Cash ISAs: The Best Currently Available List

Options

Comments

• Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,355 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is it possible to simply transfer an existing ISA into them or do I need to open one for this year with them before I can transfer an existing one in ? (not an option for me has I am already fully subscribed for this year). I've read their T + Cs but I can't find an answer.
    You can transfer in - that's clear enough:
    Transfers of previous ISA subscriptions from other institutions are accepted
    If you specially wanted to transfer this year's cash ISA (already subscribed) - an 'in-year' transfer - this ought to be possible - if only because current year should not be any more restrictive than previous years.

But the wording they use:
    if this is your only Cash ISA for the current tax year 2010/2011
    does seem to dis-qualify an in-year transfer of this kind because this new account is not then "your only" 2010/2011 ISA, is it?

(But that wasn't what you actually said you wanted to do was it?)

To sum up: You don't need to 'pre-open' and are not required to use your 2010/2011 ISA allowance to fund this account. You may 'open-by-transfer' of previous years subscriptions from any single or any combination of ISA providers - only subject to the issue remaining open in the meantime.

I would say you just need to check with them if any application for transfer made whilst the issue is open will always be honoured- even where the funds have yet to arrive on the date they close the issue.
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • steady__eddie
    Options
    Thanks Milarky, I want to keep this years where it is (4.25% fixed) but one from a few years back is languishing at 1.5% variable and could do with a new home. Mobile is still on holiday so I'll make a contribution to B.T.s profits tomorrow.
  • mothership_2
    Options
    I think I'm missing something. I may be emigrating to New Zealand in late 2012 (less than 2 years from now) and have some ISA money to transfer. Clearly the 4 year term ISAs have the highest interest rates and can be closed early with a penalty.

If I were to transfer into a 4 year fix somewhere that permits closure with a 180 day interest penalty, would I still receive the 4 year interest rate less the 180 day penalty? Or, would the interest added be equivalent only to their lower 1 or 2 year rate and still with the 180 day interest penalty added instead?

Help appreciated, ta
  • Nessie23
    Nessie23 Posts: 245 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 December 2010 at 11:47PM
    Options
    mothership wrote: »
    If I were to transfer into a 4 year fix somewhere that permits closure with a 180 day interest penalty, would I still receive the 4 year interest rate less the 180 day penalty? Or, would the interest added be equivalent only to their lower 1 or 2 year rate and still with the 180 day interest penalty added instead?

Help appreciated, ta

Hi mothership, firstly you will have to check the small print because conditions will vary depending on account type and provider.

However, in general you should receive the quoted interest for full term you have signed for (in this case 4 years) minus the penalty in this case 180 day interest. (Provided the account conditions allow early closure/withdrawal).

For example if you have signed up to a 4 year ISA giving 4% and you withdraw the money after 2 years you should receive the following:
    1st year @ 4%
    2nd year @ 2.03% =[(365-180)/365]*4

On the example above you would receive an average rate of just over 3% for the two years.

Hope the above is of use, any questions please ask ;)

Nessie
  • frivolous_fay
    frivolous_fay Posts: 13,302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 10 December 2010 at 2:18PM
    Options
    Mr_K wrote: »
    the potential loss of interest and hassle of changing accounts each year.

It's the curse of the interest-rate aware....
    I prefer checking things over once or twice a year to suddenly noticing that my annual interest has dropped from a few hundred to about £20 ;) (Didn't happen to me... a friend of a friend)

I'm quite chuffed that the accounts we opened this year still look pretty good considering we're only tied in for a year AND we were able to transfer several years' subscriptions in. Without having at least a quick shop around we'd never have stumbled across that deal.
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,355 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    4.50% ISA now withdrawn
    CHRISTMAS LOYALTY BOND and CHRISTMAS LOYALTY ISA both paying 4.50% withdrawn w.e.f. close of business 15.12.10.
    https://www.emoneyfacts.co.uk/news/news-search.aspx?newsarticleid=201158
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • pKaTz
    pKaTz Posts: 253 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    With the 4 yr fixed ISAs, is the rate qoted the same for each year?
    ie, halifax is 4.25 for 4 years,
    but on their site it says
    Term Interest rates (AER) effective from 0.00am on 10th September 2010
    1 year £500+ 2.00%
    2 years £500+ 2.85%
    3 years £500+ 3.35%
    4 years £500+ 4.25%

So does that mean that yr 1 is at 2%, yr 2 at 2.85% etc.
  • boobbby
    boobbby Posts: 769 Forumite
    Options
    pKaTz wrote: »
    With the 4 yr fixed ISAs, is the rate qoted the same for each year?
    ie, halifax is 4.25 for 4 years,
    but on their site it says
    Term Interest rates (AER) effective from 0.00am on 10th September 2010
    1 year £500+ 2.00%
    2 years £500+ 2.85%
    3 years £500+ 3.35%
    4 years £500+ 4.25%

So does that mean that yr 1 is at 2%, yr 2 at 2.85% etc.
    If you take out a two year fixed ISA you get 2.85 % calculated daily for 2 years
    If you take out a 4 year fixed ISA you will get 4.25% calculated daily for 4 years
    If you close early then you lose 6 months interest.
    Be careful as you cannot add to the ISA once it has commenced.
  • Kazza242
    Kazza242 Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Merry Christmas to all MSE's! Thanks for contributing to the thread.

:xmassign:
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
  • steady__eddie
    Options
    Dunfermline 4 yr fixed rate 4.15% Issue 23 has now closed to be replaced by Issue 25 offering 4%, everything else looks the same to me through this drunken haze. :beer:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback