MSE News: MSE Big Energy Switch Event 5: British Gas £300/yr saving for new &...

Comments

• British_Gas_Rep_Matt
    British_Gas_Rep_Matt Posts: 179 Organisation Representative
    So my original post indicating my unhappy experience so far and BG's response have been deleted. I wonder why!!

I have had four emailed supply dates, plus the original estimate, which makes a total of 5 dates so far.

Obviously the first two dates have passed, so the latest supply date (for gas) is 25th October.

Can someone please explain what is going on? Switching time is supposed to be 17 days: It is now 24 days since I started this process

Hi Crinkmeister, I assure you I've not deleted any of my posts and deleting your post isn't something I could or would do.
    If there's been a delay in switching your supply, you shouldn't keep getting new dates and we'll need to check your account to let you know more about what's going on.
    Please call our Collective Tariff Team on 0800 975 9712 & one of our advisors will find out exactly when you'll be switching. Thanks, Matt
    I am the official company representative of British Gas. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • British_Gas_Rep_Matt
    JC383 wrote: »
    Something definitely not right with submitting meter readings online, as I have done this twice now and have checked with customer services via email to be told nothing has registered!!

One of the reasons I've always been reluctant to change suppliers is the bad press it gets as there always seems to be problems.

Hi JC383, we've not found any fault with submitting opening readings at the moment; however I get that just because we've not found any problems doesn't mean there aren't any.
    We are listening to everyone who's told us they're having trouble and are investigating what's causing the trouble.
    I hope my colleague submitted your opening meter readings for you but if you still need to submit your readings. Please just visit https://www.britishgas.co.uk/youraccount/discover/submit-meter-reading.html with your supply numbers to hand & select the link in the middle labelled 'New to British Gas'
    In the meantime if you'd like to email your details to talktous@britishgas.co.uk, I'll pop your details over to our Technical Team to find out why you've had trouble. Please just include your MSE Username & MSE Forums in the subject heading. Thanks, Matt
    I am the official company representative of British Gas. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • British_Gas_Rep_Matt
    Got an email from EDF my previous supplier telling me my switch to BG is completed. However, all I have is a welcome e mail from BG. They also asked me to register for an online account but I can't because I don't have an account number. I haven't been asked to give meter readings yet either.

EDF have asked me to go back to them and given the feedback on here I will be contacting them tomorrow. I also remember now why I switched away from BG 5 years ago - its because of their terrible customer service.

Hi fussypensioner; that doesn't sound right. You should've had an email containing a link to set up an online account as well as an email reminding you to submit your opening readings.
    Please call our Collective Tariff Team on 0800 975 9712 and we'll check what's going on with your switch.
    To be on the safe side, I also recommend adding *@britishgas.co.uk to a safe list of sends with your email provider, just in case they're blocking or directing any emails to your spam folder. Thanks, Matt
  • British_Gas_Rep_Matt
    jeglet wrote: »
    Late into this thread as I checked to see I am not the only one confused by multiple emails and ever changing service start dates. Cold comfort for us all to be in the same boat! I have 4 gas accounts, 2 x 2 duplicates, plus 1 energy account, 2 sets of meter readings submitted but none registered yet. Hopefully this does not mean I have to pay 5 times...

Hi jeglit, you won't be paying 5 times but sounds like a bit of a jumble & we'll need to take a look at things to sort this out.
    Please call Collective Tariff Team on 0800 975 9712 & we'll sort things out for you. Thanks, Matt
  • British_Gas_Rep_Matt
    Zippy69 wrote: »
    For those already with British Gas on the MSE Collective Fix (ending this December) that took advantage of the new Collective Fix (ending October 2017), be sure to check your new direct debit and projections as failure to do so may lead to a heart attack!!

Login in to British Gas and go to Your account > Manage account > Check my plan

My previous direct debit was £81pm

Once I switched to the new Collective, BG automatically increased my direct debit to a whopping £125pm!

They then projected that at the end of the fix, they would owe me £394!!

Luckily, you can change the direct debit amount which in turn changes the projected figures at the end of the switch.

I changed mine to the minimum allowed which was £96pm which instead means I'm projected to be in credit by 11p at the end of the fix!

The money is better in your account than theirs! :beer:

Hi Zippy69, I totally agree that's 2 different messages and you're totally right to drop your payments, rather than pay more than you need to.
    Sounds like you've sorted this out online but we'll be happy to take a look at this for you; please just call our Collective Tariff Team on 0800 975 9712. Thanks, Matt
  • British_Gas_Rep_Matt
    Matt i really want to share with you links to my screenshots of my messed up account without any account info showing, just to show you and the public all the website errors im getting.

But im not allowed to post links or upload images how lucky is that for you!

Btw ive had 3 different people tell me my account is setup but what the website is showing me is totally different, i would love to add the images to prove it but hey ....... its not allowed here so matt can get away with saying website faults aint true.

Hi unhappychappy, I'm certainly not saying the website is perfect as it's not. However it's normal for the link asking you to submit your opening reading to still be displayed, after you've already submitted your readings.
    I agree it would be best for it not to show anymore and have passed feedback to our Website Team to see what they can do to change this in the future.
    We are listening to everyone who's told us they've had trouble submitting their readings and we're investigating this further.
    The screenshots you've taken will really help us get to the bottom of any problems and if it's not too much trouble, please email them to talktous@britishgas.co.uk, including your MSE Usernames & MSE Forums in the subject heading. Thanks, Matt
  • Raine_E_Day
    Raine_E_Day Posts: 812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 17 October 2016 at 6:47PM
    Hi Raine E Day, I see how it could seem like a lot of nonsense but we do need to formally agree the transfer reading with Eon.
    Although suppliers can object to reach others readings, I'd be surprised if any supplier 'knocked back' a reading if it was only 4 units from what they'd expected.
    However we'll need to check your account to find out more about why you're getting conflicting info; please call our Collective Tariff Team 0800 975 9712 and we can check how things stand. Thanks, Matt

Matt
    Just to clarify, surely you understand that the nonsense I referred to was not the actual transfer procedure for agreement of both BG and EON but the way it has been implemented together with useless website? You express surprise yourself at what I was told by a BG employee about my reading being 'knocked back'. I had to phone EON to try and sort it out. Waste of time, because they denied it, and emailed final bill same day using my readings.

In total I think I have rung BG six times (on dedicated number, and no point in doing so again because there are no answers except, "it's the website"). I imagine you have read my other post from this morning, which necessitated another half hour or so on the phone, and two call backs from Ben in Cardiff, who was very helpful, probably because he told me he had to deal with it as a complaint that would escalate in 24 hours if outcome not satisfactory. I now have confirmation email from him that the 50% increase in my tariff over the weekend is a computer error, but will take a while to rectify my account. We are encouraged by BG to register online, but then have to deal with all this. I think I am entitled to call it nonsense!
    “Rain drops are not the ones who bring the clouds.”
  • This is become a nightmare. It looks like my electricity has switched (I can see this from my previous providers' website), however I have received a text from SSE Hydro requesting my Gas meter reading as they seem to think I've switched to them? I've never used SSE so no idea how that could have happened. The Gas is still showing as Scottish Power are waiting for BG to finalise the readings.

I actually tried to cancel the switch after reading this thread but the email address provided on the website just bounced back and I didn't have time to call.

I've given meter readings to BG but everytime I log in it asks for the meter point numbers so I can't get any further into the account.
  • Hi Crinkmeister, I assure you I've not deleted any of my posts and deleting your post isn't something I could or would do.
    If there's been a delay in switching your supply, you shouldn't keep getting new dates and we'll need to check your account to let you know more about what's going on.
    Please call our Collective Tariff Team on 0800 975 9712 & one of our advisors will find out exactly when you'll be switching. Thanks, Matt

My apologies - I found the post - it didn't come up when I did a search for some reason.

Anyway, Jamie-Lee responded to my email and confirmed my start date will be 25th October. Fingers crossed, although I still keep getting emails requesting MORE meter readings! I'll just keep putting them in until it stops.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
  • I still find that ,after doing the calculations, that my npower is about as cheap as the cheapest.I don'[t use TCR which gives too high a price ,but TIL which is the actual rate. So I moved to a May 2018 fix which is only £50 a year more expensive. Inflation will remove that difference as the $ gets more expensive
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure