Micro Investing

Comments

• Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    justme111 wrote: »
    Dear habitual MSE contributors, here you got argumentative millennial, treat him as such, do not get wound up as you should know better:)
    Dear Anthorn, I think everybody understands perfectly what you or someone else may like about the app and its motivational and educational and fun purposes. They just point out that it makes no financial sense. Which you refuse to accept because you are itching to argue:).
    (goes away mumbling : " for some reason"... "cash poor millennials":D)

And yet another jumps on the pedantic bandwagon.

A "Millennial" is someone who reached adulthood in the year 2000. If you had bothered to access my profile you would have seen that I'm "retired". Actually 66 years old and drawing down my pension: btw that has nothing to do with crayons :)

The point about cost has been said over and over and over and harped on and on and on about. I don't see the necessity for repeating it when I've already dismissed it. But in fact cost is the one and only objection to Moneybox and considering the very low amount of capital involved it's largely irrelevant.

Cost is relative anyway: For example are we going to avoid a fund which will make us out first million just because it has charges which are triple that of other funds?
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You're conflating two different things, what you invest in and how you then choose to fund your investment in it.

The funds themselves and their internal charges are an irrelevance in the context of this thread, whether they make you your first million or not.

The point you're utterly impervious to and apparently determined to ignore, is that using Moneybox will never get you to that first million before the much cheaper and far superior retail investment platforms will.

Which then begs the question why bother using Moneybox, it's just a gimmick. Hold on, that sounds familiar.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • Anthorn
    edited 20 March 2017 at 4:25PM
    JohnRo wrote: »
    You're conflating two different things, what you invest in and how you then choose to fund your investment in it.

The funds themselves and their internal charges are an irrelevance in the context of this thread, whether they make you your first million or not.

The point you're utterly impervious to and apparently determined to ignore, is that using Moneybox will never get you to that first million before the much cheaper and far superior retail investment platforms will.

Which then begs the question why bother using Moneybox, it's just a gimmick. Hold on, that sounds familiar.

Just answer a question for me. What do you have to gain from trashing Moneybox?

Re. your post: I've already dismissed as irrelevant what you and others say when you harp on and on and on about cost. So why repeat it over and over and over. It's just a waste of time. Much better to get the app and use it and then your comments based on experience will be more valid.

But now you've expanded that into Moneybox not making me my first million wheras other methods might do that for me. Personally I'm happy with 6% p.a. You're obviously taking your lead from my hyperthetical example in a previous post ROFL.

But if you know of a fund that will make me a million from a minimum investment of £1 per week do tell.

btw you're very funny ROFL.
  • JohnRo
    For a 66 year old you sure do read like you're a heck of a lot younger, a heck of a lot.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • JohnRo
    I'll settle for the poetic justice in all this nonsense you're spouting.

I'm sure by now astute readers will have read enough to make their own minds up which is all that matters.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 20 March 2017 at 11:25PM
    JohnRo wrote: »
    For a 66 year old you sure do read like you're a heck of a lot younger, a heck of a lot.

In fairness he sounds like he is a 66 year old who has just discovered the acronym ROFL over twenty years later than everybody else who's closer to modern technology, assumes it's how everyone converses these days, and is itching to demonstrate that he is into all this newfangled technology stuff so will defend the new fintech innovations to the hilt.

He promotes that persona of being close to technology by quickly looking up and posting definitions of "pedant", "butthurt" and "millennial" and providing some links multiple times to show he has a web browser just like the kids of today.

I may be wrong though. No doubt he'll tell us. :D

Anthorn wrote: »
    You get yet another ROFL: ROFL. You ask a question regarding the FT article and then answer it yourself. Does that mean no-one else is qualified to answer the question? If you meant it as a rhetorical question then it should not have included a question mark.
    My apologies for including a question mark. I'm sure we have each committed greater sins.
    In one breath the FT article is seen as invalid but on the other hand valid because it includes a criticism of the cost disadvantage. Which is it? Valid or invalid?
    It is invalid as a "review" because nobody within it is giving their opinion on how the service has performed and the people telling you what it is does are the founders, who are obviously somewhat biased on whether or not the service is good.

However, if you contend that you didn't mean to say it was a review but merely an opinion piece, then we should disregard the biased opinions of the founders and only listen to the independent opinion within, who said it was overly expensive for investing small amounts of money, and you could/should consider cash instead.

Either way, there is nothing in the FT piece to support the claim that it's a good value product other than the opinions of its founders, both who provided soundbites to go with their press release. If the OP reads that they will not learn anything other than what is in Moneybox's own website and press releases and the cost criticism that several people already put on this forum (and the previous thread which covered the same ground).
    Lastly where is your authority to censor my posts by limiting what I may post?
    Oh I get that from God Almighty, he passes on his kind regards.
    Perhaps I just have to agree with you and everyone else and you would be fine with that. But the very simple fact is that I just don't agree! I use moneybox, I find it useful and I post my reasons for finding it useful.
    Good for you. I hope you don't mind other people posting the reasons that someone might not find it useful, to help a person avoid a mistake by signing up to a gimmicky service before first hearing from experienced investors who could suggest viable alternatives.

I don't care that I haven't used it. I haven't circumnavigated the globe in every direction but I am qualified to pass comment about flat earth vs globe and nice places to go on holiday, based on informed opinion. You are hell-bent on saying our opinions are invalid because we don't understand it. But how it works is easy to understand and the pricing and functionality information is public domain.

So, one can form an opinion, to aid a less experienced and less cash rich investor understand the opportunities available from rival products, given you can't make new contributions into this product and also into another S&S ISA in the same financial year.
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I bet he searched for some profile of chap with similar name on Facebook and in reality he is a first year student .
    One can not survive to 65 if one does not understand that if someone is "cashpoor"( cute term, eh) to the extent of not being able to place a standing order for £25 a month while having "decent income", mortgage and outgoings then using an app that invests £10 a month for one is like trying to carry water in a sieve and to put it mildly is neither priority nor solution , it is like washing the dishes while the house is burning down.
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • Anthorn
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    In fairness he sounds like he is a 66 year old

That's a pretty safe bet considering I just posted a link to my facebook profile.

I'm posting "ROFL" because that is actually what I'm doing. ROFL. Well, not actually rolling on the floor but you'll get the general idea idea I'm sure. Personally, I like to qualify my posts and I try to include the words "because" and "for example" and link to the proof whenever possible. That's what you're objecting to?

I've cut the rest of your post due to there being not even a single, solitary qualification in there. It doesn't deserve a reply because it's It's mainly just an off-topic personal attack which incidentally displays you low intelligence.

ROFL
  • Anthorn
    justme111 wrote: »
    I bet he searched for some profile of chap with similar name on Facebook and in reality he is a first year student .
    One can not survive to 65 if one does not understand that if someone is "cashpoor"( cute term, eh) to the extent of not being able to place a standing order for £25 a month while having "decent income", mortgage and outgoings then using an app that invests £10 a month for one is like trying to carry water in a sieve and to put it mildly is neither priority nor solution , it is like washing the dishes while the house is burning down.

Go check out my Facebook profile again, in particular the status. Then look up the meaning of "Pedant".
  • JohnRo
    I decided to look up the meaning of "prat"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure