February Seasonal cookery

Hi everyone!
One of the many ways of cutting back on food bill is to buy and cook foods when they're in season. Would it perhaps be viable to have a monthly thread for foods/recipes in season [I have a book which would give some idea of some items plus recipes] Maybe it would need to be linked to the recipe sticky in some way. I just wondered if it would be a useful guide for people to refer back to eg for Feb the pancake filling ideas thread. Realise it may not be workable but just thought I'd pen my thoughts.....!
Aril
Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!

Comments

• Aril,

At BigBarn (www.bigbarn.co.uk) you can look up what produce is in season.

I find that the supermarket freebie magazines (Somerfield, Tesco, Asda etc) tend to have good recipe selections based on seasonal produce.
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks for this Aril it's a great idea.

Veggies that are in season and cheap at the mo:

Sprouts, Parsnips, Swede, Old Potatoes, Carrots (they're always cheap LOL)
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • :T I think this would be an excellent idea.I love cooking and shopping with the seasons.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'll change the title here to read:-

March Seasonal Cookery

Don't forget you'll find some ideas for most things listed under "vegetables" in the Cooking section of the MEGA Index.

:)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Purple Sprouting Broccoli should be available soon.

Kale should still be going strong, too.

Rhubarb

Lamb's Lettuce

Leeks
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Forced Yorkshire rhubarb is in the shops now,but it never is particularly cheap,still as a seasonal treat- lovely.

Purple sprouting is already in my farmshop,yum,but again not particularly cheap.The imported calabrese is much cheaper,it doesn't seem fair.
  • There's a little section in The Dinner lady book by Jeanette Orrey that has this info. Unfortunately it gives the lists seasonally rather than monthly. This means although I know things like sprouts, leeks, parsnips, pears etc are available in Dec/Jan/Feb I don't know which month they're best and cheapest in. I find that my mum knows things like this automatically but I and alot of people my age (35 :shhh: ) have no idea.
    So, I'll keep checking this thread to find out the best things to buy..... :T
    "all endings are also beginnings. We just don't know it at the time..."
  • For more detailed information try Seasonal Food by Paul Waddington and The River Cottage Year by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    And Food For Free by Richard Mabey ISBN 0-00-718303-8 has a section on seasonal freebies.

This month's include chickweed and nettles.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • mummysaver
    mummysaver Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Just had a quick look at the remains of the veggie box: squashes, Jerusalem artichokes, leeks, kale - all in season from https://www.riverford.co.uk

Got a copy of Nigel Slater's book "the kitchen diaries" - in which he tries to use seasonal food, and lists each days meals. Yesterday he "ate" slow roast lamb with chick pea mash, today cold lamb and salad, and tomorrow he's listed braised oxtail with mustard and mash followed by treacle tart. The book has lots of great recipes that "real" people eat, as opposed to the faffed about stuff usually in cook books, and is great for ideas too.

Edit: I'm sure that there was a note in our veg box about purple sprouting broccoli, usually there's been loads in the boxes by now, but apparently the weather has affected it this year, so this is probably why it's quite expensive at the moment.
    GC Oct £387.69/£400, GC Nov £312.58/£400, GC Dec £111.87/£400
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport