Time to grow up.

So after stalking, I mean reading most of the diaries on the forum. I thought it was time I took the plunge and stood up and said 'Hi my name is XXX and I have debt.'
I could say my debt started when my dad passed away suddenly but personally I think it was a case of 'oh I want that. Let's pop it in the debit card and increase the overdraft limit.'
I guess my LBM was last week when I was running late for a hospital appointment, had no money in the bank to get a cab (the bus I needed was once every hour' so I had to phone the bank of mum and beg (this was 3 days I borrowed money of the bank of mum for a friends wedding.)
I'm turning 30 in a 6 short weeks so I've decided it's time to become an adult and get a grip.
So here's my figures.
2400 to TSB courtesy of an overdraft (currently only paying interest)
800 to capital one and 500 to HMRC (took them 5 years to tell me I had been overpaid in tax credits.)
I've followed all the advice on the site and according to whatsthecost.com I'll be debt free in 7 months (capital one and OD only) as with cutting back I SHOULD be able to pay £500 a month starting Januray (Great time to become an adult when Christmas is around the corner!)
Just a little background.
I live with the boy and the doctor in a two bedroom flat. No kids apart from O (who's my little fluffy princess)
I have two jobs a full time one (finding out if I got made permanent on the 5th of December) and a part time one.
SOA to follow. It's a little complex as the boy also has his own debt he's dealing with so we literally 3rd everything.

I've had a look at the other pages and signed up for all the free lotterys (it breaks my heart on a daily basis when I don't win) volunteering for overtime (8.15 hours in the space of two days) and selling stuff on facebay and gumtree (I know eBay is great but I've never learnt how to use it!)

So I guess that's me! Looking forward for my debts to go down and my savings to go up! Who knows maybe this adult thing won't be so bad
Virgin Money £0/£1445
TSB £0/£659.53
BOM £0/£1480
Tesco £8.36/£4647.26
Total £8.36/£8231.79 0.101%

Comments

• Candy0107
    Candy0107 Posts: 1,642 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi, didn't want to read and run. Sorry for your loss - the realisation of my debts came shortly after my dad's death.

You can do this. Post a list of your income and outgoings so people can make suggestions.

Candy
    Debts at the start of my journey - about £23,000 lightbulb moment 01.03.2007 (1st payment to CCCS)..Debt Free Date 25.06.2013 Deposit savings £17,000/£30,000
  • Megano
    Megano Posts: 324 Forumite
    edited 23 November 2015 at 9:15PM
    Thanks for your kind words Candy. In truth it was a bit of a blessing when he died as he was really really ill and practically everyday he just resented living as he was housebound and got his independence taking away from him as he had Parkinson's (wouldn't have been so bad if they caught it earlier or if he took his tablets but unless someone has a TARDIS I cant really lecture him now :P:P:P)

So moment of truth *Deep breath* here it goes my statement of affairs.

(Since the boy has his own debt what he earns he keeps and vise versa, it might not work for some households but for us it works just fine)

FT Wages (have been wrong for the past two months but last month when it was wrong I got =1285.01
    P/T Wages (this will be my first month so expecting) = £180 (thank you math classes)

Other money = £470 - This is most likely to remain the same until May but then can drop to £220

TOTAL going forward est = £1935.01 (for now)

(Again this is what I need to spend)
    Rent = £450 (for the next two months though its going to be £500 as I had to change the rent date)
    Council tax = £100
    Electricity = £65 (Cant make this any cheaper as we have an eco 8 meter which means that the eco 7 meter has two other prices, basically SP are the only provider who can supply us)
    Sky TV, LL and BB = £37 (rounded up)
    Mobile phone £27 (use to work for EE so get 30% discount)

BT sports = £23.99 (sorry boy this is going) (Then again he pays for my cineworld card, Ack he can use his mums logins #ToughLove)
    House insurance £9.03 (this might get cancelled as we live on a 3rd story flat, with secure enter system and CCTV everywhere. If someone does break in then quite frankly they deserve it as that's a lot of effort to go to for a flat break in)
    Kitty insurance £20.13
    I don’t do the food in my house I pay the boy £150 and he’s in charge of the food shopping *Including the cats* (Neither of us can cook to save ourselves so I think for the next few months its going to be trial and error. Checked the freezer and the boy has hardly anything in it!)

Capital one payment = £26.31
    Overdraft interest and charges = £69
    HMRC = £10 (not too fussed about this as they arn't charging interest so they will be the last to go)
    Gym = £23.00 I think (work has a gym and to impress the bosses I think I took out a membership so maybe £63 for two gyms :O:O:O. email sent today to get the work gym cancelled as for the other one Ive said XXX to make it worth your while you need to go 3 times a week. If I dont do this then its gone in the new year!)
    P/T £100 (I know I know! But I have a lot of mobility issues from having extra bones and loads of surgery and "Beast" is working wonders)
    Zero savings, Nada, Nil, None.

Which means in the space of a month I should have £808 left for other bits in bobs inculding Christmas, presents, entertainment, Cant be bothered cooking lets order a take away moments) *This is the figure post LBM*

PLAN going forward: (Most likely Starting Dec)
    Spending Limit of £50 a week (I can keep tescos in business with the amount I spend when Im at work the joys of working in a call center you just sit and eat)
    £500 (including interest to C1 and OD) a month
    £50 to bank of mum for Rainy day fund (this will stop when I get to £500)
    £20 a month for Xmas (2016 will be the best prepared xmas ever!)

Anything left will be going towards my "LONDON fund" the BOM bought me tickets to see MUSE in April and Ive never ever ever been to London so I want to go all touristy. It would also be nice to save up for a holiday. Ive been with the boy for 7 years and the only "Holiday" we've had was to York so see a friend get married, Edinburgh (we live an hour away) and back home to see Mum. No exactly globe trotting is it?

Xmas is a bad subject in the flat. I was saying to the boy we should cut back adults for Christmas and focus just on kids (4 in total 1 nephew and 3 cousins *well 3 who I see*
    So I phoned mum and was like Im not getting any presents for folk she said okay and the boy went mental and was like well Im still getting presents for my mum and I was "like BOY! We are trying to be smart here. Just tell your folk no gifts" he said no. Mum hearing all this was like so your getting the boys presents gifts?? So thanks to the boy acting like a brat our list has went from 4 to about 25!

Should have an extra £15 today as I "sold" some stuff on Gumtree (it aint sold until I have the cash in my hands) last week a guy came round to buy the cross trainer, had a go on it, asked me to confirm the price and then walked out! Now Ive been doing some stalking on Gumtree and its the cheapest going! Weird.

Got my ShopandScan stuff through an I'm a dash confused. (helpme!) Is it only when I go to the shops in the booklet I scan? So if Im going to a "doubler" on a Monday morning from the cafe I don't need to scan that?
    Virgin Money £0/£1445
    TSB £0/£659.53
    BOM £0/£1480
    Tesco £8.36/£4647.26
  • Megano
    edited 23 November 2015 at 9:19PM
    Today was my first (of I suspect many) NSD. Spent the whole day tidying the house, watching trash TV (Im practically a Judge with the amount of Judge Judy and Judge Rinder Ive been watching) and playing uncharted 2.
    Got a text message asking to do a shift at W2, looks good for me being available at such sort notice and good for the bank balance as I don't need to travel anywhere as its a work from home role.

I MAY have done something sneaky. I phoned BT to cancel the Boy's BT sports and they were like
    -Miss XXX should this have been cancelled when you moved to sky?
    *.........erm....yes?...I mean yes!
    - We are SO sorry Miss XXX we'll get the amount refunded to you as you've been overcharged.
    *.............................okay?.................I mean okay!

Sold a piece of my tele-shopping addiction (total core thingymajiggy apparently gives you a 6 pack in 6 weeks but you need to use it and not have it sitting in a cupboard like I did :P:P:P) I ideally wanted £15 for it but when the buyer came she did'nt have any change from two £10s so I was like lets call it a tenner. She was happy because she got a bargain, I was happy being £10 up.

The boy came in from work with a massive tesco bag saying he's determined from now on we are making a packed lunch for work. I feel sorry for tescos with the amount of lay-offs they are going to make with me not shopping there at lunchtime but at least Mr Capital One will be happy.
    Virgin Money £0/£1445
    TSB £0/£659.53
    BOM £0/£1480
    Tesco £8.36/£4647.26
  • Hi! Welcome!

Just a question - you haven't made mention of a car or any related expenses to travel - just wondered if you missed them out?

I haven't had a true LBM, but just a similar kind of "now is the time to grow up and stop mucking about in my overdraft or credit card". One of the things I have found really helpful over the last month was signing up with YNAB (You Need a Budget) to get a real handle on my real expenses. They offer a 34 day free trial, and I can't recommend it enough!

Good luck on your journey!
    Debt Free by Xmas 2021 = £0/£6,500
    1p Challenge 2021 (TBC)
  • Megano
    Hey ShakeItOff.
    I can't drive so it's either walking or buses for me. Because of my 'lumpy bones' I get a free bus pass.
    Buses free but trains/subways at a concession fare.
    Virgin Money £0/£1445
    TSB £0/£659.53
    BOM £0/£1480
    Tesco £8.36/£4647.26
  • Good luck Megano. I have been there myself and it isn't easy but it is achievable and feels WONDERFUL when you succeed.
  • Hi Megano,
    Did you figure out the shop and scan? I do it, but I think there's different programmes you can be on. I'm not sure what you mean about a doubler...I scan my groceries- is this what your shop and scan is?

Well done on progress so far...keep it up!
    PAYDBX 2016 #55 100% paid! :j Officially bad debt free...don't count my mortgage.
    Now to start saving...it's a whole new world!!
  • Megano
    Willowpop wrote: »
    . I'm not sure what you mean about a doubler...I scan my groceries- is this what your shop and scan is?
    Well done on progress so far...keep it up!

A doubler is the greatest thing ever basically a potato scone and square sausage on a soft roll with tomato sauce. I think Ive figured it out, if the store is in my booklet I scan it if not its like it never happened. Tried to upload my first "scan" yesterday but a problem with the USB cable :mad:

Confession time.
    There was some pointless spending today £4.00 for a taxi to work and £2.05:eek: for a bottle of irn bru and a caramel at the work canteen. Going forward I think its going to be a walk to tescos and get a bottle of water and some bananas. Im sure my extra jelly around my belly will thank me in the long run.
    I cant believe the canteen is so expensive and to think I would spend at least £10 there a day :wall:

Where there is a confession there is also some praise to be had!
    - Had my first packed lunch. Okay I destroyed it in like 5 minutes and then went on the search for chocolate, but the way Im seeing it is small steps wins the race.
    - My W2 wage calculation was wrong instead of getting £180 Im actually getting £191 this month (lets hope my full time wages are sorted this month)
    - I also got £61 from topcashback (TCB) so I put that towards me "what on earth was I thinking? debt" which consists of £70 for a painted picture, [STRIKE]£50 for a hoover (which isnt that great. Wooden flooring and cats will never ever mix)[/STRIKE] and £250 to the bank of mum (the bank of mum has informed me she would like two installments)

Tomorrow I get my "extra" income which Ive worked out will be £470 to the rest of the what was I thinking debt will be gone and I'll have a little bit extra to play around with for Christmas the OH (aka the boy) and I have decided a joint budget of £400 for Christmas presents. For Xmas we normally go to the OH parents but it would be nice to help out maybe with a dessert or two.

No overtime available today at W1 but I did get a text asking me to do a shift at W2 this evening.

Im alittle worried Im taking this budgeting thing too far the FM (Flatmate)(Best FM EVER shes my sister from another mother) had a really crap day at work so decided to buy the OH and I dinner and I was like "FM! Why dont you use my phone to order it, I think I have a discount code." Just so I could go through TCB and get money back.
    Its the OH's mums birthday on Thursday and Ive been instructed to order flowers....just so happens interflora is available on TCB! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Virgin Money £0/£1445
    TSB £0/£659.53
    BOM £0/£1480
    Tesco £8.36/£4647.26
  • Hi Megano,

you need to fill this in, It will provide a much more thorough review of your spending.

http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php

good luck.
    £1000 Emergency fund No90 £1000/1000
    LBM 28/1/15 total debt - [STRIKE]£23,410[/STRIKE] 24/3/16 total debt - £7,298
    !
  • Candy0107
    Candy0107 Posts: 1,642 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Glad to see that you are making progress megano. Keep up the good work.

Candy x
    Debts at the start of my journey - about £23,000 lightbulb moment 01.03.2007 (1st payment to CCCS)..Debt Free Date 25.06.2013 Deposit savings £17,000/£30,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure