BARCLAYCARD PPI - Questionnaire

Hi everyone

I have sent my first letter to Barclaycard and they have responded saying that they are looking into my complaint and would like me to complete and return their questionnaire, to be honest I can't remember how PPI got added onto my account as I was a bit green at the time and just went along with the recommendations from their salesperson. One of their questions is why I am putting in a claim now if I have been aware of the PPI for some time, yes I was aware of it but I wasn't aware that it had been missold in so many cases. Any advice please would be more than welcome.

Comments

• marshallka
    marshallka Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    Addison wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I have sent my first letter to Barclaycard and they have responded saying that they are looking into my complaint and would like me to complete and return their questionnaire, to be honest I can't remember how PPI got added onto my account as I was a bit green at the time and just went along with the recommendations from their salesperson. One of their questions is why I am putting in a claim now if I have been aware of the PPI for some time, yes I was aware of it but I wasn't aware that it had been missold in so many cases. Any advice please would be more than welcome.
    If you feel it was missold to you then you just put what your own reasons are for this. If you wrote to them already then I would just use whatever reasons you used in the letter again as that is how you felt it was missold. Why did they say "you have been aware of PPI for sometime"? Did you state that or have they just assumed it?
  • marshallka wrote: »
    If you feel it was missold to you then you just put what your own reasons are for this. If you wrote to them already then I would just use whatever reasons you used in the letter again as that is how you felt it was missold. Why did they say "you have been aware of PPI for sometime"? Did you state that or have they just assumed it?

Thanks for replying so quickly Marshalka, I cancelled the policy about a year ago as my OH had been made redundant and we were trying to save money, they say on their questionnaire "if the policy was cancelled some time ago why have you only recentle brought this to our attention". Should I say that I have only recently become aware that misselling was so rife amongst the card companies?
  • marshallka
    marshallka Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    Addison wrote: »
    Thanks for replying so quickly Marshalka, I cancelled the policy about a year ago as my OH had been made redundant and we were trying to save money, they say on their questionnaire "if the policy was cancelled some time ago why have you only recentle brought this to our attention". Should I say that I have only recently become aware that misselling was so rife amongst the card companies?
    Really cannot say what to say exactly but if you look through the guide here it may be of some use. Can I ask why you did not claim on the policy when OH was made redundant? Or did you try to claim on it?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance
  • Hi Addison, we had a joint barclaycard account with ppi which we had had for years and firstly not realised we were paying ppi, and then when we did, did not know it was optional until we read Martin's Money tips. I sent the template off for misselling, and then 2 days later my husband got made redundant. So I then wondered if we could claim, but realised the policy was useless in that it only paid the minimum balance off, but we still had to pay the premium which was about the same as the minimum balance!! So basically, nothing was going to clear off the balance! Thankfully he went back to work very quickly, and we carried on with our claim. We maintained that we didn't know it was an option, and that we couldn't remember even applying for it. Barclaycard could not find our documentation, but would not admit misselling, even when we took it to the ombudsman. We then got an offer out of the blue as compensation which they paid into our account without giving us a breakdown. Beware, they will try to fob you off with a small payout. After repeatedly asking for a breakdown to show refunded premiums and 8% interest per year they coughed up with "an apology that they had calculated it incorrectly" and upped their payout from £430 to £2000. They also paid back to 1995 which they had previously stressed they could only go back 6 years! So keep on to them, they will try to get out of it, but the ombudsman is great. Wishing you success.
  • maxdp
    maxdp Posts: 3,873 Forumite
    Hi Addison, we had a joint barclaycard account with ppi which we had had for years and firstly not realised we were paying ppi, and then when we did, did not know it was optional until we read Martin's Money tips. I sent the template off for misselling, and then 2 days later my husband got made redundant. So I then wondered if we could claim, but realised the policy was useless in that it only paid the minimum balance off, but we still had to pay the premium which was about the same as the minimum balance!! So basically, nothing was going to clear off the balance! Thankfully he went back to work very quickly, and we carried on with our claim. We maintained that we didn't know it was an option, and that we couldn't remember even applying for it. Barclaycard could not find our documentation, but would not admit misselling, even when we took it to the ombudsman. We then got an offer out of the blue as compensation which they paid into our account without giving us a breakdown. Beware, they will try to fob you off with a small payout. After repeatedly asking for a breakdown to show refunded premiums and 8% interest per year they coughed up with "an apology that they had calculated it incorrectly" and upped their payout from £430 to £2000. They also paid back to 1995 which they had previously stressed they could only go back 6 years! So keep on to them, they will try to get out of it, but the ombudsman is great. Wishing you success.

Hi Chopsy

Had successive barclaycard loans and successfully had PPI reclaim upheld through FOS. Baarclaycard did the same by just paying money ito an account with no explanation of how it is worked out. Still waiting for the breakdown. Although FOS are involved so this should be shown soon. Also had PPI on a Barclaycard paid back to 1991.
    :mad:
  • I recently had success with a barclayloan and waiting for my barclaycard i sent the questionaire off about 2 weeks ago waiting to see what they say.... however the account i had success on when i sent the questionaire i repeated everything i had said in the original letter and said please refer to the letter sent on what ever date you may have sent it.

Stick to what you have originally said was the reason why you felt you were mis sold...

The part about why are you only just bringing it to attention now or complaining now i basically said that only till recently was it made aware to customers the grounds for mis selling and i was only made aware through legal facilities etc.

Stick to your guns and you will get there... Good Luck.
  • Addison_2
    Addison_2 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Thanks everyone for your advice and support I have sent the questionnaire back to them so now it's just a waiting game for them to reply, I will keep posting their responses.
  • hope its been of help good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport