Stuck on meals

What sort of thing do you all eat? I ask this as in our house we seem to live off rice and pasta and its getting boring. OH can only have potatoes twice a week. So I'm really stuck we dont have any bread in as it is too pricy and I haven't fathomed out how to make wheat free and yeast free yet.

We don't buy fresh veg most of it is frozen and we only have very basic food like mince,chicken bacon etc. There is only so many times a week you can have spag bol or chilli ;).

Thank you for help.

MonkeyGirl

Comments

• leni
    leni Posts: 942
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    two recipes that I've discovered over the last week or two are

spaghetti, bacon bits, onions all mixed in with a tablespoon or so of green pesto and it's lovely!

second is mince and onion browned in a saucepan, drain and add pasta twists, 1/2 tin of toms, 1 tin of beans, 1/4 pint beef stock and peppers (optional) bring to the boil then simmer for 10-15 minutes!

their is a list on here somewhere of "budget" recipes, the pesto one above is atken from there and I also did the home made pizza for about £1.40 and it was better than pizza shop, making them again this weekend!

DEBT FREE for the first time in 10 years and with savings!

1st Baby due May 2011 :o it's a BOY:j
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Do you have a slow cooker? we make a lot of our meals with ours, able to make lots of cheap and easy meals that way. heck out the MEGA thread, loads of good recipes there, and there is also a good thread on slow cooker recipes!!!
    Catherine x
  • VickyA_2
    VickyA_2 Posts: 4,533
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    We often have a stir fry - ok, so it's about once a week. Nice and healthy, packed with loads of veg and you can put anything in there that you have spare in the fridge. This week, ours contained chicken, spring onions, mushrooms, red pepper, carrots, broccoli. I served it with egg noodles............

We also have sausages, eggs and beans one night a week. Ooh, and our steamer is ideal for doing salmon and veggies - or just veggies.

As catowen says, use a slow cooker - I think they're still on special offer in Tesco.

Have a look on the Indexed collection at the top of the page for other ideas.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 #15 £1240.40 #16 £1805.87 declared
  • Thanks for your ideas guys. Yes I do have a slow cooker but as last week was the first time I used it I only bought one lot of stewing steak as I wasn't sure how good it was now I know it was ok I'll buy it more often. I think the thing I miss most is I used to make pizza's and pies etc but since having had to change my flour I haven't been able to as can't get it right. I'll keep practising.

Like I said in my first post just wondering what you guys eat each week. Ie how often do you have pasta , rice , potatoes etc.
  • VickyA_2
    VickyA_2 Posts: 4,533
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    We probably have pasta twice a week, same with rice and potatoes with the old egg noodles once a week. It doesn't seem too "samey samey" - especially because we have different "main" courses to complement the meat bit.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 #15 £1240.40 #16 £1805.87 declared
  • SammyD_2
    SammyD_2 Posts: 448 Forumite
    We have rice a couple of times a week (with a curry of some sort or a chilli bean type thing), cous cous once a week (with spicy roasted vegetables - yummmm), potatoes a couple of times either as shepherds pie, or baked to accompany a vegetarian casserole or mashed with veggie sausages and pasta one night a week. Also sometimes we have bread instead of pasta/rice/potatoes - tomorrow we will have falafel with pita bread and salad for example, or sometimes soup and bread.
  • some things we have are

chicken fried rice
    curry
    chilli
    enchiladas (chilli in wraps with enchilada sauce on top with cheese baked in the oven)
    spag bog
    spicy mince in pasta shells (you could also make pasta bake putting cheese on top and cooking in the oven)
    steak with pepper sauce and chips or garlic roasted pots with sauted mushrooms
    sausage casserole with rice / mash
    stir fry with chicken /pork /beef with noodles
    pizza
    nachos or tortilla chips covered with chicken or chilli with onions peppers and melted cheese
    lasagne
    wraps
    duck in pancakes with spring onion and hoi sin sauce
    tacos
    baked spuds with chilli / spag bog
    filled baguettes
    roasts chicken/ beef/ pork

check out the campbells soup site, it has great ideas to use their soups to make unusual & cheap dinners. i think it's great
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
  • Agreed Cambells soup is great - you can use it undiluted to fill pies or quiches (with some ham or chicken mixed in)

Curry - fry an onion with some curry spices, add meat and a tin of tomatoes, with potatoes or carrots plus meat, leave for an hour or so (or do in slow cooker)

Moussaka - fry onion, cook with lamb mince. Cover with fried aubergine slices, then cheese sauce. Wish I could do this but OH doesn't like lamb :(

Risotto - stir fried anything mixed with rice. Always goes down well. Netto are doing some risotto sauces for 29p atm - look nice and I have bought some but not tried them yet.

Oh yes, sissotto - my own recipe! Fry an onion, some sausages cut into little bits and some peppers. Saute gently in the fat with a lid on, then add rice and stir well. Very popular in my house!
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • jobbingmusician, why not make mousaka with beef mince instead. my mil makes a cheats mousaka and it had beef and potatoes instead of aubergines.
  • another cheap meal idea is smoked sausage chopped up and put in pasta with a tomato sauce and any veggies you want to use up. cheap, easy + tasty
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport