The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Thomas Cook ONLY

Comments

• We flew Thomas Cook in August 2012 Manchester to Kefalonia departure 9.10am didn't leave till 12.00 noon. When we arrived at departure gate we were told, "That plane is sick, it's not going anywhere! We are awaiting a plane from the hanger. will let you know what gate to go too."
    The return flight was due to take-off from Kefalonia at 3.15pm but, when it departed Manchester on its way, it had to return. They had to send another plane which didn't leave Kefalonia till 19.45, a 4 and a half hour wait, in this time they supplied us with one (1) bagquet style sandwich and a bottle of water? In total over seven (7) hours missing from our holiday.
    1) Where can I down load the template?
    2) How do I get copies of flight number?
    This was 6 months ago and I didn't think we were entitled to compensation till I came on here.

Regards

Bill
  • maghater
    maghater Posts: 349
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Gorbar wrote: »
    Don't believe anything they tell you. Our delay was in Corfu & after reading most of the MSE forum on delayed flights I decided to contact the Greek equivilant of the CAA. Not hearing anything from them after 6 weeks I sent them a reminder, the reply back was they had heard nothing from TC, of course they deny having received it. During a telephone conversation with TC I mentioned this only for them to inform me that I should have contacted the UK CAA, contacted them & they replied no contact the Greek CAA, which I have done. & they have still not heard anything back. Think TC don't know the meaning of the truth. Not taking it to court would be to expensive & they would be able to employ the very best defence. Best of luck to anybody who takes them to court just make sure they are telling the truth

Wrote to Spanish equiv, wrote back to me saying they had written to TC and were awaiting their reply, about 10 weeks letter, got another letter from them saying TC had not replied to them in two full months, therefor the AESA considers that the air carrier has not proved that the delay was caused by extraordinary circumstances, and accordingly should pay compensation for 400 EUros per passenger. WRote to TC with a copy of this letter, no response, so hope it carries a bit of clout with UK court
  • --Tony--
    --Tony-- Posts: 1,742
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi all,

This must be a first from Thomas Cook!

I complained about my flight TCX242 to Cancun which arrived 4 hours 25 min late on 2 December asking for 1200 euro.

I sent my letter off on 20th December right after getting back & not expecting a lot after all the posts on here.

Just got home from work to find a letter and a voucher for £1006.00, I may ask them to change it to a cheque but that aside I think this is a first, getting a payout in full following a first letter.

I wont transcribe the whole letter but the key line says:

"In line with our obligation under regulation 261, I would ask you to accept the enclosed voucher for £1006.00."

Very happy and have not even needed to ask any advice on the forum but thanks to everyone for all the information and template letters :)

Anyone else on flight TCX242 on 02/12/12 should get a claim in ASAP and contact me for a copy of my letter if they have any trouble with payout.
  • Boffle
    Boffle Posts: 10 Forumite
    Hi guys

Long story short had a 29 hour delay outbound and a 25 hour delay on return flight.

I wrote to Thomas Cook claiming £480 per person per flight as per the EU ruling.

They have replied today stating the following :

Usual drivel about they are sorry they spoilt my holiday, they value my custom and that they regret i was delayed etc.

This is the part of the letter that i need advice on

"In line with our obligations under regulation 261, i would ask you to accept the enclosed voucher to the value of £980. I trust this will allow us the opportunity to prove to you that your experience is not typical of our usual performance".

Is regulation 261 the same as the eu ruling as all the info i look up is regarding 2010 and 2004?

Do i have to accept the voucher or can i request the cash equivalent if i am happy with the amount?

What would you do? Proceed for the full £1920 i am entitled to?

I am worried that if i turn down the voucher and take them to court should they not agree to the cash equivalent the judge may rule in their favor.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks guru's

Apologies for any incorrect grammar.
  • Boffle
    Boffle Posts: 10 Forumite
    --Tony-- wrote: »
    Hi all,

This must be a first from Thomas Cook!

I complained about my flight TCX242 to Cancun which arrived 4 hours 25 min late on 2 December asking for 1200 euro.

I sent my letter off on 20th December right after getting back & not expecting a lot after all the posts on here.

Just got home from work to find a letter and a voucher for £1006.00, I may ask them to change it to a cheque but that aside I think this is a first, getting a payout in full following a first letter.

I wont transcribe the whole letter but the key line says:

"In line with our obligation under regulation 261, I would ask you to accept the enclosed voucher for £1006.00."

Very happy and have not even needed to ask any advice on the forum but thanks to everyone for all the information and template letters :)

Anyone else on flight TCX242 on 02/12/12 should get a claim in ASAP and contact me for a copy of my letter if they have any trouble with payout.

mate we were on same flight see my reply below. They offered me a bit less but i want cash too.
  • --Tony--
    Forumite
    Thinking about it I am going to demand a cheque even though I want to book flights, the vouchers could be worthless is they go the way of HMV etc.

The letter admits liability so they have to exchange it for a cheque.

I have a feeling all these payouts will finish TC and some others off.
  • --Tony--
    Forumite
    Boffle wrote: »
    mate we were on same flight see my reply below. They offered me a bit less but i want cash too.

It's not the same flight, different date & my delay was 4 hours 25 min.

You will find they use the same flight numbers every week for the same route, as above my flight was 02/12/12.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    ...I have a feeling all these payouts will finish TC and some others off....

As a percentage of total revenue in a year, such payouts are negligible.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite

I have a feeling all these payouts will finish TC and some others off.

I don't. Monarch are claiming 10,000 claims received so far, so i'll use that as an example.
    Even if every single claim was legitimate, and at the base level of €250 per person, that's 'only' €2,500,000.00 which is a drop in the ocean for a big airline. (especially spread over 6 years, €400,000 a year)
  • --Tony--
    Forumite
    edited 17 January 2013 at 11:23AM
    I have just returned my voucher (recorded) requesting it be exchanged for a cheque.

Here is the full letter if it helps anyone & perhaps give hope.
    Dear Mr xxxxxxxx

I am writing in response to your letter regarding yourrecent travel arrangements with Thomas Cook.

It is with regret that l note your flight with us was delayed. Whilst delays are an accepted part of air travel, I would like to assure you that a lot of work goes on behind the scenes to ensure that anydisruption to our passengers is kept to an absolute minimum.

When a delay is initially identified, is not always immediately apparent as to when a revised take off time can be secured. Anumber of factors have to be considered, which can vary dependent on the reasonfor the delay, and quite often we are reliant on outside influences, such as Airport Authorities or Air Traffic Control. Throughout, however, as soon as confirmed information is available, this is passed onto our customers as quickly aspossible through our handling agents at the airport.

Although delays are rare, they can arise for a number ofdifferent reasons, and having carried out a full investigation l would assure you that we took all reasonable steps possible to minimise the waiting time forour customers. In line with our obligations under Regulation 261, l would ask you to accept the enclosed voucher to the value of £1006. I trust this will allow us the opportunity to prove to you that your experience is not typical ofour usual performance.

Please be assured that on-time performance is a key measurefor us as a business, and we constantly review our operations to ensure wedeliver the best results, and service. I would like to offer our apologies forany inconvenience you were caused on this occasion and l hope that despite this, your stay was found to be an enjoyable one.

Yours sincerely

XXXX XXXXX

Customer Relations Team

Customer Relations Executive
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business