Please help! Cifas , fraud marker, good credit score

2»

Comments

• A4445
    A4445 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    I was subject to CIFAS marker, someone took out a mobile contract in my name. It was dealt with and the marker was added for 12m some applications were automatically referred. They wanted to ask some questions to make sure it was me applying.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    So a quick update on current situation...

Applied for an aqua credit card couple of weeks ago and to my amazement card and pin dropped through the letter box on Friday! So happy, finally managed to get some sort of credit to start rebuilding and managing my money. Considering only a year ago I couldn't get a basic bank account or car insurance to now get a credit card is a big step forward.

But this has left me wondering, does this mean i don't have a CIFAS? Surely aqua would not have given me a credit card if I had any sort of marker with a fraud agency ? Have sent 2 SAR requests away one to national hunter and the other to CIFAS done this about 7 days ago. So at the moment just waiting on my SAR coming back in the post. How long does this usually take ? Am I right in thinking I wouldn't have got a credit card with a fraud marker ?

Anyway over the moon at the moment with my credit card gives me the start I need to rebuild and work my way towards a mortgage !

It could be that where you said the ID fraud happened 5 years ago that your CIFAS marker may have reached the 6 year limit and expired/been removed thus Aqua accepting your application.

Or have you seen copies of your Experian and Equifax files too to see if there was any conflicting information on those?

It doesn't make sense otherwise that you weren't able to open a bank account/car insurance etc. Update the thread once you have received the CIFAS info back. If it comes back clear, then try again for a bank account and see what happens.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • rtho782
    rtho782 Posts: 1,189
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    There is also Synetics Solutions.

I'm on their systems because Coop bank decided an application I made years ago was possibly fraudulent. They didn't tell me this, just declined and I moved on.

3 years later certain car insurance companies won't insure me because Coop incorrectly thought I was committing fraud with no evidence 3 years ago.

There is nothing I can do, because Synetics have only recorded that coop SUSPECTED fraud (which is accurate) and coop won't change the data, and the FOS and ICO don't care.

So, through no fault of my own I pay about 25% more for car insurance and can never do anything about it.
  • Ok guys thanks for the help will update the thread when I receive my SAR from cifas/national hunter
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,867
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    rtho782 wrote: »
    There is also Synetics Solutions.

I'm on their systems because Coop bank decided an application I made years ago was possibly fraudulent. They didn't tell me this, just declined and I moved on.

3 years later certain car insurance companies won't insure me because Coop incorrectly thought I was committing fraud with no evidence 3 years ago.

There is nothing I can do, because Synetics have only recorded that coop SUSPECTED fraud (which is accurate) and coop won't change the data, and the FOS and ICO don't care.

So, through no fault of my own I pay about 25% more for car insurance and can never do anything about it.

Did you do a SAR to Syectics and it shows a 'refer' status against the Co-op application? One refer status shouldn't harm an application. It's when there's lots of them that it may impact applications.
  • rtho782
    rtho782 Posts: 1,189
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Ed-1 wrote: »
    Did you do a SAR to Syectics and it shows a 'refer' status against the Co-op application? One refer status shouldn't harm an application. It's when there's lots of them that it may impact applications.

Yup, I did, there is only the coop issue on there.

The car insurance company in question, Skyfire Insurance, just automatically (not reviewed by a human) decline if anything is pulled up, which is counter to what Synetics say happens in their FAQ, but according to the Ombudsman is between Skyfire and Synetics and I have no right to complain about it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure