PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Comments

• My favourite hospice shop closed today for a two week refurb :eek:

Luckily there are another four along the road so I should be ok :o. Best bargain of last week: some Lego :o which included this cat (not this actual one but one the same). I paid £4.95 for the bagful, have sold a few bits of it on ebay this weekend to offset the cost of it and earned enough to be able to keep our cat without panicking about losing the little chap.
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I dont have time for shopping at the mo, but my mil does. I mentioned dd has grown out of all her trousers, next thing I know, the CS she volunteers for had "paid" her in toddler leggings for sorting out all their kiddy clothes. So she got 6 pairs for the grand total of - nothing!
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • flutterbyuk25
    flutterbyuk25 Posts: 7,009 Forumite
    I bought my mum's Mother's Day present in a CS. I work for a charity and we often get stuff 'donated' to us but we don't sell items. So I was taking some of the bits to one of the local CS. In the window they had this small grey/brown pot that said 'marmalade' on it. My mum already has ones in similar style saying 'tea' 'sugar' and something else. So I hurridly took it to the till and it was just 29p!!!!! Bargain! My mum loved it

x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • I got two really nice baking tins today for 50 pence each. One of them is a fluted-edged flan thingy with a removable base which will be handy for cheesecakes and whatnot. And a black slubbed-cotton cushion-cover for my sister, also 50 pence. I'm sort of regretting not having bought that gorgeous Boden purple boiled-wool cardigan for £2.99
  • Xaniwoop
    Xaniwoop Posts: 260 Forumite
    This week I got two smart blouses from the sale rail in our local hospice shop for £1 each, one is Joules and one is Reiss! I also snapped up a Betty Jackson dress for £4.50.

Having always worn Primark/supermarket clothes I can't get over how posh my wardrobe has become since I discovered charity shopping for my own clothes (always gone in for children's clothes and toys). Even DH is impressed with my finds - he's given me a list of his requirements so I can look for him too.

I also got a load of dainty vintage china from Oxfam, peach scalloped edge serving dishes, a floral tureen and napkin rings painted with bird. gorgeous!
  • this cat (not this actual one but one the same).

Wow =- great find!...Love it - soooo cute - never realised how much these lil bits of plastic are worth! :eek:

BitterAndTwisted - I got a Lakeland baking tin a few weeks ago for 75p - most excellent, especially when they are still on sale in Lakeland for £18 :D

Xaniwoop - Great designer finds! ;)

Loving reading all these fab posts! :T

:heartpuls Gains & £'s saved..Far too many to mention! Needless to say I LOVE MSE! :heartpuls

'Smile in the face of adversity..Whilst thinking where you can bury the bodies'

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle :)
  • dawn1980
    dawn1980 Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The swap shop is an initiative run by my local sustainability (eco friendly) group. You take along things you don't want and take whatever you do want. For free. Of course you can just go without taking anything with you. They weigh the stuff on your way out. Anything leftover goes to local charity shops. No clothes but lots of toys, books, kitchen bits, tools and odds.
  • mummybearx
    mummybearx Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    You all must have good CS's next to you! All my local ones are rubbish! Some here are really expensive for clothes etc

I'm trying to keep away from the shops, but might sneak in a few CS's this weekend, see if I can grab a bargain or two :-)
    Can't think of anything smart to put here...
  • CompBunny
    CompBunny Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    My local charity shops seem very expensive compared with your finds! They are also full of bobbly primark and tesco clothes, which is strange as most people in my area are much richer than we are..I must be looking in the wrong rails or something!

Edit: you beat me to it zepsgal ;)
    GC2012: Nov £130.52/£125
    GC2011:Sept:£215
    Oct:£123.98Nov:£120Dec:£138Feb:£94.72

Quit smoking 10am 17/02/11 - £4315 saved as of Nov'12

Engaged to my best friend 08/2012:heart2:

• Nicepeach
    Nicepeach Posts: 138 Forumite
    Hi Zepsgal & Compbunny,

I find the big national ones are not nearly as good as local ones. As posted previously I understand that they have structures & pricing policies to adhere to but I was recently in one of ours & they were asking £24.99 for a Debenham*s coat which was quite bobbly. I was quite shocked. I have stopped going into the local PDSA branch as they were really expensive too & seem to be branching out into more new "gift" type things such as wooden love hearts with logos & key hooks etc. which are also extremely expensive, more expensive than in the local branch of M&S right opposite in fact!

Maybe try looking up some of your local charities & see if they have shops?

I've totally changed my shopping habits now & always check CS first, whether it's for a frock or cake forks (got some a while ago). If I can't find what I want in CS I do go to "real" shops, honest!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure