UPDATED: Air Source Heat Pumps/Air Con - Full Info & Guide, is it cheaper to run than mains gas?

Comments

• bushyh
    bushyh Posts: 53 Forumite
    Oh god thanks, two different sounds that sound fantastic - will they be in tune?
  • albyota
    albyota Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    richard, as you know being an engineer, when you see a complete mix of 10 different size/manufacturers A/C systems fitted on the back of a doctors surgery, or similar, all running at the same time, it is still only marginally noisier than one or two units.
    There are three types of people in this world...those that can count ...and those that can't! ;)

* The Bitterness of Low Quality is Long Remembered after the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten!
  • albyota
    albyota Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    bushyh wrote: »
    Oh god thanks, two different sounds that sound fantastic - will they be in tune?

bushyh, ask for one tuned to C to go with the R ubbish A ir P ump....you have! :eek:
    There are three types of people in this world...those that can count ...and those that can't! ;)

* The Bitterness of Low Quality is Long Remembered after the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten!
  • bushyh
    I have amended email am pressing send and going to bed - with the electric blanket - no doubt will be awake at 5 when the pump kicks in. Night all and thank you - probably be back tomorrow for the next saga!
  • richardc1983
    richardc1983 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    bushyh wrote: »
    I have amended email am pressing send and going to bed - with the electric blanket - no doubt will be awake at 5 when the pump kicks in. Night all and thank you - probably be back tomorrow for the next saga!

Hows it been running with the 4/5c temps we have at the mo?
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • bushyh
    Ok so I'm still here just! The couple of milder days after christmas it was pretty warm so I was turning down some of the radiators. Have left them at that level as I'm fed up with messing about with them but for the last 2 days it has been cold again. It doesn't seem to have made much difference to the meter readings except on the days I actually put it back onto the time clock.
  • thechippy
    thechippy Posts: 1,938 Forumite
    As per the other posters - this system is undersized for the application.

They have mentioned converting to r407c - this is not without it's problems. Sytems on 407 seem to have an unusually high number of compressor failures, due to oil return problems.

I can't understand why they use 134a, as the condensing temp of that refrigerant is too low for heat pump applications.

They should either convert you back to a standard gch system, or remove the calorex hp and replace it with one of sufficient capacity at low ambients.
    I would not really be "stabbing on" further systems, especially another calorex which struggles below 0c.

I'm not convinced of the given heat load calcs either. The programme I use to size systems comes out around 15kw for your property (without me seeing it). That system should have never been installed in the first place, especially as it's not rated for efficient use at much less than 0c.

As Richard has stated, systems should be sized for worst case and it's a fact that ambients in the UK can reach into double minus figures. There's no point in a system that does not work when you need it most.

It's like sizing an a/c system for a building based on a max outdoor ambient of 25c - what happens when you get a period of time when it's 29c?? - the system does not work properly!!

Best of luck and keep us informed....;)
    Happiness, is a Kebab called Doner.....:heart2::heart2:
  • StuHolmes
    StuHolmes Posts: 142 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    albyota wrote: »
    great letter Bushyh, the options have got to be either a 14kW Ecodan or 14/16kW Daikin Altherma LT or 14/16kW LG Therma V, bear in mind that the LG therma V is not yet on the MCS list so does not qualify for the proposed RHI, or...... as there is gas on site get them to fit a Vaillant or Worcester Bosch system boiler with a 210L DHW cylinder, Hope you get it sorted.
    AL

by the way, although it does not matter in your case, two units would not be twice the sound level.

I have been following this thread for a long time, almost every recommendation I have seen is for one of the above heat pumps.

Nu-Heat are proposing a Hitachi Yutaki heat pump for our home. Anybody have any experience with these?
  • richardc1983
    richardc1983 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    StuHolmes wrote: »
    I have been following this thread for a long time, almost every recommendation I have seen is for one of the above heat pumps.

Nu-Heat are proposing a Hitachi Yutaki heat pump for our home. Anybody have any experience with these?

Dont think they are at all bad are the Hitachi Range.

Have your installers also looked at Samsung EHS?
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • bushyh
    No reply from Builders yet but electricty bill for the quarter has arrived - make sure you are sat down. My last 3 years gas and electric combined albeit in smaller house with gas boiler were £300, £252, £282 I would expect given the change in size the annual bill to be around £350 to £400 - but it was £626 for the quarter! Anyone know about planning, if the asp was a condition of planning would there have been anything linked to that quantifying expected energy savings/usage given presumably the purpose is to reduce carbon footprint?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback