Replacing a HUDL 1

2»

Comments

• Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    BigAl94 wrote: »
    This will do your job perfectly and has GPS. I keep one on my boat just to run navigation maps and other related apps. http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4590224
    I have always found Lenovo to be good value products.

I have the 8" version of that and I love it, it was to replace a Hudl2 which I have since repaired, but not got around to testing yet. Lenovo stuff is really good, my OH has a Lenovo laptop.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have bought many of those so called Lenovo refurbs with no issues.

I suspect some of them have never even being switched ON by the previous user, if there was ever a previous user? I think some of them are new but sold cheaper as a refurb maybe to gain a price advantage on the competition.

Or to make you think you are getting a bargain in compared to retail price? , which you are
  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,807 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Robisere wrote: »
    I have the 8" version of that and I love it, it was to replace a Hudl2 which I have since repaired, but not got around to testing yet. Lenovo stuff is really good, my OH has a Lenovo laptop.

I've been looking at the 8" lenovo too, because it's a higher screen resolution and it's not a ~lot~ bigger than the Hudl. It can be got with Android 6 too, which may future-proof it a bit (if the battery lasts) - though in most other respects its spec is not that great. So many to choose from...
  • psychic_teabag
    psychic_teabag Posts: 2,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    One thing you could possibly try (as an interim) is one of those backup battery powerpack things. Treat it a bit like an external battery (since portability less of a factor for you). The one I have can supply power at a higher rate than my car usb charger.

You might even be able to have it plugged into the usb charger at the same time, so that it is supplementing the power from the charger (in a sense).

Other thought is that cheap car usb chargers are passive things - they just dissipate the excess voltage as heat, and have limited current output. You can probably get proper active convertors that can supply a higher current.
  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,807 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Yes - you're right. It won't recharge at a high enough rate from one of my car chargers to keep up, and the same is true of one of the mains chargers. But an alternative car charger ~just~ keeps up.

Possibly I could buy one of the battery banks, but in a way it would just be wasted money as the internal battery is going to get worse. Once they go below a certain point, the power controller inside the Hudl just gives up and refuses to charge them.

Still looking at the Lenovo Tab 2 and Tab 3. The Tab 2 is a better spec, but an older version of Android, and of course a refurbed one will have an older battery...
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    ballyblack wrote: »
    I have bought many of those so called Lenovo refurbs with no issues.

I suspect some of them have never even being switched ON by the previous user, if there was ever a previous user? I think some of them are new but sold cheaper as a refurb maybe to gain a price advantage on the competition.

Or to make you think you are getting a bargain in compared to retail price? , which you are
    the call them refurbs, but some are just store returns 'i have changed my mind' or ' i cant figure it out' i remember once getting a box of 100 from littlewoods and 40% of them still have the protective cellophane on them and boxes has the store returns label on and some stated reason for return ' too small', but because they had been opened and seal broken they could not be resold, so they were sold in bulk to clearance houses
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure