Healthy snacks for kids

My children have (very laudably) given up chocolate biscuits for Lent. The trouble is, they come home from school and they're STARVING, particularly my 13-year-old son, who at the best of times eats like a locust who's been locked away from food for several months.
Years ago, after watching an episode of Blue's Clues (and I wasn't working then either) they did this thing about Healthy Snacks (kids can still sing the tune) and I used to put out plates of fruit, cheese cubes, breadsticks etc. The thing is, I can't remember what I used to put out. I need ideas for things which are as instant as Kitkats (which is what they've given up) and are also healthy. My son is into rugby in a big way and wants to be superfit so now is as good a time as any to get him into really good habits. I don't mind a bit of preparation, but they get home from school the same time I get home from work and they want to eat NOW NOW NOW so it's got to be stuff they can open the larder or fridge and GET. Any good ideas??

Comments

• sandymogs_2
    sandymogs_2 Posts: 116 Forumite
    How about dried fruit or whole meal crisp breads with various toppings such as marmite.
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    NOW NOW NOW so it's got to be stuff they can open the larder or fridge and GET. Any good ideas?

Yep just buy healthy stuff and never shop with kids :D If you don't buy crap food, the kids have nothing to munch on, therefore you will know when kids raid the fridge all they get is good stuff :D

You can't eat what's not in the house
  • ChocClare
    ChocClare Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Thanks Kimberley, but I don't buy crap stuff or shop with the kids ever. They don't have crisps or sweets as snacks - generally have home-made cakes or flapjacks - Kitkats are the only extra thing. I just want ideas for "convenience" foods really! Meals I'm not worried about - that's all fresh and healthy.
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    ChocClare wrote:
    Thanks Kimberley, but I don't buy crap stuff or shop with the kids ever. They don't have crisps or sweets as snacks - generally have home-made cakes or flapjacks - Kitkats are the only extra thing. I just want ideas for "convenience" foods really! Meals I'm not worried about - that's all fresh and healthy.

Ok ok, I was going to say home made Flapjacks but i see you already do them :D

How about mini wraps full with healthy stuff :D
  • cheekymole
    cheekymole Posts: 3,416
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    grapes, celery, carrots sticks etc
    I haven't got one!
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 580 Forumite
    How about making up a couple of dips - one based on plain youghurt or creme fraiche with mint & cucumber, one tomatoey salsa type one with spring onion, chopped peppers & a bit of chilli if they like it. Then leave these in the fridge with some prepared veg or breadsticks for dipping.
    A bowl of fresh fruit salad prepared & left in the fridge & served with fruit yoghurt &, if they like them, a few seeds & nuts.
    Are they keen on cereal? I enjoy a bowl of bran flakes with fruit & yoghurt as a snack.
    You could bake one of the fat free, sugar free cakes on the board, cut into slices, wrap, freeze & leave a slice each ready for after school.
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    maybe not very healthy but how about cheese on toast , or a bowl of cereal. my 2 year old started eating dried apricots and pineapple bits , i got from a health food shop the other day.

how about sandwiches with various fillings , homemade sausage rolls, ( not that cheap to make but very yummy and filling ) , crumpets , pancake's ( the type that comes in a pack and get heated up ), cheese scones or wholemeal scones and jam.homemade cakes , shortbread , quiche there are so many things. my list is prob not very healthy but stuff my daugther loves munching on.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks jcr16,

You have just reminded me about scones. I haven't made them for ages, but I used to make scones in large batches and freeze them almost as soon as they cooled. It meant I could lift individual ones out of the freezer and gave them a quick blast in the oven when someone wanted one.

Guess what I'm going to do tomorrow morning and guess what my children are going to have after school tomorrow. :D

Pink
  • taurusgb
    taurusgb Posts: 909
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    HM popcorn is fast, healthy and cheap!
    People Say that life's the thing - but I prefer reading ;)
    The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell jnto the Thames it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity - Benjamin Disreali
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,163
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    For convenience you could buy Alpen bars, or similar.
    Here I go again on my own....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport