Garden 'partition' ideas?

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    depends how much work you want to do, you could rest them on bricks so they are off the ground,

A no grow strip will make keeping whatever is each side easier to maintain.

could put edging in and gravel fill enough to keep the wood away from the wet inducing rot conditions.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Plant a couple of staggered jostaberry bushes. Full size about 10' square, fruit delicious, attracts butterflies - leave all this pallet art to further down.
    If you want a screen, pick something vigorously growing & let it do the heavy work!
  • DRP
    DRP Posts: 4,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'd go forfeather-edge fence with a gate..

we have a 4ft fence in the back of our garden, which hides the scruffy bit of extra land at the back quite well.

it would be quite cheap to DIY - quite easy too.
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,550 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just looking at the pallet fence photos earlier in the thread - bear in mind that if you go down that route with the small plant pots slotted in, they will dry out very quickly and will need watering probably twice daily in hot conditions.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    The pallet fences look like pallets and they'd be too wimpish to hide anything much.

Nature does the job so much better than people; just plant a hedge.

I put yew in as wind break hedges in 2010/11 and they're taller than me now. They'll be an asset long after I'm gone.
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Agree, pallets are too low to be a screen surely? If you actually want to hide the back of the garden you need to be looking at much higher than that.
    My suggestion of trellis panels tend to come in 6ft sizes, but you can mount them a foot off the ground if you want more height. I've got one with a clematis on it, which makes a great screen.
    A hedge is also a good idea, but I don't really see what is achieved by a low fence.
  • andrewf75 wrote: »
    Agree, pallets are too low to be a screen surely? If you actually want to hide the back of the garden you need to be looking at much higher than that.
    My suggestion of trellis panels tend to come in 6ft sizes, but you can mount them a foot off the ground if you want more height. I've got one with a clematis on it, which makes a great screen.
    A hedge is also a good idea, but I don't really see what is achieved by a low fence.

so the palettes would be two high, stacked on their side, one on top of the other and secured appropriately. Thus giving about 2.4m height give or take depending on which ones we can get.
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    tizzle6560 wrote: »
    so the palettes would be two high, stacked on their side, one on top of the other and secured appropriately. Thus giving about 2.4m height give or take depending on which ones we can get.

ah Ok, yes that sounds like a plan if you don't mind it looking a little "rustic" before the climbers cover them. But get something quick growing like clematis or passionflower and they will cover it in no time.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 13 October 2016 at 9:01AM
    DRP wrote: »
    I'd go forfeather-edge fence with a gate..

we have a 4ft fence in the back of our garden, which hides the scruffy bit of extra land at the back quite well.

it would be quite cheap to DIY - quite easy too.

depends what you think of as cheap

assuming the posts will be in whatever they do.
    for a 2.4mtr run 2.4 high
    rough costings

£8 2 arris rails
    £5 1 gravel board
    £35 20 150mm 11mm boards 22mm a bit more.
    (maybe a bit cheaper if you shop around)

off the shelf 6ft panel would be under £40
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport