The Spreadsheet Diva's MF Diary

Comments

• mrsp1987
    mrsp1987 Posts: 815 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Wedding Day Wonder Cashback Cashier
    I think you did the right thing in all honesty. Yes it's nice to be given a hunk of cash but if you haven't got it to give you did the next best thing and spent some time passing on your pearls of wisdom to DD and teaching her how to be self-sufficient. The BFs parents might not always be there to give them a spare ton of cash.
    What's that saying about giving a man a fish versus teaching a man to fish?
  • SueP19
    SueP19 Posts: 1,876 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    mrsp1987 wrote: »
    What's that saying about giving a man a fish versus teaching a man to fish?

Very very apt mrsp To be honest I was very angry they did it, I really tried to shut off the fact that we struggled as it does colour your judgements on hand out and did eventually come to the conclusion that it was not healthy for them, after time they may come to rely on it and it does worry me. OH had a friend years ago that had handouts constantly (we were really struggling at this point) they did go on to hand the keys back to their house and owed the mortgage company thousands and they eventually divorced, am sure if they had been made to stand on their own two feet it would have been a different tale :)
    Debt Free Diary - Second Chances! Life in a Tourer........Tilly Tidy Founder in 2016, Tilly Tidy 2023 £17.43, NSD Jan 2023 9/10, Debt £13,491.65
  • SueP19
    OK...................The Swinton Saga

I had to chase my renewal quote on 14th December (armed with comparisons) The quote was still £50 more than I could get so I said as much.

The very nice man said quote"I take it you won't be renewing with us then"
    I said "no"
    He said "well if you decide to renew with us call us back and we will honour the discounts I have just offered"

Fast forward 7th January (day before renewal) went with someone else :D wasn't doing TCB then :mad:

About a week later a letter arrives from Swinton tell me I have cancelled my dd and that I would no longer be insured with them...............er no I have gone elsewhere :think:

Week later another letter arrives saying that it was important I rang them as they were about to cancel my insurance and I would no longer be insured and that was illegal :think:

Another week passes to this Friday and arrive home to another letter from Swinton, telling me they had cancelled my insurance and I now owe them £88.05 :eek::eek::eek::eek:

This is made up of £25 cancellation charge, £31.22 insurance...........(eh!!!! renewal date to letter date 27 days) and £31.83 which is the discount less interest charged !!!!!!!!!!!:naughty:

I have changed my insurance regularly for two cars and never ever experienced a problem................Swinton you are con artists :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

........to be continued

ps Kw*k Fit not even asked me to prove NCB as they got the info from Swinton :wall::wall:
    Debt Free Diary - Second Chances! Life in a Tourer........Tilly Tidy Founder in 2016, Tilly Tidy 2023 £17.43, NSD Jan 2023 9/10, Debt £13,491.65
  • SueP19
    edited 8 February 2016 at 5:46PM
    I wonder if I could hire myself out as a counsellor.....................spent most of the day texting DD, the girl who got the promotion is bossing her about (they started at the same time) wanting to "take her through procedures"

Why are people so nasty, she got the job so why does she feel it necessary to rub my poor DD's nose in it.

I do happen to think it was a mistake to give either of them the job :(

PS think I need to do something money saving tomorrow (withdrawal symptoms)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Swinton sound weird - surely letting a policy run out and cancelling are two very different things? They really sound like they're trying it on. Hope you can get shut of them soon.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • SueP19
    I agree I have change insurance company on 2 cars for the last 3 years and have never experienced this x
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Just to say that I do not think you left your dd +bf 'struggling' - they understood that they had enough food in, plus enough money to get fresh bits. And they knew they had enough because you had explained it and shown them. And your dd spoke up honestly to bf's parents- good for her! You have an excellent dd there!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • mrsp1987
    mrsp1987 Posts: 815 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Wedding Day Wonder Cashback Cashier
    Sounds to me like something went wrong in the communication channels at Swinton. Or they're deliberately trying to scare you out of £90!
    I'm assuming youre going to be "registering a complaint"?
  • SueP19
    Just to say that I do not think you left your dd +bf 'struggling' - they understood that they had enough food in, plus enough money to get fresh bits. And they knew they had enough because you had explained it and shown them. And your dd spoke up honestly to bf's parents- good for her! You have an excellent dd there!

Ahhh thanks apple, she doesn't have life easy, like me, but she so wants to be proud of herself and relying on handouts is not her way :D
    mrsp1987 wrote: »
    Sounds to me like something went wrong in the communication channels at Swinton. Or they're deliberately trying to scare you out of £90!
    I'm assuming youre going to be "registering a complaint"?

I'm not sure mrsp it would appear to be so as it does mention passing the debt on :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: like that will really scare the pants of me, not. I am penning a rebuttal today :mad:
  • SueP19
    Well an unexpected refund from Am*zon today, really odd, sorry we didn't deliver your dvd, here is a refund :eek: .........but you did.

Must adnmit I did um n ah over this one but I thought £8.99 is £4.50 in interest............terrible isn't it, it's making me dishonest :p

Other MFW news I sold a craft item :T:T:T unexpected but every little bit helps...........about £28 after pp fees :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure