Boxing day meal for family gathering - ideas needed

We have some of my husband's family coming for lunch on boxing day, there will be 6 adults and 4 kids.

We're going to my parents Christmas day, so there will be no leftovers to use up etc.

Does anyone have any good ideas for a meal to dish up. We don't have enough room for everyone to sit at table, so it needs to be something that people can eat on their lap fairly easily. Nobody's vegetarian. And don't want to do anything separate for the kids so it can't be anything too fussy.

We did the same thing a couple of years ago and did a party food buffet type thing (supermarket bought canapes etc), so don't really want to do exactly the same thing again. Besides, that worked out really pricey and ideally want to be doing something fairly inexpensive that doesn't look cheap though!!

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Apologies if there is a similar thread elsewhere, I did a fruitless search, but if there is, just point me in the right direction.

:D

Comments

• BoltonMinx
    BoltonMinx Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    This yr Im doing a mexican spread, with chilli con carne, guacamole, fajitas, tortillas etc
    Last yr, my cousin did a large meatloaf, chicken & mushroom pies, sausage rolls, coleslaw, all home made and easy to cut up into portions before the guests arrived.
    "There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

:A ~~~ S
    pread some good Karma ~~~ :A
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    I do the same every Boxing Day for my inlaws - quiches, jacket spuds, salad and coleslaw, cottage cheese etc. I also slice up a tin of good quality ham, and put out a tin of red salmon. It always goes down well, and is so simple and straight-forward.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• A bit late, but this is what I'm doing.. Very easy and about an hour to prepare from beginning to end
    Starter - Serrano ham and Brie Bruschetta

Toast slices of bloomer bread. Top with passata mixed with tomato puree, slices of serrano ham (or parma ham if you can't get it. Aldi is good for this), and a couple of slices of Brie (the cheapest will do). Sprinkle with cayenne or smoked paprika and shove under grill until the Brie melts. You can serve this hot or cold

Main - Posh meat and potato pie/veg

Dice lean rump steak and flash fry to brown with a couple of shallots or onions. Place to one side. Peel some potatoes. I do half a potato per person. Make enough gravy to cover the steak, shallots and potatoes in an oven dish. Throw in some roughly broken garlic cloves (I bash them with my fist) and a bit of thyme. Cover the mixture with some thawed out puff pastry and seal it into the sides of the oven dish. Cook on a medium heat until the puff pastry is browned and puffed up.

Pud - Blueberry trifle
    Chop up a cheap madeira cake (99p for 2 in Morrisons!) and chuck into a bowl. Throw in some alcohol at this stage for entertainment if you like. Put in blueberries, or any other fruit you like. Make a jelly mix and pour into bowl on top of blueberries. Put it into the fridge to set. Pour on ready made custard then some whipped cream. Top with shavings of chocolate if you like (use a potato peeler on a block of chocolate)

Easy-peasy and dead impressive
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport