Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    poorbutrich
    PBR's "M" for "mortgage" diary!
    • 28th Aug 11, 8:39 PM
    PBR's "M" for "mortgage" diary! 28th Aug 11 at 8:39 PM
    Hi there
    I hope it's ok to join you! I have been lurking on these threads for a while and have been very inspired by your stories and success.

We bought our house two years ago and paid too much for it! I resent every penny in interest we're paying on it and am determined to be MF as soon as possible!

I am married to a lovely, wonderful man who shares my dreams to be MF most of the time, but is very busy with work and studying, so the practicalities are left to me. While he's supportive of my extra curricular activities that I undertake in order to bring extra pennies, he doesn't have time to do the same and can sometimes come home with cans of beer or a takeaway! He's not as meticulous as I am with comparing prices and ensuring he gets the best deal, but he's perfect in every other way, so I can live with it

The other reason for paying off our mortgage asap is that I am six months pregnant, and it's recently occured to me that I won't be working (and therefore earning!) for six months, and that we'll most likely have a BABY at the end of the year!

I'm going to detail the silly little things that keep the wheels turning and how I am going to cut back and overpay as much as possible!!

Today's thing was selling various CDs and things lying around the house. Several things have ended on that auction site tonight, netting us 40, so that's a good start!

Looking to hearing your views and getting a good kick when my energy starts to fail!
Page 21
  • mouche
    Hope all is going well with you pbr! Had to laugh at your buying your friend lunch story - just goes to show what a lovely person you are!
    Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ 168,939.53 (27/01/2015).
    MFW target for 2014: 180/ 2,160
    2014 Challenges
    Grocery Challenge: suspended till March
    Make 50 a month: 22.92/50
  • poorbutrich
    Hi Mouche! Great to see you back. Sorry to hear about your OH - hope he's better now.

Thanks for your kind comments; I think the truth is more that I am completely disorganised and a terrible cook so tend to be the one who buys food for people!

Glad you're back - I think my spending will be kept in check now; you're very influential!
    Overpay!
  • poorbutrich
    I've been thinking a lot about my last post and have been trying to learn how to cook the basics! DH is finding it all very amusing.

We also made 50 at a table top sale on Saturday morning which will help a bit with the grocery bill this week and nice to have a good clear out too. Yesterday, we used some loyalty card points to go to the cinema for the first time as a family and yet more loyalty points to get a pizza - very rare for us to do that and a nice feeling to "earn" it rather than pay for it!
    Overpay!
  • poorbutrich
    Feeling very skint at the moment - not sure why. Have sold some furniture and other bits and bobs and made about 30. Will venture out to the shed over the weekend to see if there's anything else we can sell - a romantic Valentine's weekend!

Very excited to see Martin MSE get his much-deserved OBE today! Congratulations Martin - I am just one of thousands, if not millions, of people who has benefited from your wisdom. Thank you!
    Overpay!
  • poorbutrich
    Hello everyone. Hello? Just me here I think!

Still selling everything that's not nailed down. I found a couple of squash racquets in the shed that I sold for a couple of quid; still that's better than them sitting there unused!

I've been listing on eb4y like crazy and funnily enough managed to sell a book to someone I knew! Still more things can be listed though - particularly a couple of unwanted Christmas gifts that I think I can get away with!

I've also got the comping bug at the moment - I last went through this phase in 2008 and forgot how much fun it was. Haven't won anything yet, but fingers crossed.

Right, I think I'll list my Toast dress as I'm unlikely to wear it. After that, it might be sensible to try to earn more money rather than giving all of my money to eb4y!

Right. Must make dinner. Is there a baked beans money saving icon?
    Overpay!
  • poorbutrich
    It's May tomorrow and my last post was in March - not sure how that happened. I definitely seem to make more progress with the mortgage when I post on here.

Some things I've done this week:

1. Listed more stuff on eb4y.
    2. Did a speech to a business networking group which has helped with my visibility and created some orders!
    3. Have got a couple more clients, so hopefully will be able to overpay the mortgage for the first time in ages once they pay up!
    4. Tried to swap some children's books. This did not go very well. I ended up giving the books away and then buying more.
    4. Entered a couple of comps.
    5. Offered my focus group services to a new business and got their DVD for free, which I'm pleased about as I would have happily paid for it.

That's it for the moment. Let's hope I end May with as much moneysaving fervour as I entered it with!
    Overpay!
  • poorbutrich
    Hello May!

Right, what MSE stuff have I done so far this month?

Good things

1. Used Clubcard points to take DS to the cinema....
    2. ..and took our own snacks.
    3. Not used the car much
    4. Some friends came over and I COOKED instead of going out and no one got ill from my cooking.
    5. Thought I needed a bookcase to house my junk but reconfigured things slightly and got rid of stuff saving a trip to Ikea and lots of cash!
    6. Listed more stuff on eBay - lots of clothes.

Bad things

1. Bought far too many coffees in my attempt to borrow broadband.
    2. Bought a DVD
    3. Sold some clothes and accidentally listed them for postage instead of collection. Might make a loss here; kicks self.
    4. Ate junk food.
    5. Bought flowers.
    6. Had to book a hotel for an overnight stay as DH could not be persuaded to camp.
    7. Listed some box sets on ebay for much less than I paid for them to reflect the going rate. Why did I buy them in the first place??? I have two identical box sets of the same series - admittedly, it is a good series, but not that good!

6 v 7. Must try harder!
    Overpay!
  • poorbutrich
    Hello me (not sure there's anyone else out there!)
    How are you?
    I'm fine.
    Are you? You look tired.

Today's MSE activities:

Good
    -Cooking dinner without the help of any packets or ready meals DH shouting in the background.

-Drove (that's not so good), but found a free parking space so saved on parking charges.

- Was so busy I forgot to have lunch. Kerching!

-Bought a cappuccino

-Yet another ebay postage miscalculation. I think my ebaying days are over now and I'll do a bootsale this weekend.

Bad
    -Discovering I'd made a typo on a quote to a customer, resulting in a very low day rate. Does Harrison Ford do stuff like that? Nicole Kidman? No? Just me then.

-Washed hair at gym after the briefest of swims.

That's it for today - hopefully the small matter of voting tomorrow should keep my mind on my finances since we don't know what the next government will bring!
    Overpay!
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 6th May 15, 8:26 PM
    • 15,030 Posts
    • 95,429 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Chin up chuck, could be worse, you could be Nick Clegg .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Interim target: 100k by Aug 13 - met Sept 13 Next: 50k by Sept 14 - met Aug 14 Final: 0 by 1/9/15, currently 24.4k 24.3k 22.6k 19.7k 15.7k
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • poorbutrich
    True! I shall remember that next time I can't pay my credit card bill!
    Overpay!
  • poorbutrich
    So how did we get on in PBRland with being MSE today?

Good
    -Sold one of my final items on ebay
    -Have booked a boot sale for the weekend. No rain please!
    -Leftovers for lunch
    -Checked accounts and moved some money over from Paypal
    -Got a free Amaz0n voucher
    - Signed up to www.freepostcodelottery.com

Bad

-Drove DS into town to take him swimming and he fell asleep - so a 20 mile round trip for nothing!
    Overpay!
  • poorbutrich
    Today's update:

Good

-A customer from the earliest days of my freelancing gig has reappeared and wants me to do some more work - hurray!

-Had free (and delicious, I might add) sandwiches at a meeting.

-Used gym membership for aerobics

Bad

-Am going to have to leave eBay after a toxic person gave me nasty feedback. I admitted I'd made a mistake and refunded them so they were not out of pocket, so I just don't understand why people get so angry and negative. A sign of life going well for them I guess if they think this is a disaster, or maybe time for them to sign up for anger management classes! Bye bye ebay (I was going anyway!)

-Lost my game of chicken with DH (he probably has no idea that he is involved in this game of mine) and had to fill the car with fuel!

3-2, although the ebay woman upset me so much, this feels like 2 bad things!
    Overpay!
  • poorbutrich
    What did I do yesterday? Scratches head.

Good

Today, I did a boot sale and didn't make a fortune but got rid of most stuff. I'll drop the rest to the charity shop tomorrow.

Other good stuff- we went to a concert and didn't realise lunch was included, so that was a nice surprise.
    Had to get a wedding present for someone (see below), but found that I already had a card in my stash!

Bad

Have to get a wedding present for someone!
    Overpay!
  • poorbutrich
    How is it August?! And how come I wrote my last post in May?!

I can't remember what we've been up to since then, but in the last week, our MSE endeavours have been:

Good:
    1.Sold my car.

2. We were given a lot of food that someone was going to throw away as they were going on holiday. Three pots of crme fraiche, smoked salmon, lots of veg, lots of desserts and fruit, which fed us for ages and I'm sure we appreciated it more than the waste disposal would have done.

3. Sold some bits and bobs on eBay that were worth more than I thought. A first for me - I usually get this the wrong way around.

Bad

A friend's birthday and a couple of outings. Also, I managed to head out a couple of times without a picnic (as it was hot), so had to go to a variety of cafes!

Must plan ahead better, but all in all, not a bad few months.

See you all at Christmas!
    Overpay!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

365Posts Today

2,364Users online

Martin's Twitter