Coin Counter Machines

Apologies if this is in the wrong place so please move.

I have lots of loose change in a celebrations tin, machines I have seen in supermarkets charge around 20p per £1, does anyone know of any shops/banks/supermarkets that dont charge or charge a lot less?

Thanks in advanced.

Comments

• Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Coinstar charge 7.9p for every £1 which are available in most supermarkets. Not sure where you got the 20p from.

If you are a HSBC customer a number of their branches have coin counting machines. Although not a lot.

Other than that, coin bags are the answer.
  • TomCon_2
    TomCon_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    If you could bag them up yourself and take them to the post office they can change them for you. I wouldn't do it all at once though as they might not like that.
  • antispam246
    antispam246 Posts: 941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Barclays have them to, I'm assuming they're free, as it was suggested I use one next time when i turned up at a counter with several bags of coins. They still processed them at the counter however.
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Although when faced with a lot of coin it looks like it'll be a mammoth task to sort it all out, if you do it one rainy evening (maybe get a couple of friends to help), you can get through a massive amount of coin in a very short time. I managed to do £500 with a couple of people helping me in about an hour recently. In terms of celebrations tins, I'd say this was about 2-3 tins' worth.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,193 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    My local Morison's has a self service checkout, scan your own items

On these checkouts there is a facility to pay cash as well as plastic

You can just bung all the change into the funnel & it sorts & counts for you, then uses it to pay for your shopping, without any fee, so £10 is still £10

I have done this with my loose change so know it works
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Farway wrote: »
    My local Morison's has a self service checkout, scan your own items

On these checkouts there is a facility to pay cash as well as plastic

You can just bung all the change into the funnel & it sorts & counts for you, then uses it to pay for your shopping, without any fee, so £10 is still £10

I have done this with my loose change so know it works

That is an amazing idea!
  • jimbobboi
    jimbobboi Posts: 15 Forumite
    HSBC have counters, they are free and it gets deposited into your bank account. If you don't have an HSBC account then do what I did and find a friend, they let me put the money in their account and then transferred it to my account.
  • withnell
    withnell Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    Can First Direct customers use the HSBC coin counting machines?
    456789 Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    withnell wrote: »
    Can First Direct customers use the HSBC coin counting machines?
    according to this yes - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=3199599&highlight=first+direct+coinstar#post3199599
  • Cook_County
    Cook_County Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I would suggest self-service machines at Morrisons, Tesco's etc...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure