Buyers address is a PostOffice

Options
Ive sold a relatively low cost item £25 incl postage and the buyers address on eBay is similar to.. (note ive changed the exact details but you will get the drift)

Mr <his name>
Royal Mail
<NiceTown> Delivery Office
High Street
<NiceTown>
<post code>

Ive sent two messages now without reply asking for him to confirm delivery address

The place exists and its a small village (lots of red/white blue bunting on the shops on Street View) but unless the buyer actually lives there and runs the post office, I wonder how it would be signed for or how the buyer would even know it was there?

I'll probably wait for the reply as i'm a bit wary, but just wondered if sending to a post office is a typical thing nowadays with people not being in to receive parcels when at work etc?

Thanks

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I send to delivery offices, forwarding companies, post offices, hotels etc etc.

Perhaps he/she works at the delivery office? It's the quickest way to get their mail and as far as you are concerned would be dealt with in the same way as if you'd sent it to 1 High Street.....

You do know that a Delivery Office isn't a Post Office don't you?
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How do you know they don't work there? Even Royal Mail workers buy online nowadays.

The buyer is either too busy to answer your questions or miffed why you are asking them to confirm their address. As long as it is the address PayPal gives and you can prove on-line tracking to the address give you will be alright.
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks for the replies,

Yes, I do understand the delivery office is not the same as a post office but on Street View it looks to be one and the same place.

I'm a very occasional ebay seller and haven;t come across this before but I guess it seems all above board.

Cheers.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Options
    seen a few DO staff use the address for deliveries.
    I don't know the RM policy,but would guess it shouldnt be done.
    It maybe they don't live in their offices delivery area,so this is the easier option.
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 March 2017 at 12:25PM
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    I don't know the RM policy,but would guess it shouldnt be done.

Thanks for the reply - That was my thinking too, if I send a jiffy bag by MyHermes or Collect+ then why would a Royal Mail delivery office sign for it on behalf of someone that may or may not live in the area and how would they let that person know. More to the point, how would I defend a 'not delivered' claim!

The more I think about it, the more I am sure its an employee so probably OK.

As 'theonlywayisup' states in a post above - they send to delivery offices without any problems.
    I send to delivery offices,

Cheers to all.
  • ballisticbrian
    Options
    It's surprising how often something in address refers to a post office, or an "old" post office. I guess there's a lot of buildings or homes that were once post offices such as this one in Boscastle, Cornwall:

the-old-post-office.jpg
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ive been to a post office thats also part of a farm, they use the PO address because your more likely to find that than the farm one. Quaint corner shop/PO where the rear if the farmhouse and then the farms courtyard with outbuildings spreading outwards.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know if this is still there, but I've actually been to this post office in a garden shed in Kylesku, Scotland:

smallest%20post%20office.jpg
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know if this is still there, but I've actually been to this post office in a garden shed in Kylesku, Scotland:

Not according to the branch locator.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Options

Nice pics - but the OP (if you read the abbreviated) address is a DELIVERY OFFICE, not a POST OFFICE.

Delivery offices and post offices are commonly mixed up by people because they seem to think the Post Office and Royal Mail are the same.

As a standard Joe Public you take your parcel to a Post Office but your Royal Mail postie will deliver it from his local Delivery Office.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure