeded the amount. But there was no option to apply for an increased limit?! Thus, leaving us having to quit the application.

Any help would be great, every brand I look at seems to only offer £1,200? I don't want to keep running credit checks aswell, affecting her score.

Comments

• nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The credit limit is usually based on your income. You may well have higher limits on existing cards, but a new application will use your current income to set the level.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Assuming you haven't applied for every card, you're also probably confusing limits with the representative example, which is always £1200.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Also, take what you're offered. It will still save you money and the search has already been done.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    PaulH91 wrote: »
    Thus, leaving us having to quit the application.
    So having incurred a credit search you then threw away the chance to get over a third of her debt on 0% interest? That was a bit silly!
    Any help would be great, every brand I look at seems to only offer £1,200? I don't want to keep running credit checks aswell, affecting her score.
    I think you may be confusing the industry standard APR calculation figure of £1,200 with a likely credit limit. Would you agree?

EDIT: Cross posted with zx81.
  • PaulH91
    PaulH91 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Thank you for the replies. I may be confusing the standard APR limits with what we'd actually be offered yes. But is there a way to do a soft check to see what limit we could actually be offered prior to going through the whole application?
  • moshoodo1
    moshoodo1 Posts: 181 Forumite
    PaulH91 wrote: »
    Thank you for the replies. I may be confusing the standard APR limits with what we'd actually be offered yes. But is there a way to do a soft check to see what limit we could actually be offered prior to going through the whole application?

Yes, try Nationwide CC, they will tell you the limit and APR through soft search
    Aqua Advance £ 9500 ( Settled ) | BC Platinum Card 25/25 £10500 | 24 studio £1950 | SimplyBe £1800 | Nationwide Flexplus A/C OD £800| Meaningless Noddles score= 3/5
  • geoff2
    geoff2 Posts: 70 Forumite
    edited 15 October 2016 at 8:23AM
    I would do the transfer for £1200 and then in say six months time, apply for a third card to do another 0% transfer. Don't apply for a whole bunch of cards at once because you'll get turned down and it will put negatives on her credit record. In 6 months, provided she has kept up the payments, you may get a higher limit on the new card. In the early days of having credit cards, the limits will always be modest, while she builds up a decent credit history. As an alternative, you might get a better limit by going for a low rate "life of balance" deal. MBNA are quite generous. The interest rate would be something like 4.9% fixed for the life of the debt, which can work out overall about the same cost as switching cards every so often and paying the fee.
  • SHill
    SHill Posts: 146 Forumite
    I just want to say. It's really good to see you are supporting her. I hope your OH appreciates what you have done for her.
    Please ensure she breaks her spending habit though. I'm concerned that you know what needs to be done and you have helped put a plaster on the problem but she needs to know that she can't keep spending on money she doesn't actually have.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure