what can I make

I hope this is in the right forum. Mods please feel free to move it if its not.

I haven't got much shopping in because tomorrow is my shopping day. I have-
650g mince steak
half a cabbage
two carrots
onions
tomatoes
potatoes
cheese
four slices of back bacon

Does anyone have any ideas of something tasty I could make for tea?

Comments

• Wendrie
    Wendrie Posts: 135 Forumite
    cottage pie - chop onions fry, chop bacon fry until almost cooked, add mince and brown it as well. Cook potatoes whilst that is simmering away. Chop/dice tomatoes and add to mince, put all of it in a dish. Mash the potatoes and put them on top, grate over the cheese. Put in an oven for 40 mins (ish) to cook, while that is in the oven, peel and slice carrots, put in a dish with butter and a few herbs, cover and put in the oven for about 30 mins. About ten minutes before they are both cooked (a few extra minutes won't hurt just turn the oven off) slice the cabbage and steam add a bit off butter and lemon juice if you have it.

Or do the above mince/veg mixture and roll it in cabbage leaves. Serve with mash.

Or make a cabbage roll soup by making the mince mixture and adding the diced carrots and sliced cabbage leaves and cooking in a vegetable broth. You could steam the potatoes and add them to the soup to make it more substantial - or mash 'em and bake potato bread rolls.
  • Izzy.
    Izzy. Posts: 144 Forumite
    Thanks wendie. Those are super ideas. All I could think of was putting the mince potatoes and carrots all into one pot and making a sort of stew.
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Stuffed cabbage immediately springs out at me from that list, or save the mince for another day and use the cabbage, onions, potatoes and bacon to make a layered hotpot. I think thriftlady posted a recipe for something like this recently :)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• ladygrey_2
    ladygrey_2 Posts: 374 Forumite
    the cheese could be melted over the cabbage rolls at the end
  • Izzy.
    I'm going to do the cottage pie and try carrots in the oven for the first time. The stuffed cabbage leaves sound scrumptious so I will get more cabbage and mince tomorrow and try them too. Thanks everybody for your help.
  • Izzy.
    Wendrie I made the cottage pie using your recipe and it was delicious. Thanks again.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If you want to do something a bit different make some home made pancakes and fill them with the mince mixture - add a little grated cheese as well.

You can roll up the pancakes like a sausage or just fold them over.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    No make burgers! Bit of bacon on the top, bit of cheese- Make a coleslaw with the carrots and cabbage- side salad with the rest!

Do some quick potato wedges with them. You might have to pick up some cheapie rolls but otherwise fit for a king!
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills