Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Small Biz & Charities' MoneySaving > Cheap postage for a bulk (500) mailshot? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Cheap postage for a bulk (500) mailshot?
Views: 626
# 1
rmwebs
Old 27-03-2013, 10:26 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Question Cheap postage for a bulk (500) mailshot?

I'm about to do a mailshot (a standard c5 envelope) to 500 customers and am looking for the cheapest way of doing it. It's a one-off thing so opening business account ans such with Royal Mail aren't something they would entertain.

I know using someone else's franking machine is an option, and may have a lead on one. If not, I'm also a member of costco, however cant find any prices online for what they charge for standard 2nd class stamps. Does anyone have any idea if they are cheaper, and if they are, by how much?

Alternatively, anyone have any ideas on cheaper postage? I did look into online postage services however they cant do what we want (sending an already printed flyer).

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
phill99
Old 28-03-2013, 12:00 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Last time I was in Costco, buying stamps from them in bulk worked out at about 1.5p less per stamp. So on 500 you would save 7.50, which may be lost if you have to make a special journey there.
Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
# 3
paddyrg
Old 28-03-2013, 6:30 AM

Whilst 500 is a lot by most standards, it is nothing in terms of business post plans. The best discounts are for pre sorted mail with a regular stream as opposed to a single mailshot.

If all the addresses are near one another maybe pay kids to do a round but to enter the normal mail stream I suspect that you will have to pay near normal prices.
# 4
Savvy_Sue
Old 29-03-2013, 2:31 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by phill99 View Post
Last time I was in Costco, buying stamps from them in bulk worked out at about 1.5p less per stamp. So on 500 you would save 7.50, which may be lost if you have to make a special journey there.
And when I looked at their website for what they do online, I couldn't find stamps. If the OP can, please let me know because I buy a LOT of stamps from them ...

If using someone else's franking machine, some tips:

Make sure you switch OFF their return address from the frank before you start. Easiest option, but you should then put the 'right' address on in some other way - Ablelabel from Steepleprint or an address rubber stamp, ditto. (sorry in a hurry so not looking for link atm!)

If you're ordering your own return address for the franking machine, allow plenty of time for this to arrive. And the cost might outweigh the benefits of using the franking machine.

and make sure it's got enough credit before you start: with some, it costs more if you have to load credit more than once a day, so loading it and then having to do it again isn't wise.

and make sure there's plenty of spare ink around.

and finally, identify a skilled user of the machine, and either have them on hand or get an indepth lesson before you start. It will jam, it will skip a few, it will misbehave if it suspects you don't know what you're doing.

Oh, and finally finally, do check thoroughly that ALL envelopes are franked or stamped, nothing is worse than people you don't want to offend having to pay excess postage.

If you've got access to a machine where all you'll have to pay for are the actual franks, it could be a moneysaver, but if you're contributing to the ink as well then I'm less convinced. Hence why we buy lots of stamps from CostCo and don't have a franking machine.

I have been there and have several t-shirts.
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

The Isle of Man is not as warm as the Canary Islands!
# 5
martindow
Old 30-03-2013, 12:38 PM

There are companies that offer to do mailshots, presumably using their bulk rates from RM to make a profit. You send them a computer file and they print and send.

Google mailshot services to find some of these companies.
# 6
Savvy_Sue
Old 30-03-2013, 2:07 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by martindow View Post
There are companies that offer to do mailshots, presumably using their bulk rates from RM to make a profit. You send them a computer file and they print and send.

Google mailshot services to find some of these companies.
I think the OP's already got the fliers printed though.
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

The Isle of Man is not as warm as the Canary Islands!
# 7
martindow
Old 30-03-2013, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy_Sue View Post
I think the OP's already got the fliers printed though.
You're quite right - sorry, I missed the end of the OP.
The Following User Says Thank You to martindow For This Useful Post: Show me >>