What can i feed the fussiest eater in the world?

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Other threads on the subject (copied from the MEGA Index sticky at the top of Old Style) that might help out are linked below:-

Fussy Eaters:
    [post=624623] - easy meat recipes to beef up underweight teen[/post]
    [post=551126] - Hiding vegetables[/post]
    [post=533643] - Meal ideas for picky kids[/post]
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • chardonnay_2
    chardonnay_2 Posts: 2,201
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    well the steak pie went down like a lead balloon. both of them didn't eat much. eldest then saw the wraps we were having enchiladas with (spicy mexican dish) and declared that he liked them. we told them if they let us know what they like their food would be more interesting. we said would they both like the wraps for dinner tomorrow with plates of cheese, chicken, lettuce etc to make their own. eldest yes, youngest no - even though he likes lettuce, cheese, & chicken - i could scream lol even said we could flavour chicken, make it spicy (youngest likes spicy stuff) still no. ends up he says he wants enchiladas. so two diff dinners again.
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,081
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    chardonnay wrote:
    well the steak pie went down like a lead balloon. both of them didn't eat much. eldest then saw the wraps we were having enchiladas with (spicy mexican dish) and declared that he liked them. we told them if they let us know what they like their food would be more interesting. we said would they both like the wraps for dinner tomorrow with plates of cheese, chicken, lettuce etc to make their own. eldest yes, youngest no - even though he likes lettuce, cheese, & chicken - i could scream lol even said we could flavour chicken, make it spicy (youngest likes spicy stuff) still no. ends up he says he wants enchiladas. so two diff dinners again.
    hmm did you say these are your step-kids? I'm tempted to say that it's up to their dad to say that isn't acceptable, tomorrow will be wraps they will be a variety of food items to choose from that you know they both like and they will eat their dinner from that. Easier to say I know on a forum, and hard to put into practise when its personal, but when you know they like the food concerned, it's just awkwardness rather than a genuine dislike of the taste.
    BTW- wraps is what we had for tea. 5 year old and 2 year old loved em:D
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    My husband and my children are the same fussy eaters. The kids dont want to know unless it resembles a burger and fries and my husband will only eat meat/mash. Oh and my son, he wont eat microwaved food, so very often he comes in and it goes straight in the bin.

I lost my rag with my husband earlier as i am dog tired after being up all night with our son who has gastroenteritis and when i asked the hubby what he wanted for tea - he just shrugged so i gave him spam sandwiches - the look on his face was priceless.
  • Lulubells
    Lulubells Posts: 187
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I totally sympathise - my hubby is fussy too - I make him cottage pie (I blend the onion - what they don't know and all that !!), cornish pasties with just meat and potatoe, chicken pie -made with chicken cubed, campbells condensed chicken soup, peas and potatoes cubed witha puff pastry lid. It is difficult - tell you what though we went to a mex restaurant for a friends birthday last week and he had to eat something - he now loves breaded mozzerella sticks and onion rings !! progress - so my tip to you is take him to a non english food restaurant with lots of people and he will have to eat or look silly !!
    Currently on a life sort-out !! ...reducing bills, decluttering and getting into fitness - busy bee ;)
  • beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862
    Forumite
    Lulubells wrote:
    so my tip to you is take him to a non english food restaurant with lots of people and he will have to eat or look silly !!

My hubbie would still not eat! He wouldn't care about looking silly and would rather starve than eat this sort of food!
  • Lulubells
    Lulubells Posts: 187
    Forumite
    mine never used to - used to have a drink or something in the restaurant and then go to burger king afterwards !! they can be so stubborn sometimes !!
    Currently on a life sort-out !! ...reducing bills, decluttering and getting into fitness - busy bee ;)
  • chardonnay_2
    chardonnay_2 Posts: 2,201
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    we made him a milder enchiladas and he ate half of it. his brother then had wraps with chicken and cheese and he decided to try some! he then decided it was brilliant!!!!!!!! little !!!!!! lol

good news they both ate and loved the same curry tonight so we seem to be getting somewhere.
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
  • Jaelor
    Jaelor Posts: 80 Forumite
    Morning All - Will be joining the grocery challenge next month and I am trying to spend £35 a week, and that's for me, hubby and 5 month old son.

Baby doesn't really cost much at the mo as he's predominatly breastfed, and he's starting solids, but I am batch cooking and freezing my own, so apart from nappies. he's good. I'm fine as I don't eat huge amounts and I don't especially like meat so can fill up cheaply on pasta, etc, but hubby is a different matter. He loves his meat, is very fussy about it being fresh and would be highly suspicious of anything that I would have to freeze and thaw. Its the same with his pack lunches - he won't have 'scraggy ham' and always wants Tesco Finest and moans about Tesco Value salad cream, etc.

Can anyone suggest any cheap meat recipes or have any ideas how I can try and keep him (semi) happy but still keep to my budget?

Men!
    Jaelor :hello:

We all make mistakes - that's why they put rubbers on the end of pencils

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    There are some threads in the cooking section of our MEGA Index sticky that are listed below and they are sure to give you some ideas to be browsing through while waiting for more ideas to come along :)

Fussy Eaters:
    [post=624623] - Easy meat recipes to beef up underweight teen[/post]
    [post=551126] - Hiding vegetables[/post]
    [post=533643] - Meal ideas for picky kids[/post]
    [post=70695] - What can I feed the fussiest eater in the world?[/post]
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport