Add your feedback on energy supplier Sainsbury’s Energy

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Shambles here.

Reply to my email says sorry its taken so long to reply but they are busy and will try to apply within another 5 days. Also saying not to phone as they are too busy and use their website.

Problem is that the website shows no services for me!
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • I switched to Sainsbury's, which is actually British Gas, in June 2016.

Now my credit score has been affected - it has dropped by almost 100 points because it says I "opened up 2 new credit accounts in the last 6 months" (1 is gas, 1 is electricity!), which suggests I can not afford to live on my existing income.

I am trying to keep my credit score high so I can apply for a mortgage in the next few months. All I did was switch energy suppliers. Had I known my credit score would be affected by doing so, I would have have stayed with my previous supplier.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Your "credit score" is a pretty meaningless number. Companies looking for your credit rating don't even see it AFAIK, what they do get is a report detailing all references to your credit file in recent years. It i then up to them to interpret it as they see fit.
    If you had applied for 10 credit cards in the last 6 months, it might have some impact. Changing utility providers/accounts is unlikely to.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• I too am experiencing problems of slow switch and being told that I can't get online access for a month. I wish that I had read this forum before choosing Sainsbury's Energy.
  • I was in the process of transferring to Sainsburys Energy. They said that in order to open my account with them they needed a deposit of £90. This seems to be due to my credit history. I have never come across this before and it seems more than a little discriminatory. I think that in the comparison section there needs to be a warning that they do this and would have wanted £125 for my gas! I had no problems re my credit history in terms of recently renting a house. This seems a very unfair practice of theirs.
  • I called Sainsburys Energy today to request that they increase my direct debit as, having recently switched from British Gas as part of the collective Big Switch Event 5, I considered the first payment to be too low. When I gave them the value I thought to be more in line with my usage (£75 / month) they advised me that I wasn't on the best tariff, I had been switched to a low use tariff. I can't see anywhere that the need to know guidance said this wasn't the cheapest tariff. Anyone advise. I'm now on Sainsbury's Energy - SE Price Freeze October 2017 for clarity
  • I was in the process of transferring to Sainsburys Energy. They said that in order to open my account with them they needed a deposit of £90. This seems to be due to my credit history. I have never come across this before and it seems more than a little discriminatory. I think that in the comparison section there needs to be a warning that they do this and would have wanted £125 for my gas! I had no problems re my credit history in terms of recently renting a house. This seems a very unfair practice of theirs.

Security deposits are normal in the energy industry, particuarly as you've recently moved houses, and your credit history may be slightly below the standard required not to have a deposit. I believe F.Utility, BG and most of the big six have security deposits, I'm afraid - to protect against bad debts and the cost of servicing these from other bill payers.

Normally, your deposit is added to your bill after 12 months, but I may be wrong :)
    Thank you all for helping me make my day by saving money!
  • I called Sainsburys Energy today to request that they increase my direct debit as, having recently switched from British Gas as part of the collective Big Switch Event 5, I considered the first payment to be too low. When I gave them the value I thought to be more in line with my usage (£75 / month) they advised me that I wasn't on the best tariff, I had been switched to a low use tariff. I can't see anywhere that the need to know guidance said this wasn't the cheapest tariff. Anyone advise. I'm now on Sainsbury's Energy - SE Price Freeze October 2017 for clarity

Have a look on your energy bill, as you'll be able to see if there is a cheaper overall tariff available for you within the Centrica (BG/Sainsbury's Energy) family.

Alternatively, it may be worth popping in your estimated annual KWH figures into an independent price comparison website, just to make sure there is no other energy provider you can make a bigger saving with. Do bear in mind, and I wouldn't be sure, but exit fees may apply :)
    Thank you all for helping me make my day by saving money!
  • I've just been in the process of "switching" from British Gas to Sainsbury's Energy online on behalf of elderly relatives.

I have selected the pay by quarterly cash/cheque option and the final sign-up page confirms this. However, when I read the terms and conditions linked at the bottom of the page it states "Paying for your energy - You’ll need to pay by Direct Debit" and no information about other payment options.

Surely this can't be the only way they can pay? If so, why give the option to select quarterly or monthly cash/cheque payments?

I've tried calling pretty much every phone number listed on their website only to be told they're unable to answer such queries (as the phone numbers are for existing customers and quotes only).

My relatives received a letter from British Gas recently stating "as you have not being paying your Direct Debits recently, we will now be billing you monthly" - they have never had a Direct Debit set up before! After calling to get this changed back to quarterly payments they were told that the letter had been sent to everyone with a smart meter, regardless of whether they had been paying by Direct Debit or not. Not sure if a similar situation would arise with Sainsbury's as a means to force people into paying by DD?
  • SP they are crap at getting things right! Here is what trick they did with me... I decided to shift to Sainsbury's and they were just as bad by not getting my gas account opened in time. So SP just estimated it BUT deliberately OVER ESTIMATED IT (In July when it's red hot and boiler is off so no way estimate can be higher than a winter month) - over estimate was TWICE of winter month in July!!! And to rub salt both Scottish Power and Sainsbury's Energy have not sorted it out!!! So SP over charged with over estimate and SE over charge by using lower correct gas reading SO I HAVE LOST OUT both hitting me from both side! STUPID customer service keeps ringing me saying it's sorted when it's NOT!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback