December Debt Destruction!!!

Comments

• Only buy/bought for parents, BF and son. The rest get HM hampers with cupboard ingredients like cookies or HM limoncello, which is infusing as we speak and paid for

Thrifty would love your recipe for the Limoncello please :)

I've not yet started my pressie shopping :eek: - very small list, just parents & 3 very close friends (so also can't cut out 5).

The Linoncello would be perfect for the friends pressies as we've set ourselves a budget of £5 already so will easily manage that!

I found a couple of recipes online but I much prefer using one that I know someone's actually made & works!;) TIA
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • Sholly
    Sholly Posts: 269
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I signed up without reading the rules so I've just had a look and this challenge looks AMAZING!! It's just perfect for December, not cold turkey (who wants cold turkey at Christmas!! :) ) but just enough that we still push ourselves and keep our spending in check. Kat, you are amazing for coming up with all of those rules. I guess we all just have to look at what we can do in our personal circumstances - for me, I won't be able to cut out 5 people to buy for as we only buy for close family (I am buying for 13, and my sister and I go halves on 9 of them). I also can't really reduce my shopping budget as £60 for 2 adults and 1 child is low anyway, this was my bidget from NOvember and I don't think I managed it so this is the challenge for DDD. However, all of the other rules are absolutely do-able; I've already said no to the Secret Santa :) The spend diary needs to be my focus this month, I need to keep better track of my spending and record my NSDs, this is where I need to improve from NOvember.

One thing I will be doing is spending in the sales...hang on, I can justify this one!!!! It's my birthday in December and I'm going to ask for money because I am desperate for clothes (honestly, desperate!). I promise that I will only spend what I am given for my birthday and not a penny more BUT I do need NSK approval before I do this?

DDD...bring it on!!!!

Sholly x
  • Thrifty would love your recipe for the Limoncello please :)

I've not yet started my pressie shopping :eek: - very small list, just parents & 3 very close friends (so also can't cut out 5).

The Linoncello would be perfect for the friends pressies as we've set ourselves a budget of £5 already so will easily manage that!

I found a couple of recipes online but I much prefer using one that I know someone's actually made & works!;) TIA

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/513100 that's the one I've used. Lemons are cheap and if they're waxed (cheaper than unwaxed) just wash them in hot soapy water. Vodka can be dear but cheap stuff does as the lemon flavour takes over and the sugar smoothes it out. Better start soon as it takes 4 weeks to infuse (did only 3 weeks last year and it as fine.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Rising- if you are going to make the Limoncello, then if you get to Lidl today, they have a bag of Lemons on offer for 79p. 100% extra free, and they are unwaxed.
    HTH.
  • I think there might be some clarification needed here. I would like everyone to follow every rule to the letter to be honest - but that is not clearly do-able entirely in this month!!

Everyone has a different circumstance and me being pedantic won't help. I certainly can't insist that someone who lives in the middle of no-where, or someone who walks with a cane or could be disable should not use their car. Like I said in my other post its about using your loaf - my friend uses her car for a 5 minute jaunt to the local shops.

It's simply about re-thinking our situations as to what is necessary. I told one contender to over-budget as she is in a new area and is unsure about petrol usage. I would rather she budgeted £125 for a possible £100 usage but know, that when she gets to that £125 mark there is no room for any more - therefore walking / buses etc might be an option for shorter journeys or walking that mahoosive brood to school. ( This was not open season to over-budget on everything )..

Giving this one person a way to join in ( and for you Rising ) means I was being nice, but I like what Trifty says - if its not for you, you don't need to join. This is supposed to be a little bit of fun as well...

Rising have another look down after that post when I "thought you were joking" - there is room for slight re-adjustment should something not fit... but I don't buy for anyone this year - no presents whatsoever.. but I know some people who are buy a lot of gifts for people they don't really like...

I would prefer to have been in charge of your money from 01/01/2012 - then I would be better able to dictate this very difficult Christmas period etc... and know each persons personal circumstance...However I don't.
    To everyone who is concerned, worried etc.. I hope this clarifies a few things... I will not be posting on this subject again. You either join or you don't.
    Simples.

Onwards and Upwards.
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • I think I'd like to join - eek its frightening!!!! :o

Is that a number you require...?
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/513100 that's the one I've used. Lemons are cheap and if they're waxed (cheaper than unwaxed) just wash them in hot soapy water. Vodka can be dear but cheap stuff does as the lemon flavour takes over and the sugar smoothes it out. Better start soon as it takes 4 weeks to infuse (did only 3 weeks last year and it as fine.
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    Rising- if you are going to make the Limoncello, then if you get to Lidl today, they have a bag of Lemons on offer for 79p. 100% extra free, and they are unwaxed.
    HTH.

Brilliant, thanks!:) I'd better get organised quickly!
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • Is that a number you require...?

y'hu I think it is..... :p
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • If you've got an Al*di near you - they do some fantastic (and unusual) cheeses and they're great prices :).

We have one about 10 miles away. I usually save up lots of things to do in the big town and do one big splurge. Saves on petrol costs.

I will try Lidl, thanks for that. xxx
  • Mancman86
    Mancman86 Posts: 104
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 28 November 2012 at 2:17PM
    NinjaSavingKat Please give me a number and count me in!! Having read the rules (numerous times) to this challenge I think it could be doable. Although may be a struggle if cant get OH on board. Ive set my petrol allowance. Food allowance is probably going to be £250 for the month - slashed to £220. I can easily exercise 6 x per week. I am aiming for 20 NSD.
    Trying to keep head above water...bring on this challenge. I have worked out theres a small potential for clearing 10% of my c/c debt by end of december - i get paid on 30th November and then again on 21st December - this will need to last me until fri 25th January.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure