Menu to impress needed

Can anyone suggest a main course and pudding that i could serve up to my oh parents tomorrow night. Have already made spicy tomato and lentil soup so need some things to match. She likes anything except fish so anything that you could suggest would be a big help!

Thanks

Comments

• nabowla
    nabowla Posts: 567 Forumite
    I'd suggest that you make the pudding in advance (and as much of the main course as possible) so that you produce a fantastic meal without getting flustered at the last minute. Personally I often serve HM marshmallow pavlova for pudding - it's dead simple to make and incredibly impressive. As for the main course, how something like beef in red wine with new potatoes and veg? You can prepare everything in advance, have the beef quietly cooking when the OH's parents arrive and then turn on the veg at the appropriate time.
  • mains-steak with bearnaise sauce/coq au vin/chicken in peppers and white wine.

puds- chocolate fondant/thai rice pud with roasted pineapple/eton mess

Most of these can be found in delias cook books and all go down a treat!
  • Jet
    Jet Posts: 1,623
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Boeuf bourguignonne is lovely served with boulangere potatoes. Really easy to do and tastes delicious - just sits in the oven happily without much attention. Just do some veg at the last minute.

I've got a recipe for a chocolate truffle cake which is easily made the day before and everyone comments on how lovely it is.

Let me know if you want recipes.
  • wendyf_3
    wendyf_3 Posts: 159 Forumite
    The marshmallow pavlova sounds fab. is there a recipe for it on the recipe board? Am just about to trail through that now
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    One of my fave entertaining recipes is Chicken Basque, it's really easy and it cooks in one pot, doesn't spoil when left longer than expected. Pudding could be creme brulee, I used to have recipe but it's really easy pour creme fraich over amaretto biscuits and fruit, top with brown sugar and either brown under grill till sugar caramelises or if you have a blowtorch use that to do the job.

Alternative sweet Cheese and biscuits with celery and grapes Lovely....Now I am hungry and I might have to eat the Stilton lol

Edited to say:

Don't put yourself under too much pressure with a complicated dish that is stressful to prepare, I am sure your visitors will want you to enjoy their visit:xmassmile
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Jet wrote:
    Boeuf bourguignonne is lovely served with boulangere potatoes. Really easy to do and tastes delicious - just sits in the oven happily without much attention. Just do some veg at the last minute.

I've got a recipe for a chocolate truffle cake which is easily made the day before and everyone comments on how lovely it is.

Let me know if you want recipes.

I want recipes :j

both sound lovely!!!
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• Jet
    Jet Posts: 1,623
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Jay-Jay wrote:
    I want recipes :j

both sound lovely!!!

Just posted recipes on the recipe thread for you. Enjoy.
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jet wrote:
    Just posted recipes on the recipe thread for you. Enjoy.

Thanks.... I'm off to find them icon14.gif

:)

• wendyf_3
    wendyf_3 Posts: 159 Forumite
    Thanks for everyones help tonight was a great success. We had:
    Spicy Tomato and Lentil Soup ( weight watchers and very tasty)
    Beef Bourgonon with roasted baby new potatoes, broccoli and honey glazed carrots
    Caramel Short Cake

The only thing is they will now be back!!!!
  • Jay-Jay_4
    I've got a coq au vin on the hob and ingredients for boeuf bourguignonne and the pepper pasta stuff in the fridge to cook tomorrow and freeze.

Thanks wendy for starting this thread and thanks to the people whose recipes I've pinched :D

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport