spend way too much on food and rubbish at cooking

hiya

i visit this board every day for ideas for meals but always leave feeling completely pants at cooking and having new ideas on food!
i was brought up on "basic" meals of shepherds pie sunday dinner and sausage and mash, with not a lot of variation. my OH is the pickiest eater ever (i started a huge thread a while ago on him not eating ANY veg at all) and wont have 'lumpy' food (by this he means onions in a curry, or anything really added to food )i blend things down like tinned toms to put in spag bol and curry cos he wont eat the lumpy tomatoes.............

it has got to the point where i have gone back to frozen food and minimal cooking..pizza, frozen chips, etc. altho we only eat fresh meat from farm shop no turkey twizzler type things!

im pregnant and just feel i wanna be eating healthy. i do eat okay but its such a pain making two meals that sometimes i just give in and eat what he eats.

he is getting better at trying things and this isnt a slag off the OH thread its more im fed up with cooking same old stuff and i feel im a rubbish cook, i can do some dishes and tend to stick to what i know..
eg roast dinners, pesto pasta, spag bol, curries, fajitas, pasta and sauce, nothing very "wow"!!

our shopping billls are getting to be in excess of £50 a week for two ppl.and thats no beer!

help!

Comments

• elona
    elona Posts: 11,806
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    How about lasagne, chilli and egg fried rice?

Home made Pizza?

Are you looking for ideas or recipes or cost cutting tips?

Just about everything is on here somewhere.

We would all be glad to help.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • elisebutt65
    elisebutt65 Posts: 3,854
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Sorry but if I was preggers and OH was kicking offabout food I'd throw a hormone fit and throw the food back at him and tell him where to stick his spoilt behaviour. you're haveing a kid soon - Do you really want a grown up one whingeing at you as well???

Make him do his own food out of the existing food budget. £50 a week is silly fir just 2 of you!! I spend less than that on me and the 2 boys!

Seriously though, you need to keep up your fresh fruit and veg when your pregnant esp if you can't afford expensive supplements. Cook a main course that you want and he can just have chips??? If he moans then tell him there's plenty of what you've got if he can force it down. I have no tolerance for faddiness in grown ups - it's just childish and attention seeking unless there is a real allergy going on!!

I had this with both ex-H's - probably why they are now ex's - lol. If I did a curry, then it'd be too hot - so I'd give them yoghourt - "Don't like yoghourt" BAH!!! Starve then you ungrateful !!!!!!!!!
    Noli nothis permittere te terere
    Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
    [STRIKE]Student MoneySaving Club member 026![/STRIKE] Teacher now and still Moneysaving:D

• jazzyjustlaw
    jazzyjustlaw Posts: 1,378 Forumite
    emma_b wrote:
    hiya

i visit this board every day for ideas for meals but always leave feeling completely pants at cooking and having new ideas on food!
    i was brought up on "basic" meals of shepherds pie sunday dinner and sausage and mash, with not a lot of variation. my OH is the pickiest eater ever (i started a huge thread a while ago on him not eating ANY veg at all) and wont have 'lumpy' food (by this he means onions in a curry, or anything really added to food )i blend things down like tinned toms to put in spag bol and curry cos he wont eat the lumpy tomatoes.............

it has got to the point where i have gone back to frozen food and minimal cooking..pizza, frozen chips, etc. altho we only eat fresh meat from farm shop no turkey twizzler type things!

im pregnant and just feel i wanna be eating healthy. i do eat okay but its such a pain making two meals that sometimes i just give in and eat what he eats.

he is getting better at trying things and this isnt a slag off the OH thread its more im fed up with cooking same old stuff and i feel im a rubbish cook, i can do some dishes and tend to stick to what i know..
    eg roast dinners, pesto pasta, spag bol, curries, fajitas, pasta and sauce, nothing very "wow"!!

our shopping billls are getting to be in excess of £50 a week for two ppl.and thats no beer!

help!

OHG! I thought you were talking about a child not you OH!!
    All my views are just that and do not constitute legal advice in any way, shape or form.£2.00 savers club - £20.00 saved and banked (got a £2.00 pig and not counted the rest)Joined Store Cupboard Challenge]
  • You could cook what you wanted and put his portion in the blender.
    'You can't change the past, you can only change the future' Gary Boulet.

'Show me the person who never makes a mistake and I'll show you the person who never makes anything'. Anon
  • nuttyrockeress
    nuttyrockeress Posts: 1,256
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Have you tried making a sauce with the veg dishes - i.e Cauli cheese, broccoli and leek cheese?

I wouldn;t touch veg up to around 2 years ago (i'm now nearly 28) but now I can eat most (except carrots (unless mixed in like stew etc.) and brussels) if I make sure I have it with gravy and mint sauce - odd I know but if it gets me eating veg then who cares! Plus I can make my own mint from the herbs in the garden!
    It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
  • Hi emma_b

i can do some dishes and tend to stick to what i know..
    eg roast dinners, pesto pasta, spag bol, curries, fajitas, pasta and sauce, nothing very "wow"!! [/QUOTE]

These meals sound delish and fine to me! You just need to make sure that YOU are getting the nutrients and vitamins you need being pregnant. Maybe just add extra veg on your plate if you know he wont eat it, as it will be a waste of money/time otherwise and TBH, he doesnt sound like he will change so why bother:confused: You and baby are priority here not OH.

Can he cook at all? Maybe treat him as you would a child and involve him more with the actual cooking and let him do some, but suggest that with you being pregnant it will be better for baby to eat more of this or that IYSWIM....kind of like reverse pschology.

He does need to set a better example for when the little one comes along, but if he's stubborn this may not be possible.

Good luck hun and hugs.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Hi,Emma,
    I think the meals you're curently cooking sound pretty interesting and varied already.You're eating good quality meat and nice simple balanced meals.

I think if I were you I'd turn your OH's fussiness into a plus - it will be good training for when you cook for your baby! Seriously,you can hide lots of veg in a pasta sauce - tomatoes,celery,carrots,peppers,onions,mushrooms,courgettes-cook long and slow then blitz in the food processor.You can use it on pizza too,or in lasagne.If you leave salt out it will be excellent for a baby(about 8 months on from memory).Add salt and spices for adults later.

Remember there's nothing wrong with simple grilled meat and fish with salad or veg and a baked spud.I think we get brainwashed into thinking we have to 'create' a culinary masterpiece every mealtime.HTH :)
  • emma_b_4
    emma_b_4 Posts: 1,292 Forumite
    ha

thanks
    maybe cost cuttig ideas? cheap easy meals that will build up my confidence?!
    hes not that bad really or maybe i just used to it! i just dont wanna get stuck in the same old food rut! my shopping spend is getting bigger and bigger and i dont really know whay as the weekly wine has now stopped!

i shop at tesco or asda, have tried lidl but end up having to top it up with a tesco shop and spend just as much.
    i have thought about looking in recipe books, agreeing to meals to try and then shopping for the ingredients, but going for similar dishes so i dont spend too much?

we both love pasta and i do my own sauce with toms and peppers and onions and garlic, then blend it !
    we have recently tried tuna steaks with a bit of ginger and loved them

im trying to eat fruit and veg lots but getting stalled as to what to do with it! esp fruit really, i do eat veg as a side to meals and stir frys etc, but fruit, hmm i dont eat much of that at all (cept frozen rasps with ice cream..but guess the ice cream isnt to good...)
  • emma_b_4
    thriftlady, i think you are right, thanks.

maybe its my hormones making mr feel inadequate!
  • emma_b_4
    me not mr, sorry!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills