Tiny budget for next 2 wks - HELP!

Well, I was on the boards at the end of last week, knowing that I hadn't done a meal plan for the last 3-4 weeks and that I have 'splurged' on a few items, as well as pay some upfront one-off costs, but generally thought I was OK.

Oh dear, how wrong one can be :(

I now have £20 to see me through til the end of the month, before I have to dip into the dreaded emergency fund/overdraft/savings account :(

Can you offer me any tips to stave off the inevitable/eek as much as poss out of the £20?

I was planning to use the storecupboard challenge as much as possible
I have written up a meal plan
I only really need to buy food, extras i.e birthday cards, stamps out of this money.

I'm sure you'll have loads of ideas to get me back on track.
aless02 wrote: »
r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p

Comments

• Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    r.mac - you say you've now written up a menu plan - have you written it up based on what you already have in the freezer and pantry?

When is the "end" of your month? (mine's 24th ;) )

How many cards/stamps do you need? Is it at all possible to send an email b/day card instead? Could you make the card from things you have around and then send 2nd class post?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    thanks Queenie. I have written up my menu from what's in the freezer. Tonight is frozen chilli with rice. I have enough to cover about 7 whole meals but will need to buy some veg and some extras to make other things stretch i.e. things to make pasta sauce for dried pasta. fresh veg to go with meat in freezer and so on.

Your post made me think - I have some cards in a drawer somewhere, which I will dig out. :)

Also, have a bottle of wine in cupboard which will do for our girls get together later in the week (can't bring myself to cancel as it's taken 6 weeks to set this up!) :)

I am not usually so foggy about this, I have just panicked. I usually make a point of knowing exactly how much money I have, but this month has just run away from me rather too much. :eek: I have to admit that I feel a little sad, as otherwise I had been doing really well keeping to budget. :(

I think I had beeter sit down with all the figures again tonight just to double check EXACTLY where I went wrong. Sorry to moan !

Oh, and the end of my month will be 31 technically, but pay might be through on 27th. *fingers crossed*
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    10 days :think: you have 7 days worth already :think:

Do you have a farm shop you can get your veggies from? Or maybe it would be cheaper to buy a couple of bags of frozen veg and stretch those?

Really cheap pasta sauce could be as simply as making a white sauce, adding some chopped cold meat (any ham? Bit of fish perhaps?) seasoning with some herbs and pouring that over your pasta. Or blitzing a tin of tomatoes, adding some herbs (dried are fine), if it needs thickening, use cornflour.

Enjoy your get together with the girls :D We all need a giggle - most especially when things are tight!

I've got to go now, but I'll post again when I've had a better thunk :D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    R mac

Check everything that is in freeezer,fridge and cupboards - you may be able to use stuff you already have - even frozen or tinned veg rather than buying stuff.

You may already have birthday card in drawer that you could use and instead of buying pressie - make gift voucher of your time for shopping , manicure , diy etc.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Caz2_2
    Caz2_2 Posts: 199 Forumite
    Hi rmac
    Is there a fruit and veg market near you if so go at the end of the day especially a saturday if you can, same with supermarkets go just before closing and get reduced stuff but absolutley only what you really need, apart from that see how much of the £20 you can save you might be surprised. Good luck
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Do you have a printer? You could get some cheap white card from somewhere like the Works and make some birthday cards instead, basic envelopes can be made easily from some ordinary white paper.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    For the birthday cards why not make your own. By cutting up other cards/post cards and sticking them on a a new piece of white/cream card.

just take a few mins to make.

There a few websites that allow you to make and print your own cards out if you already have the card..

Like here

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I know this won't help you over the next two weeks but you say you havn't done a meal plan for a few weeks. I can understand why - they are a real faddle. Nations have gone to war on less planning than a family meal plan can take.
    So I don't fall off the waggon, say what the heck and reach for the smiley faces. I bit the bullet, settled down with a glass of Blue Nun and did a three week plan. Main courses, puddings, snacks, breakfasts and lunches. It was a lot of work but now it is done I just let it revolve and don't have the carfuffle of having to get into the meal plan mind set each week. I'm planning to take a couple of meals out and slot a couple of new ones in every 4 weeks or so to ring the changes.
    Another tip to save time is to write on each weeks plan a 'starter shopping list' this lists all the imgredients down to the mixed herbs and dash of lemon juice. You can then whip through ya cupboards and check off keeping only the items you have used up on the list. HTH
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    MATH, that really is a great idea. One I really should have done by now.

I will join you in your glass of Blue Nun - or at least a glass of something and set to this evening. I plan to plan this evening!!!! :)

At least there is only me to be concerned about! I don;t think I could handle planning meals for little mac's or a Mr mac as well :eek:

Thanks - I feel a bit more optomistic about it all now.
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We all know how you feel - I have to cook for 5 (6 if FIL visits) and some weeks I just couldn't be bothered. You know you should and you cash drains away if you don't but it all gets too much. Since I've done my 'round robin' as I call it things have been so much easier. I hope it works as well for you as it has for me:D
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure