Rubber Chicken

Comments

• chicken skabetti is my husbands fave! He knows I'm after something when I make it. I guess we could have roast, sandwhiches and spaghetti out of one! Maybe it'd stretch.... Iguess we're just too used to eating plenty!
  • Juicy_Tube
    Juicy_Tube Posts: 619 Forumite
    Hi there,
    Can you tell me how to make chicken soup? i.e using carcass etc and rest...
    JT x
    It's great in here! :)
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Put the carcass in a big saucepan, or slow cooker if you have one, with a bayleaf, onion and carrot, although you can leave these out if you want. Simmering this for several hours (lowest heat you can do) will make stock.To make chicken soup I would save a few bits of meat, make the stock - strain it to get the bones etc out, then add the meat pieces, salt, pepper, dash of lemon juice, and depending on how decadent you feel some cream or just some milk. A blob of sherry is good, and its better cooked with than drinking IMHO!
    You can thicken soup by adding mashed potato, stale bread or rice. It will not be like anything you get out of a tin, but a lot nicer. In time you will make your own soup without recipes and if you are like me it will never be the same twice, just use what you have around. Herbs which go well with chicken are tarragon, chives or parsley.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I throw throw the carcas in the pot with potato peelings from the roast spuds, onions, carrotts, brocolli stalk, whatever other veg/veg peelings are on hand with bayleaf, mixed dried herbs & a pinch of dried garlic with approx 4 pints of water (or ideally water from any previously boiled veggies) then allow to simmer for about 4 hours. Allow to cool, skim off any fat (there should hardly be any), I then go fishing for the bones! If I'm feeling decedant I'll throw in a slug of white wine or milk/cream then sling in blender.
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • HOLsale
    HOLsale Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Lillibet wrote:
    I throw throw the carcas in the pot with potato peelings from the roast spuds, onions, carrotts, brocolli stalk, whatever other veg/veg peelings are on hand with bayleaf, mixed dried herbs & a pinch of dried garlic with approx 4 pints of water (or ideally water from any previously boiled veggies) then allow to simmer for about 4 hours. Allow to cool, skim off any fat (there should hardly be any), I then go fishing for the bones! If I'm feeling decedant I'll throw in a slug of white wine or milk/cream then sling in blender.

i do the same lillibet! after the solids have been seperated from the stock i let them cool down then pick off any remaining meat add this to the stock and then add whatever else i want to be in the soup and then back in the slow cooker for a few hours. very nutricious and free stock!

i also save bits of beer left in the bottoms of cans or leftover wine to add to soups, really adds some depth to them, mmmmmm.

if you can get lamb bones (shoulder bones are good) from your butcher i highly recommend them for soup. you may not get much meat off them but they make a gorgeous stock
    founder of Frugal Genius UK (Yahoo Groups)
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I've always managed to stretch an average chicken to last three meals but I always seem to cook the same three meal, I boil the chicken as the meat falls off the bone and you can get more off and after 20 years of roast chicken every Sunday I cannot face ever eating roast chicken again.

So I cook, chicken curry on the first day, Chicken and mushroom pasta on the second day and chicken risotto on the third day. I'm getting bored with it so the rest of the family must be bored too.

I've got plenty of things in the store cupboard to add to it, including lemon grass and galangal plus all the usual indian spices and a few more unusual ones. I have onions, peppers, mushrooms, tinned chopped tomatoes by the ton, a few cans of chickpeas, pasta and potatoes.

Any ideas for something different? I love to cook but seem to have fallen into a rut.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • lipidicman
    lipidicman Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    You boil a whole chicken? I have never though of doing that! Do you then separate the meat and refrigerate and add it to the three meals?

I love cooked chilled chicken with couscous and steamed green beans or baby corn - simple I know but if you spice the couscous it is lovely and very nice with homemade garlic bread and salad
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    How about doing chicken and mushrooms in a sauce (possibly mushroom soup) but not too runny. Add some kind of veg such as green beans and put in an oven dish. Top with mashed potato and put in the oven to brown.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Have a look on the recipe board for Chicken in Red Pepper & Chilli Sauce. I made it last night and it was lovely!

I've also got a ton of chicken in the fridge to use in various dishes this week too ... probably enough for 4-5 meals just from the brown meat (froze the breasts) and I know I'll do risotto and probably a creamy chicken pie, but any other ideas will be good :)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• crazyhazy
    crazyhazy Posts: 316 Forumite
    I done a whole chicken in the slow cooker yesterday and had chicken and pasta with tomato sauce last night, also made a curry to freeze and am planning chicken and noodle soup and sweet & sour chicken with what's left.

Other chicken suggestions of mine would be;

chicken faijitas
    chicken wraps
    sweet chilli chicken panninis & salad
    weekend chicken with spirit (would need to get this recipe off my mum, but it is lovely!)
    chicken pie
    chicken pasta bake, either tomatoey or creamy
    chicken supreme (make sauce with campbells soup and serve with rice)
    chicken & veg soup
    chicken stir fry
    chicken paella

If I think of anymore ideas, I'll post them!
    Total Debt (27th Nov 08) £16,707.03 Now £5,102.72
    Debt Free Date [strike]Nov 2012[/strike] August 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family