What can i feed the fussiest eater in the world?

Comments

• Shez
    Shez Posts: 2,180 Forumite
    I remember seeing it mentioned somewhere that there is a fussy eaters thread on here, trying to get my two little ones to eat different things, but cant find it, can someone please help point me in the right direction?

thanks so much
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    There are several threads listed under "Fussy eaters" in the Cooking section of the MEGA Index sticky.

Here ya go :)

Fussy Eaters:
    [post=624623] - easy meat recipes to beef up underweight teen[/post]
    [post=551126] - Hiding vegetables[/post]
    [post=533643] - Meal ideas for picky kids[/post]
    [post=70695] - What can I feed the fussiest eater in the world?[/post]
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Shez
    Shez Posts: 2,180 Forumite
    thanks very much, I obviously didnt see it for looking!!!
  • milliejon
    milliejon Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    I'm trying to re-organise the way we shop and eat. For the past two days, I've not fed my family convenience food, and I've bought and chopped, shredded, boiled and otherwise cooked proper food!

However, my hubby and daughter seem averse to eating real food. Neither of them like cooked carrots or pepper (however lightly they're done!)

I've just been told that bulgar wheat is horrible! My hubby is yet to try it, but I know what his reaction will be when he sees tea without even trying it.

After doing all this cooking I then have to go and make ham sandwiches for the little one to eat.

It makes me feel like cooking sausages and chips every day until they get sick of them! :rolleyes:

I'm sure my cooking is fine - nothing to write home about I'm sure, but edible!

Has anyone else had similar problems!
    DMP mutual support number 174
    Total debt now (April 10) £0! - total paid off £30,221 or 100%
    I'm now debt free after 6 years!!:j
    Non smoker since June 2006 :j
  • troll35
    troll35 Posts: 712 Forumite
    You don't say what they will eat (besides sausage and chips)

Make a list of foods they like and then make gradual changes.

eg. chicken nuggets - get fresh chicken breast. Cut it into appropriate sized pieces. Dip into beaten egg and coat with breadcrumbs the cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 180C. I also steam pieces of plain chicken breast and call them 'naked nuggets'.

Sausages - chose ones with a high meat and lower fat content. (Morrisons do several varieties with over 80% meat and approx 10% fat rather than the usual 20%+ fat.).

If they eat pasta sauces then these are a great way of hiding vegetables if you have a blender. It's surprising how green pepper, mushrooms, onions and courgettes become invisible once blended with tomato.

Vegetables - what's wrong with raw? It's no big deal to leave some of the veg uncooked if that's how it's preferred. It has more nutrients etc.

Chips - make your own oven chips. I make potato wedges by part cooking whole potatoes in the microwave. Cut them into wedges and squirt on a bit of frylight. Cook for 20 mins at 180C.

Above all do it gradually as you have to wean them off all the additives that are overused to make processed food taste better.
    I like to live in cloud cuckoo land :hello:
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    You might like to look here.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=7120&highlight=fussy+eaters

Hope that helps.

I am of the school like it or lump it:rotfl:

I am slightly fussy but I eat a lot more than brother. Good job he does not live at home any more :rotfl:

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • henhog
    henhog Posts: 2,786 Forumite
    I agree with Troll35 - introduce old style cooking in a slow, subtle way - to move from sausage and chips to bulgar wheat is maybe a step to far! :D I would start making some of the things they like that are usually shop bought - home made chips even! Give it time - they will get used to it - mine did eventually and now they don't expect shop bought lasange etc.

Also, until they are eating your cooking, i would really keep it simple and not spend too much time preparing it. I remember reading in a book on baby weaning that it wasn't worth spending hours preparing an over the top meal for a toddler because you might only get angry when they don't eat it. I suppose the same applies when converting husbands and teenagers to good old home cooking! :rotfl:

Good luck, and keep up the good work.
  • milliejon
    milliejon Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    henhog wrote:
    introduce old style cooking in a slow, subtle way - to move from sausage and chips to bulgar wheat is maybe a step to far! :D
    That's so funny!

Thank you for the replies. I hadn't thought about blending the veggies.

I had a huge surprise - hubby loved the bulgar wheat and even went back for more!;)

I'm not so worried about my daughter - she doesn't eat very much food anyway. She grazes for most of the day - on fruit, raisins, cereal. As long as she's eating something I don't mind. Other than this, she loves bread and butter, fish fingers, baked beans - all sorts of junk etc. I guess if she's hungry - she'll eat.

Unfortunately (for my pocket) she loves meat.

Thanks again for the advice. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.
    DMP mutual support number 174
    Total debt now (April 10) £0! - total paid off £30,221 or 100%
    I'm now debt free after 6 years!!:j
    Non smoker since June 2006 :j
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you make a sandwich when the meal is refused you are letting your children be fussy. If they are hungry they will eat or at least try the food. perhaps if they see there is no alternative then they will be more likely to try whats on offer.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • troll35
    troll35 Posts: 712 Forumite
    You could do your own version of fish fingers. I've done them in the same way as nuggets. Chop into chunks and then coat in egg and breadcrumbs and oven bake for 20 mins. It's hard to get authentic looking fingers of fish because of the shape of a fish fillet (thick at one end, thin at the other and tapering to the sides) so fish nuggets are easier.
    By the way I often use coley instead of cod or haddock. It's not as white (more greyish). I don't find there's much difference in taste but a huge difference in price.

I would also try and curb DD's grazing as it probably affects her appetite for proper meals. You haven't said how old she is so I'm assuming she's at home (under 5?). I personally try to ensure that the children I look after have had breakfast (7.45am ish), light morning snack of some fruit (10am), lunch 12 to 12.30 ish) afternoon snack of fruit + toast etc at 3.30pm (after school), then they go home and have their evening meal around 6ish. It sounds a bit regimented but it isn't really. Children like to have a routine and it gets them out of the habit of saying 'can I have? can I have?'
    I like to live in cloud cuckoo land :hello:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport