Delivery rights: Play.com

articlealert2_banner.gif

Hi all, this discussion thread's part of the Delivery Rights guide, specifically for if you've complained to Play.com about delivery problems using the techniques in the guide.

Please tell us how you got on - we want to know if you were awarded any compensation from Play.com, and if so, how much? Just let us know the amount and reason below; to add more general feedback on the guide, pop over to the main Delivery Rights discussion thread.

Thanks
for your help,

MSE Rose

Comments

• I have recently purchased two items from play.com and had selected express delivery, however they failed to deliver the items next day and it eventually took 3 working days. So I contacted Play and used the tactics in this tutorial. Here are the emails and replies, I'll remove the sensitive information obviously.

Please note I don't have the first email as it was filled in over Play.com and I didn't save it, but I have the rest. The first was basically me stating I hadn't received the package and that I was looking for a refund the delivery costs, the sum of £4.99..

First Reply
    Dear [Removed],

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately your order has started to process and we are unable to cancel your ordered for Skullcandy 2010 Earbuds / Headphones INK'D SC-Marvel Comic Inside Print Wallet. If you will no longer require your order by the time you are able to collect it then please follow the instructions below on how to return your item in and to help us process your return as quickly as possible.

Your returns authorisation is [Removed]

Please return the unopened item to us at the address below:

[Removed Address]

Print out a copy of this Returns Authorisation e-mail and include it alongside the original invoice.If you do not have access to a printer please include a covering note stating your personal Returns Authorisation Number located at the top of this e-mail.

We request that you return the item to us in secure packaging. Please keep your postage receipt as proof of returning your item. A standard postage refund will be issued however should it be more please contact us with a postage receipt.

When returning a product with several components such as electronic items, it is necessary to ensure that all of the components/accessories are returned as any incomplete returns will not be processed.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you and thank you for your patience and valued custom.

Kind Regards,

Customer Support Team
    Play.com

Second Emails
    Play.com

I request that you write me a personal email as oppose to an automated message and that it be from the highest authority available.

Again I would like to emphasise the fact that my orders is now 2 days late and I have yet to receive any justification for this situation. I have purchased multiple items and selected Express Delivery.

Your delivery policy states that if an order is purchased before the "cut off time" and my debit is charged successfully, then the item will arrive next working day. My orders now haven't after two working days!

By purchasing these two products from play.com, I have entered a contract with you, the seller. By failing to deliver my items in the time you specified, you have broken this contract. I am asking only that you refund me for the delivery costs of these products, which is £4.99. I wish not to speak of "Consequential loss" on my behalf, and wish this matter to be brought to an end immediately after receiving a refund for the delivery cost.

If you fail to acknowledge my email personally and do not refund me for my loss of time (the sum of £4.99 for Express Delivery), I will take this matter to my solicitor for legal advice.

I hope we can resolve this matter swiftly.

[removed] - My name

Second Reply

Dear [Removed],

Thank you for your email.

We are sorry to hear that you have not yet received your orders for Skullcandy 2010 Earbuds / Headphones INK'D SC and Marvel Comic Inside Print Wallet.

We have refunded the delivery cost of the items and will be visible on your account within 3-5 banking days.

Please contact us again if you do not receive your order until tomorrow (17/12/11) so that we can assist you in processing a claim form. You may notify us through the website by following this link:

[Nubs can't post links]

Alternatively please contact our Customer Service Team on 0845 800 1020 (UK only) or +44 (0)1534 877 595 (outside UK). Our opening hours are 9am - 8pm Monday to Friday and 9am - 5pm Saturday and Sunday.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you and thank you for your patience and valued custom.

Kind Regards,

Customer Support Team
    Play.com

Thanks for the guide, :money:

Neocorps
  • Scarpacci
    Scarpacci Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    I also tried their Express Delivery service on a order and they didn't deliver by the due date. One of the items came one day late and the other arrived two days later. I e-mailed after the first one arrived and before the second one did, saying neither item was actually delivered on the promised date and asked whether they would refund the delivery service. When they replied they did indeed just refund the express charge, so the customer service wasn't bad at all.
    This is everybody's fault but mine.
  • I have also paid for express delivery and 2 days later I'm still waiting! Although they have offered to refund the delivery charge I still don't think this is enough. All they're saying is that delivery will be "sometime this week" How anyone can think that is acceptable I'll never know!:mad:
  • kazzah60
    kazzah60 Posts: 752 Forumite
    I too paid for express delivery - got an e mail confirming delivery of item on 9th December
    9th december came- got another e mail confirming item had been dispatched on 9th December
    item finally arrived 13th december
    after 4 phone calls they agreed to refund the cost of the express delivery - I am still waiting to receive the refund!
  • Mark_Hewitt
    Mark_Hewitt Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    One of the biggest scams IMO where you pay for "Next day delivery" but they take 2 days to send it out! If you choose next day I expect it to be with me the next day.
  • AFAIK play.com are in Jersey, and owned by a Japanese company.
    Therefore they wouldn't be covered under English Laws. However, that doesn't absolve the delivery issues above IMHO.
  • Ordered Christmas present 18th December (express delivery), advised delivery date 20th inst. We are now at the 22nd and SEVERAL E-MAILS LATER (gave up phoning) and still no correspondence or parcel. The most annoying thing is that I ordered goods from Tesco and Amazon the same date and they have arrived (no express delivery required).
    In my experience companies with a poor record of customer care are very badly managed and need a new injection of people that care enough to make the company work.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    neocorps wrote: »
    By purchasing these two products from play.com, I have entered a contract with you, the seller. By failing to deliver my items in the time you specified, you have broken this contract. I am asking only that you refund me for the delivery costs of these products, which is £4.99. I wish not to speak of "Consequential loss" on my behalf, and wish this matter to be brought to an end immediately after receiving a refund for the delivery cost.

If you fail to acknowledge my email personally and do not refund me for my loss of time (the sum of £4.99 for Express Delivery), I will take this matter to my solicitor for legal advice.

If your going to claim compensation atleast make it realistic, threatening to get solicitors involved over your request for the £4.99 refunded is clearly an empty threat.

What consequential losses have your incurred? As I assume you did not have to take additional days of work but chose to as to receive goods without arranging a redelivery on a day you have off?
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    B0ssman wrote: »
    I have also paid for express delivery and 2 days later I'm still waiting! Although they have offered to refund the delivery charge I still don't think this is enough. All they're saying is that delivery will be "sometime this week" How anyone can think that is acceptable I'll never know!:mad:

Well what would you accept? I think it is completely acceptable to refund the delivery charge in these cirumstances! You seem to be forgetting that Christmas is in days and the couriers/postal system will be booming!!!
    One of the biggest scams IMO where you pay for "Next day delivery" but they take 2 days to send it out! If you choose next day I expect it to be with me the next day.

If you order goods and request them sent next working day then you expect them to arrive the day after they was dispatched -- you would need to look into the companies policies to see what their lead time is.

Most companies clearly state cut-off times & lead times anyway and most orders I imagine will be fulfilled successfully.
  • Nine_Lives
    Nine_Lives Posts: 3,031 Forumite
    I've had a so-so experience of play.com

I had 1 faulty item which they weren't interested in & told me my issue was with Logitech & not them. This may be true or not i don't know. Logitech thankfully sorted it & were probably the most helpful company i've ever dealt with, going not just the extra mile, but the extra 10 mile!!

As for their delivery service, if i want something in a hurry i NEVER buy from Play.com, they're so slow!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure