We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017

Comments

• CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Welcome to the fresh new faces joining us.

Ellie - I'd probably have a think about what you like to eat, and whats relatively expensive to buy in and then attempt to grow that - if space is limited. That way you're getting the most ££ saving out of the space you have. For example using what space you have for something like potatoes (which are cheap to buy) wouldnt save/earn as much compared to if you used it for items such as berries (price per punnet is disgusting!).
    For children, something like strawberries, peas or beans I would say are a good start. Start saving loo roll inners for carrot sowing. One of the short varieties are easy to grow in a pot/trug/windo box for little hands. Tomatoes too, although I would opt for a bush variety that doesnt need as much staking. Alternatively get a tumbling variety and grow them in a hanging basket.
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    CAFCGirl wrote: »
    My dining room table is 50% covered in seed trays and coir pellets :)

Yesterday saw me up the plot and we now have 16 raised beds ready for things to go in. Then back home, and I've sown spinach, lavender, brussel sprouts, sunflower, cucumber and tomato. I now have another two trays of coir pellets to sow into today ready. Also found my stash of half size propagator trays from the great W***ko sale so might use one of those and chuck some cress in just for fun.

We're predicted rain for the midweek and sun again by the weekend. Its coming, Spring is coming!

That is really impressive. Sunny day today I am clearing out the green house ready for seed sowing this Sunday, really looking forward to it.
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Ellie79 wrote: »
    Hi, wondering if I can join in? Little late, I know.

Really want to try and grow some bits and pieces this year. On a tight budget and it has been a while since I have managed to keep on top of the garden. Need a plan for the year, as very busy finishing my studies. However, I would like to grow some basics and give my 5 year old a little place to grow her own veg too.

I have two of the little plastic type greenhouses already.

Really, I was wondering if all you amazingly green fingered lovelies might be able to help me out with some tips to start?

I was planning on getting a little plot in the garden sectioned off as soon as the weather is kind. Oh and as soon as I have begun my annual battle with the slugs!

I agree with CAFGirl, grow what you love but what is expensive to buy. Bush toms in a pot are great, peas and beans are very easy if you like the, soft fruit is simple but takes a couple of years to establish.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ellie79 Last year I gave a five year old (his mother works for us and he is here in school hols) a small piece in the polytunnel. We grew a courgette and two tomatoes. Outside he had another space and we grew another courgette, 6 french climbing beans, 4 runner beans, six sweetcorn, a few strawberries and sunflowers - the sweetcorn were adjacent to mine as 6 is too small for pollination. He had to weed his patches when he was here and kept everything that grew (plus of course anything else growing at the time) He potted up one runner from each strawberry plant, having to choose the biggest/healthy one. He also saved some of the runner bean seeds to replant this year, plus he now has double the amount of strawberry plants. I had forgotten about this until he reminded me earlier this week so he obviously enjoyed 'helping'

Courgettes they are easy and very productive, I always grow Defender as it's mildew resistant and gives good crops, yellow ones look attractive, are expensive in the supermarkets, taste delicious, but not as prolific. Sow in late March if you are reasonably south and use one of your greenhouses to start them off.
    French Beans I used Cobra, very disease resistant and good crops, I sow as for runner beans but we do live in the south.
    Runner beans Firestorm, I sow late March to go out in early May
    Strawberry Mine were Marshmellow, but Cambridge favourite are really tough plants
    Sweetcorn. I wouldn't bother with them unless you have a larger patch of them growing very close
    Radish and salad leaves also worth considering for your youngster as they are quick to grow
  • tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No news about any more free allotments yet but I have got round to sowing some garlic. I nearly rushed out and bought some of the cardboard seedling tubs but then stopped myself as i had enough loo rolls and ice cream tubs to do six. Why am i wasting money? They are indoors at the moment because of the wind! I also read that some people grow garlic in their yards as a deterrent for cats so might try this theory out too!

Can you grow raspberries and blueberries in tubs? Or am i better waiting until i get an allotment? We have a concrete small backyard.

My eldest loves smoothies and blueberries are so expensive so I am thinking of encouraging her to help with this. Youngest just has green fingers and is happy to help with whatever!
    Go get it!
  • Hi Everyone
    I'm a bit late this year - the house repairs and decluttering have kept me busy. But I have a few things started - I still have plenty of food in the freezer from last year but I've run out of potatoes now and also had to buy garlic.
    I'll need to have a read back to catch up with you all. Tibawo yes grow the blueberries in tubs - they need ericaceous soil to do well. Make sure the tubes are big or you'll restrict their growth and if you're buying from scratch then make sure you get plants that fruit at different times - so you have them throughout the season.
    Last year my fruit was very good and I still have a tonne left in the freezer - which if wonderful for jellies and pies.
  • downshifted
    downshifted Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sent you a PM Zafiro, but if anyone else is interested in our asparagus, we bought one of the sets of Asparagus offered by Thomson and Morgan - it's 10 each of Ariane, Pacific 2000, Pacific Purple and Mondeo. We really like asparagus so hoping in a few years time to have loads! Also, as we get older, it will be nice to have a bed that needs little cultivation but produces lovely asparagus. Fingers crossed!
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
  • Not much to report here. Greenhouses survived thankfully and my wild garlic is starting to poke through which is a bonus

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sent you a PM Zafiro, but if anyone else is interested in our asparagus, we bought one of the sets of Asparagus offered by Thomson and Morgan - it's 10 each of Ariane, Pacific 2000, Pacific Purple and Mondeo. We really like asparagus so hoping in a few years time to have loads! Also, as we get older, it will be nice to have a bed that needs little cultivation but produces lovely asparagus. Fingers crossed!

I've answered your PM, thanks for the info.

It's not sure whether it going to be sunny or rain here. Today I'm having an indoor day as I need to sort out paperwork not to mention VAT. I may be able to sneak in a couple of hours seed sowing or potting up later - hope so.
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    tibawo wrote: »

Can you grow raspberries and blueberries in tubs? Or am i better waiting until i get an allotment? We have a concrete small backyard.

My eldest loves smoothies and blueberries are so expensive so I am thinking of encouraging her to help with this. Youngest just has green fingers and is happy to help with whatever!

I dont re the raspberries but blueberries are quite suied to pots as they require different soil/ph levels to thrive.
    Mine is on the plot in a contained with ericaceous (spelling is SO wrong!), and I'm planning on getting another 2 plants at least this year.

HTH
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills