Council Tax Bands Challenge

Options
I have a neighbour (right next door) who is paying a lower banded Council Tax than me and I challenged unsuccessfully. I now know I wasted my time for one simple element. I purchased my house from people that had lived here for 30 years. The key point is that if your house has not been sold since around 1991 then no stats exist and therefore no challenge will ever work. My neighbour has a bigger house than me, with a loft conversion but has been sold 3 times since 1991 which means it has stats on previous prices and therefore remains in the lower band. It would be interesting to know if any others have experienced the same as it is so unfair to pay more council tax than a neighbour who has a bigger property than you.

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the loft conversion was carried out by a former owner, then the band of your neighbour's house should have been reviewed following the relevant sale.

i'm ex VOA and dealt with thousands of appeals and band review requests where there was no direct 1991 sales evidences. Band reductions where warranted, were given. It may be that the VOA will now not spend time doing a proper investigation into less simple band reviews.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure