PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lunchbox ideas

Can anyone give me some snack-type ideas for my OH's lunchbox, other than the usual fruit/biscuits/crisps?

He works 10 hour shifts and has no access to either a fridge or microwave so it needs to be something he can keep in his bag all day!

He used to have access to a microwave in his previous job so he would take leftovers from the night before, obviously he can't do this anymore :(

TIA x

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,578 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    If he is into healthy snacks I take nuts, dried fruit, hummus and chopped carrots, cucumber and celery. I take a mini cool bag for the hummus and yogurts.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • He could take a flask of stew, bolognaise, soup etc. The microwave pots are a complete waste of money.

The best flasks we have had lately are the Wilkinsons own brand ones that keep contents warm for twelve hours.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Tortilla slices, felafels, scotch egg, boiled eggs (still in shells).
    Pitta stuffed with things: tuna/egg/mayo; carrots/raisins/mandarin segments; curried coleslaw, with or without apple/nuts; felafels with a splash of chilli sauce or other favourite; sausage/egg slices; egg/tomato/salad cream or mayo; corned beef/tomato/splash of salad cream
  • Hi Sacha, the rice snacka jacs are tasty - there are different flavours, or ryvita - there are again different flavours like black pepper - he can add a topping or eat on its own - Tesc own black pepper crackers are gorgeous! you could get little triangle cheeses or a tub of cheese for him to dip in. get a cooler bag and put ice in it. :)
  • HOWMUCH
    HOWMUCH Posts: 1,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Invest in a wide neck flask then he can take hot food during these cold months. B&M do 3 mug shot sfor a £1 pasta/noodle instant just add hot water. Invest in a cool bag and small ice block,Fruit, cheese and onion pasties, bread rolls filled with cheese, meat, egg. Salads but do not cut toms up until he eats.
    Why pay full price when you may get it YS ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure