Boots Sale

Comments

• Desperado99
    Desperado99 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Had a shufty in branch today (not the one I'll be heading to, but just while I was passing ;) ), seemed to be mainly S&G (which no-one I know really likes) and some ridiculously priced make-up brush sets (£80 at full price) that might be worth it at 90% off lol.

Just a reminder to make sure you upload any advantage card deals to your card before the day (my offers section on the website).
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Had a shufty in branch today (not the one I'll be heading to, but just while I was passing ;) ), seemed to be mainly S&G (which no-one I know really likes) and some ridiculously priced make-up brush sets (£80 at full price) that might be worth it at 90% off lol.
    The make up brushes are brand Real Technique and 1 can cost as much as £20 (I have a teenage make-up freak), though Superdrug often do a buy 1 get 1 half price offer on them. That's the only thing I would consider getting on 70% off day to stash away. Last night I saw for the first time another set, same brand but 'gold metallic' colours which full price was £100. Both sets are still far too expensive to buy at 50%.

I booked my AL for this year and didn't include my 'guess' date for Boots. I doubt I have the hols and to take it unpaid just to grab bargains seems counter productive.

Is it me or is this thread quieter than usual?
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Spendless wrote: »
    The make up brushes are brand Real Technique and 1 can cost as much as £20 (I have a teenage make-up freak), though Superdrug often do a buy 1 get 1 half price offer on them. That's the only thing I would consider getting on 70% off day to stash away. Last night I saw for the first time another set, same brand but 'gold metallic' colours which full price was £100. Both sets are still far too expensive to buy at 50%.

I booked my AL for this year and didn't include my 'guess' date for Boots. I doubt I have the hols and to take it unpaid just to grab bargains seems counter productive.

It is quieter than usual - not sure if people are a bit disillusioned with some of the gifts / quality or after being caught out last year (people that had booked leave for a Wed and wasted a day, then couldn't rearrange for the Friday) have just gone in and decided to buy any items they want at 50%. Or it could be that people don't want to miss out and have been queuing for days outside Boots and their phones are all flat :rotfl:
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Blueyez
    Blueyez Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    Just been nosing around for this thread :) Last years move from a Wednesday had thrown a little as to when it would be. I popped into the smaller store in town yesterday and there was so much Soap & glory & Zoella stuff left! Lots of other calendars too.
    2018 wins-12wins
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    It is quieter than usual - not sure if people are a bit disillusioned with some of the gifts / quality or after being caught out last year (people that had booked leave for a Wed and wasted a day, then couldn't rearrange for the Friday) have just gone in and decided to buy any items they want at 50%.
    I'd guessed at the Wednesday last year, but by pure chance booked the Wed/Thurs/Fri off. Both my parents had been hospitalised over the previous few weeks and I needed some time at home to help them out. This year, I've already had some AL already, took Thurs/Fri last week to spend time with kids in their school hols and need another Jan date due to DD taking an external exam, what's left of the Boots stuff just doesn't seem worth another day off. :(
  • Africat
    Africat Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

Yep, defo seems quieter than usual...

Maybe people are tired of the same stuff packaged differently each year or maybe people are just wising up to the fact that there are better bargains elsewhere?
    Wilko reductions went down to 75% Off today and whilst their range may not be to the same standard as Boots you can get much better bargains on Nivea gift packs and the like, great to just break down and use throughout the year.

The Friday actually suits me better than the Wednesday; I wouldn't waste a days holiday on a Wednesday but don't mind so much with Friday if I have the annual leave to spare as it comes with the added bonus of a long weekend.
  • sarahj1986
    sarahj1986 Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Two weeks into the boots sale and we are only on page 3. In previous years it would’ve into 100+ by now, had the bubble burst for the Boots gifts?

I went into the Stratford Upon Avon town centre today and it looked almost exactly the same as it did before Christmas! It is only a small store but I was amazed at just how much was left. I’d say there’s probably 80% still left there.
    :money::rotfl::T
  • sampan26
    sampan26 Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    It IS really quiet!

Africat - so true about the Nivea at Wilko compared with Boots! I checked the dofference before xmas; £10 boots gold bag, £6 in Wilko. I think Boots add a lot on. Proven with the Zoella calendar scandal this xmas!
    I think people are wise to Boots being over the value of the gift.

In other news; anyone else fed up of the sea of pink- Soap& Glory?! Madness that there’s so much left! I mean TONNES of the pink sets; large, bags, make up. Their sales must have plummeted this year!

I’m definitely going to the sale, but not sure on what i actually want!?
  • Africat
    Africat Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    sampan26 wrote: »
    It IS really quiet!

Africat - so true about the Nivea at Wilko compared with Boots! I checked the dofference before xmas; £10 boots gold bag, £6 in Wilko. I think Boots add a lot on. Proven with the Zoella calendar scandal this xmas!
    I think people are wise to Boots being over the value of the gift.

In other news; anyone else fed up of the sea of pink- Soap& Glory?! Madness that there’s so much left! I mean TONNES of the pink sets; large, bags, make up. Their sales must have plummeted this year!

I’m definitely going to the sale, but not sure on what i actually want!?

Yep, they're easily a third more expensive, the 3for2 before Christmas is just a gimmick; not saving anything though I can see why the extra bonus points before Christmas is enticing but personally I don't get sucked into it any more.

Yep, my larger store has aisles full of pink!! Think some of the star gifts have had their day personally; just the same stuff every year in a lot of wasted packaging.

I'll get a few things but feeling I won't be spending as much as usual and I have a stash I really should run down before I go buying more.
    My smaller store has literally nothing left!!
  • Desperado99
    Desperado99 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary

I was just thinking that earlier.

I wonder if the bubble has burst a little after them moving it to a friday and not doing it online last year.

Thanks for the info on the make up brushes :) I don't think any of my recipients would appreciate them enough to warrant buying them even at 70% off as it would take up a big chunk of their present budget (whereas brands like Superdry and Jack Wills always go down really well).

I was near my usual store today and had a look, huge amounts of S&G (lots of those triangular wash bags that were there last year) but nothing that really stands out for me this year. Obviously I'll still be going (if I can) but I won't be spending lots.

There were also quite a few items that had things missing from them already, so just a warning, if anyone buys any of the big gift sets please check that everything's included ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure