How to best word a letter chasing payment of invoices

Hi

Been working for my Dad since April, on a local magazine which operates as part of a franchise. The magazine is free and we cover printing costs via selling advertising.

I mainly do the admin, including the invoices. So far most people have paid (eventually), some after a prompt by a second invoice, or sending an email if we have it on file.

However we still have some outstanding from April and May and I need to write some kind of letter to chase payment. I am unsure how to word this without coming across too harsh, as because it is a new business we don't want to deter them from advertising again (although some would argue, if they aren't going to pay on time, don't let them readvertise)

I am also aware we can add late payment charges etc but not sure whether to mention that or not.

Would something like this be OK?

I must add, this is the first time I have had this type of role.

James,

Despite reminders your previous 2 invoices remain unpaid for your May and June adverts in xxx.

I enclose another copy of your invoice with our payment details. If payment is not received within 30 days, we reserve the right to add late payment charges to your account.

We would appreciate your cooperation in this matter.

???

Thanks for any help

Sarah

Comments

• Hi Sarah,

I work in accounts payable and receive these letters on a daily basis. The best way in my opinion is to telephone every other day or so and speak to the same person each time. If to no avail then contact their manager (i.e. the accounts manager). It's more effective than a letter because something has to be said back and they'll want to get you off their back. It also means you have personal contact which can help develop the business relationship.

For long overdue debts like this however you need to send formal letters out as well. I would say your letter is fine, I would say address the individual as Mr/Mrs etc.., also mention something about their account is temporarily suspended (as well as late payment charges). Add a contact telephone number in case they want to query something with you. And also add at the bottom "if payment has been made please accept our apologies and disregard this reminder."

For a stronger letter you can put "payment must be made within 7 days of the date of this letter or the matter will be passed to our solicitors". Keep a record/log of all correspondence in case it does end up in court.
    Hope that helps,
    Tim:beer:
  • edda
    edda Posts: 1,057 Forumite
    First Post
    2 points that might help:

Some companies pay on statement - not on invoice. If you invoice monthly, send a copy of the statement at the same time showing all outstanding invoices. Show all info - incl. value due now and date last payment received (i.e. make it easy for them to pay you).

Send copy invoices and statements via fax or email (only if you know they can accept attachments) - saves postage and gets there quicker.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,013 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    And also add at the bottom "if payment has been made please accept our apologies and disregard this reminder."
    I might change that to something like "If you believe payment has been made please contact us to discuss the matter."

I do sometimes get 'chasers' at work, and sometimes it's because we have somehow failed to pay promptly, but more often I can track when the payment was made. When we first started using BACS to make most of our payments we had problems because other people didn't always track our payment, so now we always send an email.

Others might suggest making my wording stronger, but if I got the first wording I'd want to know why a payment made some time ago wasn't showing on 'your' system, so I'd be phoning you anyway. But you don't want people to sit on their hands saying to themselves "I'm sure I paid that, I'll just ignore it."
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • sazziecee
    sazziecee Posts: 359 Forumite
    Thanks for the responses

The example I gave used a first name, simply because the guy concerned is my neighbour (who I approached to advertise after he did a job for me,and now he won't pay!)

Otherwise yes I would use the more formal mr/mrs approach.
  • sazziecee
    edda wrote: »

Some companies pay on statement - not on invoice. If you invoice monthly, send a copy of the statement at the same time showing all outstanding invoices. Show all info - incl. value due now and date last payment received (i.e. make it easy for them to pay you).

Send copy invoices and statements via fax or email (only if you know they can accept attachments) - saves postage and gets there quicker.

I am not sure what you mean by this... eek!
  • edda
    edda Posts: 1,057 Forumite
    First Post
    sazziecee wrote: »
    I am not sure what you mean by this... eek!
    Sorry Sarah - didn't mean to make it sound worse than it is.

It's just that I know some companies sit on invoices and don't pay them until someone chases. Not very nice I know, so once you know which of your customers do this, you can speed up the payment process.

In my experience, some will 'pay on statement' as a policy - so an early statement helps them move quicker. Others just use this as an excuse when you ring up - if you haven't sent a statement, they will ask for one hoping to delay payment a little longer.

Some will react quicker to a phone call - they pay suppliers who ring before those who don't chase. So make sure you're one of those who does chase.

Do I sound cynical? Yes - but I've seen all kinds of excuses. I'm afraid you just have to persist. the good part is if you get into a regular routine of ringing the same named person who can sort your payment out quicker, they get used to hearing from you and it becomes a friendly phone call once a month!
  • ukbill69
    ukbill69 Posts: 2,789 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I give 30 days for compaines to pay. If they dont pay within 30 days, I send them another invoice with overdue and say I charge 12% APR interest on any outstanding amounts. It soon gets them to pay. Also call them up every 2 days you havent got payment. If they are bad payers, get them to pay by card upfront, if they dont like it, then its a customer you dont need.
    Kind Regards
    Bill
  • lesley1960
    lesley1960 Posts: 976 Forumite
    I find most will ignore letters , and quite often phone calls .

Turning up on doorsteps can work wonders , my husband has been known to do that and sit there until someone signs a cheque lol.

If you do send letters threatening further action you must stick to and you can file a county court summons online ( even then a % still wont pay ! )

As to adding charges i think you have to include this in the terms and conditions you should get them to sign prior to doing the job .
  • sazziecee
    Thanks again.

My bosses (inc my dad) do the actual finalising of orders for adverts, only one I approached and then they took over, in agreeing the deal etc, so they will have dealt with the terms and conditions side. In future though I will make sure they are added to the original order forms (telling my dad what to do!, haha)

The first set of invoices went out without any due date on them, but then when people werent paying we added the "payment is due within 30 days of invoice date) onto the payment details box on the invoice, payment has been quicker since but still people are delaying.

I am going to have to start phoning and chasing I guess. I am not brilliant on the phone but going to have to make myself as if nobody pays then the magazine makes a loss and they may have to get rid of me....

One other thing... One customer messed us about loads, wanted adverts but would never tell us what he wanted exactly and we were chasing him right up to deadline every issue. Words have since been exchanged between the editor and customer and they won't be readvertising, but still owe us 3 months of adverts. It is a branch of Yates wine lodge so I have written a letter to head office (as personal visits, phonecalls, letters all end with us being fobbed off or ignored) but I can't find out the name of the MD or similar to send it to, I want to make sure it gets to the right person to increase the chances someone takes notice of it!

This is all very different for me, I have always worked in Retail and had a brief spell as a police community support officer so it's just getting used to the way things work I guess :)
  • edda wrote: »

I agree. I only pay on statement. Always send statements out to customers at the end of month, it really helps them to get organised.

Haven't read all the replies, but here's what I do.

Send invoice.
    Send end of month Statement.
    On due date - send pleasant reminder.
    Depending on your relationship with the customer determines how hard you get with them really. Ringing them is the best way really as reminders tend to be ignored.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure