Starters

I'm stuck for ideas for a starter to serve on Sunday. I always end up doing soup but wanted to try something different this time. There aren't many ideas in the cookbooks that I've got and the recipes that I fancy trying all require the purchase of expensive ingredients.

What do you serve when you're doing a formal dinner? Any ideas that I could steal?

Comments

• hot.chick
    hot.chick Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    maybe u could let us know what U've got in and we can start from there?
  • wendyjb
    wendyjb Posts: 66 Forumite
    One of our quick favourites is tomatoes on ciabatta.

Take the skin off a couple of tomatoes. Chop into small chunks. Pop in a bowl with torn basil (coriander will work fine too). Drizzle of olive oil, black pepper. We also add a splash of balsamic vinegar, but this is optional. Mix and leave to marinade for a short time.

Take a french stick, slice thinly, rub with a clove of garlic, drizzle with olive oil and grill lightly.

Pile the tomatoes on top of the bread. Do this just before serving. Pile them all onto a large plate and let everyone tuck in.

The tomatoes will keep for a few days, and it makes a great alternative to traditional salad.

This recipe is so fresh and light. It always reminds us of summer and summer holidays.

This is a Delia recipe BTW, not claiming the credit.
    £2 Money Savers Club = £18 :T
    Car loan 1 = Paid off :dance:
    Car loan 2 = £2400 :(
    CC - Paid off :dance:
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    large filled mushrooms are easy and dont have to be expensive - whatever cheese you have,some ham / bacon / pancetta ,breadcrumbs,herbs etc
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Check out the Old Style Recipe Collection - there are some starters there. :)

You can find these via my signature any time you see it or...

..you can use the Indexed Collections link in the Blue Bar at the top of every page which looks something like this:-

pagetop.gif
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Izzy.
    Izzy. Posts: 144 Forumite
    A cheap easy starter that I make is mushrooms sauteed in butter served with a little salad and a garlic mayonaise.
  • mr_fishbulb
    mr_fishbulb Posts: 5,224
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I want to do a desert for sunday. Anyone got any ideas?

I'm thinking of something with berries in. Like blakberries, blueberries, raspberries.
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,718
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Or how about a typical Italian starter:

Sliced canteloupe melon and parma ham or, more cheaply, this:

cut a beef tomato in two neat halves, scoop the flesh out and mix it with tuna chunks then put it back in. garnish with mayo on top and an olive (optional).

These are fresh, light and healthy appetisers which take hardly any time to prepare.

:)
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • I want to do a desert for sunday. Anyone got any ideas?

I'm thinking of something with berries in. Like blakberries, blueberries, raspberries.

Raspberry Mess

Make/buy some merrangues, crush, add the raspberries mix up, add some whipped cream, garnish with chopped nuts.
    February Grocery Challenge £250.00

Spend so far £230!! (Ohhh my days HELP) still got almost 2 weeks left!!
  • nabowla wrote:
    I'm stuck for ideas for a starter to serve on Sunday. I always end up doing soup but wanted to try something different this time. There aren't many ideas in the cookbooks that I've got and the recipes that I fancy trying all require the purchase of expensive ingredients.

What do you serve when you're doing a formal dinner? Any ideas that I could steal?

Prawn cocktail, can be madce prior to your guests arriving, pate with toast.
    February Grocery Challenge £250.00

Spend so far £230!! (Ohhh my days HELP) still got almost 2 weeks left!!
  • Izzy.
    Izzy. Posts: 144 Forumite
    Another Italian one is tricolore. Arange ripe tomato, sliced brie and sliced avocado on a plate. Tear some basil leaves and scatter over the top. Drizzle with basil oil (made by whizzing some basil leaves, salt, black pepper and extra virgin oil in a blender)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure