PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Ripped coat

Options
I tore my winter coat today and since it's winter, the shops aren't selling any winter clothes:mad: so I can't buy a new one.
Anyway I'm not sure if I can fix it since it has polyester padding inside and it's just the top layer of fabric that ripped so I can't see a way to use iron-on patches or wonderweb etc (not that I own an iron!)
Does anyone have any tips? Would fabric glue be an option? Or should I just wear 12 jumpers til the summer?

Comments

• onetomany
    onetomany Posts: 2,170 Forumite
    Options
    hi hun dont now about sewing bit but mattalans got some lovely coats in at the moment got a ski coat for my sun for £7
  • *moggins*
    *moggins* Posts: 165 Forumite
    Options
    If this happens to me with a coat with a lining, I usually unpick the lining at a point where it's easy to access the tear, repair the tear from the inside and then restitch the lining sewing from the outside but using very very small stiches.
  • aChicken
    aChicken Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    *moggins* wrote: »
    If this happens to me with a coat with a lining, I usually unpick the lining at a point where it's easy to access the tear, repair the tear from the inside and then restitch the lining sewing from the outside but using very very small stiches.

Sounds a bit scary, I'm not great at this sort of thing but I might just have a go at that. Thank you.
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    i would agree it may take a while but it is cheaper than buying new coat or freezing to death,im terrible for wonderweb its amazing stuff
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    a lot of dry cleaners do small repairs or alterations to clothing. It might be cheaper than buying a new coat if you really think the sewing is beyond you. But there again it probably won't be cheaper than a matalan coat!
    weaving through the chaos...
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wonder whether you could slip some wonderweb inside the hole where the tear is, then iron it on the outside?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure