Once a month cooking

I've seen once a month cooking recommended in books and sites from the US. The idea sounds great although I'm not sure that I would have the energy or storage space to do all that cooking in one go plus all the recipes sound very "not me"-lots of ingredients we don't use often here. Maybe I'm just being stick in the mud.
Has anyone tried once a month cookery? Was this successful? Can you give me any tips about this?
Many thanks

Comments

• MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I sort of tried it but it is a real marathon. i find it much easier to have a three week meal plan with meals designed to use up left over ingredients from previous dishes to minimize the amount of store cupboard items I need to buy. I also plan the menus around the time I will know I have each day. The evening I have kidz swimming, concert club, and gymnastics after school will be the night I plan something very quick 'n' easy for egample. HTH
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Aye, I'm with MATH on this one. For soups, curries, casserole type things I'll do extra when I make it to fit the menu plan and stash some away for days when I don't feel like cooking but want a home cooked ready meal, but I don't deliberately do a monthly cook.

About the only time I batch cook is when I'm going to use the oven. Then I'll knock up some pastry to do a few simple flans and pies, tarts and quiches just to make best use of the cooker while it's on.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • dorry_2
    dorry_2 Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    i have never done this , but i think if i had more frezzer space i would do what squeky and math do and fit them into my menu planning. i gonna think this one over.

has anyone got any more ideas??
    'If you judge people, you have no time to love them'
    Mother Teresa :D
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi, Yes I looked at this once, but just like you found the suggested meals unsuitable, and the thought of a day doing nothing but cooking.....aaarrggghh!
    The nearest I get to that sort of thing is to double up sometimes. eg if I am making spag bog or something, to cook 2 or 3 quantities at the same time & freeze the rest. Same goes for quiches etc.
  • chickadee
    chickadee Posts: 1,447
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think if I had to face the once-a-month cooking day I would be tempted to stay in bed. Far too much to deal with! :o
    Sealed Pot Challenge #8 £341.90
    Sealed Pot Challenge #9 £162.98
    Sealed Pot Challenge #10 £33.10
    Sealed Pot Challenge #11 Member #36
  • Zend
    Zend Posts: 166 Forumite
    I've sort have had a go at it, made 17 lasagneslast week ,then spent the next day in bed, I have bad back problems and standing for so long did not help. I intend to make batches of curry, meat pies and vegetarian stuff for me.
    January spend = £100
    Spent =
    saving =
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    17!! Good grief! :)

I can sympathise with the back problem - it's why so few of my recipes are for things that you have to watch for more than a couple of minutes at a time. And why I do as much of my preparation as possible sitting down.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • I've been tempted by this-not sure why though as I like cooking and wouldn't want to only do it once a month.Still an interesting idea.The thing that I thought might be more do-able was to triple-up meals once a week.So if you did 3 lasagnes on Friday,3 cottage pies the next Friday and so on, it wouldn't take you long to build up a stock of freezer meals with no extra effort.
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    thriftlady wrote:
    I've been tempted by this-not sure why though as I like cooking and wouldn't want to only do it once a month.Still an interesting idea.The thing that I thought might be more do-able was to triple-up meals once a week.So if you did 3 lasagnes on Friday,3 cottage pies the next Friday and so on, it wouldn't take you long to build up a stock of freezer meals with no extra effort.

that's a really clever way of doing it!
    thank you!
    :happyhear
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I love cooking too, but to keep myself on top of things for the days I'm working, I keep Friday as cooking day. So far I have a lasagne, two family sized boeuf stroganoffs and two cheese and ham pies cooling for the freezer.

The kitchen looks like a bomb has hit it.:(

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family