Seraquin

Hi
As any body got an alternative to Seraquin As my dog charlie is already on Metacam and I noticed one of the posters uses cod liver oil as an altenative I will try that. Only my prescriptions are costing £70. per month. Many thanks for any Ideas. He has arthritis.
confused-smiley-013.gif

Comments

• orlao
    orlao Posts: 1,090
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi

Try asking your vet, with on going things they can be understanding about cutting costs and may prescribe/ recommend other (cheaper!) products.

Also, I would ask some of the sites that sell prescription meds.....don't know if they're allowed to do that tho.

Good luck.
  • gemmaj
    gemmaj Posts: 434
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Seraquin is Glucosamine Chondroitin Sulphate and Curcumin (tumeric extract).

There are lots of difference Glucosamine Chondroitin based products, some with tumeric and some with other ingrediants supposed to help stiffness/cartilage growth. If your dog has joint problems/arthritis then you can feed any of the reasonable products (avoid most cheap tablets) meant for dogs.

Examples are Joint Aid, Cortaflex, Arthri-aid, pedigree joint care chews, there are hundreds. The cheapest good quality stuff I have ever managed to get (bearing in mind that my dog is big so gets through large amounts) is syn-flex from Ebay from America (seller is Shop the Zoo, but watch out for tax when it comes in to Britain!).

Glucosamine Chondroitin specifically works on cartilage. Turmeric reduces inflammation. There are lots of other things which you can try to reduce inflammation - green lipped mussel powder, honey with bee venom (still haven't tried that one!), devils claw - my memory fails me but there are lots. However Glucosamine Chondroitin is the only one that I have ever have staggering results with.

Seraquin is, I believe, one of the more expensive products on the market. I would suggest shopping around on the internet - you probably will not be able to get a product with turmeric, although some do, but personally I found that its the glucosamine chondroitin that works - and you will probably get something else "thrown in" like MSM or Glutamic Acid or "nutricines", whatever those are.

Unlike drugs like Rimadyl and Metacam, there are a LOT less side effects from Glucosamine products. Its pretty safe, so you have nothing to loose (especially if it means you spend less on the expensive drugs at the vets!).

Hope that helps!
  • walwin
    walwin Posts: 8,713
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    CHARLIE wrote: »
    Hi
    As any body got an alternative to Seraquin As my dog charlie is already on Metacam and I noticed one of the posters uses cod liver oil as an altenative I will try that. Only my prescriptions are costing £70. per month. Many thanks for any Ideas. He has arthritis.
    confused-smiley-013.gif

Our dog has arthritis and our vet prescribed Metacam initially and then suggested we tried her on daily C2 Collaplex which is Glucosamine Sulphate, Condroitin Sulphate, Vitamin C, Manganese, Purified Type 2 Collagen.
    She's doing great on these and we've got the Metacam to fall back on if needs be.
    I was buying the Collaplex from the vet initially but now buy them from www.naturalpetcare.co.uk as they're a lot cheaper. Dosage is 1 capsule daily for each 15kgs weight. I pay 22.95 for 60 capsules incl. p & p
  • Don't do away with the metacam.
    Ask your vet for a written prescription for Meloxidyl (it's exactly the same active ingredient). They may charge a small, reasonable fee for this. Then order your medication through one of the many internet veterinary pharmacy sites - meloxidyl is cheapest at petmeds.co.uk.
    They need to have the prescription before posting but this site will accept a scanned copy via email.

100mls of meloxidyl is about £17 and lasts my 23kg dog about 2mths.

It also worth starting the dog on one of the many neutraceuticals as thye will help minimise deterioration of the joint but the metacam / meloxidyl is essential to stop the pain and inflammation associated with the condition.
  • susi
    susi Posts: 717 Forumite
    my dog is on Cosequin, I get my friend in the US to order it online for me and then ship it over, it saves me a fortune doing it this way, I think I manage to get 800 capsules for the same price I would pay for 240 here
  • First check how much of the ingredients you need from your vet or search the web using seraquin doseage, find the cheapest product. I ordered from Agestop Superflex 3 The more you order the cheaper the unit price becomes, so ask around your friends and family to see if you can bulk order and save more and remember its good for humans and dogs. If anyone can find cheaper then please holler. When searching make sure you are getting Glucosamine, Chondroitin Sulphate and not some inferior product
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    No help to the OP as this is an ancient thread but cod liver oil is no use for joint care, it is fish body oils that contain useful amounts of omega-3 essential fatty acids. Cod liver oil contains fairly large amounts of fat soluble vitamins that may be toxic in excess.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Zara used to be on Seraquin but I never got it via the vets - it can be bought on the net for 1/3 of the price of getting it from a vet....

Just a though....
  • yumove contains chondroitin, glucosamine and green lipped mussel extract, but it's £49.95 for 300 tablets. I don't know how that compares - is it cheap?
    http://www.lintbells.com/product/index/id/6
    I got a free sample about a year ago, to give to a couple of very elderly male rats who were struggling to get around (they got half a tablet each once a week). I noticed a dramatic improvement, but I couldn't say which of the ingredients was responsible.
    :coffee:Coffee +3 Dexterity +3 Willpower -1 Ability to Sleep

Playing too many computer games may be bad for your attention span but it Critical Hit!
  • I use seraquin for my Saint Bernard. He has two tablets a day (2mg ea) and I get a box of 60 (1 month) for £16 and free delivery through petdrugsonline.co.uk and you don't need a prescription for seraquin so you can bypass the vet for this completely!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure