Meal Planing for 2 in Rota??!!

Okay.. I still live at home with my mom. I pay rent but buy my own food. As I work evenings and I didn't like her cooking a few years back it was decided I was cook and buy my own food. The bad thing about this is cause I don't finish work til 10pm I eat late or I eat rubbish as I result I've put on weight :( (and it's costing too much)

After joining here I've suggested that we meal plan, cooking on alternate days, so I cook hers at lunch time (when i'll eat mine) and she can reheat it and she'll cook at dinner time and I'll be eatting healthier food when I get home!

So that's the plan, but I haven't got a clue where to start! What's the ideal budget for 2? We've agreed to half the shopping bill and stick to the plan, so she knows what to cook when it's her turn!!

I can't got with what's already in the cupboard as we've got our own separate stuff!! Also maybe if for the first 2 weeks we cook double the amount and freeze it, so it the 2nd week we just have to defrost!

Anypoints please! I'm stuff on Roast, Chicken Curry, Shepards Pie, lasagine and Spag Bowl!!!

Can anyone recommend some good cook books??

Sara
Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 092

::£2 - CSC - Terramundi is filling up!! :: Joined 3/3/06 :: 5/2/07 - 835kg + £280 Banked!!::
::5p,10p & 20p - Savings Tin :: Founded 9/4/06 :: 23/3/07 - 3.2kg ::

Lost to date - 9kg (22/8/06) Next weigh in 2007!!

Comments

• Ainsley Harriot "Low Fat Meals in Minutes" is quite good.

Gotta get ready for work now but will be back this evening with instructions on how to make a nice stew!

have a nice day!
    Highest debt - £24500 :mad:

Current debt - £0 !!!! :)

Debt-free date - 4 AUGUST 2006 :D

Official DFW Nerd No 0073
  • mah_jong
    mah_jong Posts: 1,284
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I would make some big pots of bol, chilli , et and then freeze in single size portions that are then easy for either of you to reheat for your selves. I use a slow cooker on a regular basis. But hob cooking would do.

Cook books..... here !!! Lots of suggestions!!

Just got a 'cooking for one and two' in a charity shop, but I woldn't buy full price for one unless I REALLY needed it! Have delias one is fun cook book too.
    16011996 Posts: 8,313
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    stews, chilli, sausage casserole, thick veg soups, even baked potato's with simple fillings can make a meal and are quick to do. you can make things like mash in advance and freeze in portions to save time also.
  • K9cuddles
    K9cuddles Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    I've sorted an excel template to rota the meals, I bought a receipe book so will get my money worth out of that so now I've just got to sit down and plan it! I hope to make meals for 4 people freeze 2 peoples worth and then that will be used in the 2nd half of the month!

Fingers crossed!
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 092

::£2 - CSC - Terramundi is filling up!! :: Joined 3/3/06 :: 5/2/07 - 835kg + £280 Banked!!::
    ::5p,10p & 20p - Savings Tin :: Founded 9/4/06 :: 23/3/07 - 3.2kg ::

Lost to date - 9kg (22/8/06) Next weigh in 2007!!
  • just chuck vegetables (onions, potatoes and carrots are good, celery too if you like it), in some vegetable stock (cubes are good), enought to cover all the veggies. Fry meat separately and then add it in with the rest. Salt, pepper, garlic, bay leaves and some dried herbs (try sage and thyme). Cook on a low heat for 1-2 hours and add more water or stock if it gets too dry.

Pearl barley is really good for bulking it up and really cheap too.

Serve with bread and lots of ketchup. yum!

good lucK! :)
    Highest debt - £24500 :mad:

Current debt - £0 !!!! :)

Debt-free date - 4 AUGUST 2006 :D

Official DFW Nerd No 0073
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts