Sat/Sun 8/9 December - What small DFW things will you do today?

allydowd
allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
edited 9 December 2012 at 11:54AM in Debt-free wannabe
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
:money:

G'morning DFW-Jedis. Today I will be:

#Trying to avert a disaster! OH and I decided to only by two gifts each this year for Christmas. And the 'perfect gift' I found for my OH is out of stock so I need to find a new supplier. :( Looking for one of these:
(Link.) It's the perfect gift as my OH and have joked about getting old and having an allotment (!) since we met five years ago and I've set my heart on getting it for her. We tried to get a real allotment but there are none to be had locally although we do now have a big back garden which is going to have a big veg plot. Oh my, I found one on Amazon!!! Oh the relief!!!

#Try to finish wallpapering sitting room. We found some inexpensive wallpaper in town yesterday but only managed to get one wall done yesterday. Returned three other rolls of paper for a refund. Use wallpaper paste from another project. Did very complex calculation to work out the smallest number of rolls we could get away with buying given that the paper has a repeating pattern.

#Week 3 of no tv. Will watch Top Gear tonight downloaded from internet on iPlayer. Cancel tv license if this continues. You only need a license if you watch tv as it's being broadcast and we're not just now. No aerial/dish! (Link.)

#Week 3 of no anti-depressants. Enjoying not having to go collect prescriptions. That's a few pennies petrol saved. :T

#Anyone want to see our newly decorated kitchen? All done DFW-style.
(Link.)

#Lunch today: last night's leftovers. £0.

#Put up Christmas tree left in loft by last tenant when we've made a base for it and finished decorating sitting room.
Baubles and tinsel from last year. £0.

#Staying in; no petrol used. £0.

#Offer curtain rails on Freecycle. (Link)

#Read newspapers online. Find your favourite online paper at the bottom of this page. (Link)

#Get Physiotherapist OH to treat sore back. £0.

#Moisturise very dry hands with olive oil.

#Contemplate buying a solar-powered light to gently illuminate the sitting room at night without using electricity. Will shop around for cheaper ones first.
(Link.)

#Use wind-up torch instead of battery torch.

#OH got paid for mystery shop. Grass Roots are still recruiting if anyone wants to become a mystery shopper.
(Link.)

:snow_grin :snow_grin :snow_grin :snow_grin :snow_grin :snow_grin :snow_grin :snow_grin :snow_grin :snow_grin :snow_grin :snow_grin:snow_grin :snow_grin :snow_grin :snow_grin :snow_grin :snow_grin:snow_grin :snow_grin :snow_grin :snow_grin

#Got a smartphone? Got Quidco? Walking past any shops? Get the Quidco App and get paid for checking in at major chains. No spend required. Confirms same day. Last Saturday I earned £2 for walking around local shopping centre while I was waiting for my OH. Most of the time it allowed me to check-in while standing just outside the shops concerned. You need to leave a minute between each check-in. If I'd done every shop in the big shopping centre I could have earned a fiver! (Link.)

# 30% off Hallmark personalised gifts.Enter XMAS30 at the checkout. (Link.)

#Daily Express -80p-Free Settlers Mintees at Tesco. Page 34.

#The Sun-50p-Page 24 Coupon for £5 Off £25 Spend at Debenhams. Also Valid Online with Code RK73. Page 24 Coupon for £5 Off £25 Spend at Dorothy Perkins
Valid to 14/12, also valid at www.dorothyperkins.com/sun with Code DPSUN1.

#DailyStar-55p- Free £10 Footie Bet (new customers) - Redeem at Totepool.com Please gamble with care, losing all your cash at the bookies isn't very DFW!

#
DailyStar-55p-2 for 1 Pizza PLUS FREE Coca Cola - Redeem at Papa Johns

#Free £10 train e-voucher. (Link.)
Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama

Comments

• katy_ann
    katy_ann Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Morning :) And good weekend! Today I will be;

- Doing a load of washing and hanging to dry
    - Buying a cheap shredder to shread my paperwork
    - Going to the bank
    - Going to the tip to get rid of an old duvet
    - Trying to get rid of an old wedding dress, am now thinking charity shop as it just wont sell!

Hope everyone has a good weekend! x
    Debt free once - Back again | Current debt: £3002.96 - January 2023 | Currently repaying £50 a month - Estimated DFD Jan 2028 | Make £2023 in 2023 #51 - £33.75/£2023
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    katy_ann wrote: »
    - Trying to get rid of an old wedding dress, am now thinking charity shop as it just wont sell!

Have you tried advertising for free on Gumtree? (Link.)

Or taking it to a dress shop and asking them to buy it?
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • Morning all :)Ally thanks for starting us off, great news you managed to find OHs pressie somewhere else & the kitchen looks fab!:T The units look really new & clean - were the flats refurbished before you moved in?

Things for today:
    • Have bath, thermals on ..... heating off
    • B / L / D from stores
    • Don’t smoke
    • Check online banking, shuffle as needed & update spreadsheets
    • Sort cats & tidy up
    • Check e*bay listings & cat food swap / sale site
    • Knit DMs Christmas scarf .... running out of time!
    • Apply for Virus Software Renewal through online banking
    • Do some more shredding
    • Check tyre pressures & top up screen wash - making stronger as this was frozen the other morning!
    • Cover outside tap so it doesn't freeze
    • Sort [STRIKE]junk [/STRIKE]stuff that seems to have accumulated on garage floor since I cleared it out (again!:mad:) so I can put car in if it gets awful
    • Finalise 2013 budgets - trying to work out how much to add to this years' figures for inflation etc .... any ideas?

That's it for now - sure I'll think of more!:o

Have a lovely weekend everyone:)
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • katy_ann
    katy_ann Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    allydowd wrote: »
    Have you tried advertising for free on Gumtree? (Link.)

Or taking it to a dress shop and asking them to buy it?

Yes! :( The local dress shops say they wont take it as its too "bling" it has sequins on the front and ive been listing it on gumtree about 4 times a week for over a year now :(
    Debt free once - Back again | Current debt: £3002.96 - January 2023 | Currently repaying £50 a month - Estimated DFD Jan 2028 | Make £2023 in 2023 #51 - £33.75/£2023
  • Morning people

This weekend I:
    * will collect prescription from chemist and use medical exemption card
    * will write a moany email to tesco
    * will not smoke or buy any cigarettes
    * will go to the cinema at least once using unlimited card
    * will go swimming twice using gym card

:heartpuls CG :heartpuls
    Ever wonder about those people who spend £2 apiece on those little bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backward.
  • katy_ann wrote: »
    Yes! :( The local dress shops say they wont take it as its too "bling" it has sequins on the front and ive been listing it on gumtree about 4 times a week for over a year now :(

I sold mine at a boot sale to a lady who was going to cut it up and make period costumes. I only got £20 for it but I'd been trying to shift it for 5 yrs. the fact she was going to cut it up made it more pleasurable to sell:p
    Official DFW nerd no 551 - proud to be dealing with my debts
    Debts as of March 2014
    Nationwide - £5745, Overdraft - £350,
    Debts as of January 2015
    Nationwide - £4997, Overdraft - £0:j
  • Today I will/have

Checked banks - all good
    Listed on eBay (it's just the things that didn't sell last time)
    Cancelled beauticians app in town (26mile round trip). Will just go local instead
    Washing on at 30 and will put it on for an extra spin when its finished to avoid it being in TD too long
    Going to price new laptops - mines is goosed
    Getting roof fixed - must write cheque
    Tidy house before putting tree up tomorrow

Have a lovely weekend guys xx
    Official DFW nerd no 551 - proud to be dealing with my debts
    Debts as of March 2014
    Nationwide - £5745, Overdraft - £350,
    Debts as of January 2015
    Nationwide - £4997, Overdraft - £0:j
  • Afternoon all :) thanks for starting us Ally :)

My list for the weekend:
    Meals from stores, just need some potatoes. DH out to buy them
    Posted 8 e*bay parcels that sold last night. Made £33 :j DH out to post them
    Eat homemade wares from yesterday :D
    Wash bed sheets, dry over doors
    Some quality time with DD and DH
    Check banking
    Move PayPal money :D
    Go to DD Christmas play tomorrow, free entry. Small donation for hot drink and mince pie
    No heating on during the days when at home
    Look for car seat on offer for DD either through cash back or vouchers

This could all clearly go to pot if bump decides to FINALLY put in an appearance;)

Have a good weekend everyone :)
  • Pernicious
    Pernicious Posts: 1,786 Forumite
    Afternoon all,

Thanks for starting us off Ally, glad you found the present on Amaz0n, it's cute!
    Jonno - Thank you for posting the recipe yesterday, I will give them a go very soon but I don't think they'll last long in this house!

Today I have/will:-
    • Caught up on yesterday's thread
    • Food from stores
    • Dinner from meal plan - Kale & mushroom lasagne
    • Charging phone via pc
    • Heating off as long as possible & on low when needed, lots of layers on to keep warm.
    • Daily clicks etc on Sw@gbucks
    • Log calories using free app
    • Check online banking
    • Surveys
    • Declutter & flylady
    • Check for new mystery shopping opportunities
    • Enter some comps
    • Wrap some presents
    • Read Martin's email properly as I didn't get round to this yesterday
    • Go to second job tonight
    • Pick up photos from Mr T's, framing a couple of wedding photos as cheap xmas gifts for certain family members
    Have a great, MSE day everyone x
    :idea:Debt at July 2012: £12,862.57 :eek:
    :dance:Current Debt: £0 :j
    100% paid off!
    :think: Savings Goal for November 2016: £5000 :cool:
    :D Current Savings: £1176.24 _party_
    23.52% Saved!
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Afternoon all - Ally your kitchen looks brand new!

Had a busy day so far and just having a sit down...
    Today's little things....

• Walked dog locally saving petrol to the park
    • Went for a 5K run for free exercise
    • Cleaned whole house
    • Load of washing done and drying on the airer
    • Popped to vegan shop for some goodies that will last a couple of weeks (£10)
    • Did a small shop with a list in Morrisons (hate that shop but was close to it so thought it would save money on petrol)
    • Walked dog in the park on the way back
    • Only got £10 out of the cashpoint to see if that stops me spending willy nilly when there's money in my purse
    • Staying in tonight and watching a boxoffice film for £3.49 rather than spending tons on going out
    • Phone mum on free landline rather than using mobile mins
    • All food from stores - resisted getting a Subway when out, had supernoodles at home instead and am making a curry for tea using up fridge stuff
    That's about it for today.
    See you tomorrow!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family