Christmas Dinner ideas?

Every Christmas we have always had the traditional roast Turkey etc. This year my sister and neice are coming for Christmas and i was wondering about doing something different like a 3 course meal. Any suggestions will be welcome. Also it has to be child friendly :rolleyes: I was thinking of creating 3 different meals from a cook book or from that ready steady cook site but if any of you have other ideas they will be most welcome. :D

Have any of you started planning your dinner? I know it may seem a bit early but it is only 6 weeks away :eek:

Comments

• Bargain_Rzl
    Bargain_Rzl Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    The in-house magazines in the major supermarkets always have loads of interesting "alternative" Christmas dinner ideas. I can vouch for the Tesco one which I picked up the other day - Asda, Somerfield etc should have similar.
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,163
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    We're throwing tradition out the window for a change this year!

We've got a couple of these:
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8611075.htm
    and we're going to cook a massive mixed grill on them, whack them in the middle of the table and let everyone help themselves. Will also do bowls of salads and some HM potato wedges too.

For dessert, I haven't decided yet but it'll probably be something light and fruity like a cheesecake.

For the first time in years, my Dad is looking forward to Christmas dinner :D
    Here I go again on my own....
  • We're having a safari Christmas dinner, each course will probably be quit traditional (soup, turkey & pork, usual puddings) but we'll be trudging through the snow to 3 different houses. I like the traditional turkey dinner I must admit but sometimes without the turkey. (roasties and gravy are my favourite!!) so if there's a choice I would go for ham or pork.
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I don't know how many of you there's going to be for dinner, but how about letting your guests choose their favourite dish for starter & mains, then you choose the pud?

Go Australian & have a BBQ? Swiss & have fondue? You could go international & do a google on traditional christmas food in other countries. I bet there'd be some really interesting ideas.
  • HOLsale
    HOLsale Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Kimberley wrote:

Have any of you started planning your dinner? I know it may seem a bit early but it is only 6 weeks away :eek:

every year we have two festive dinners becaues we celebrate Yule (winter solistic on dec 21) and dh's family celebrates christmas (well, the holiday not the christian aspects)

dh's mum always does a traditional meal so we do something different

last year we had goose because we'd never had it before but in years past we've done pheasant and venisons steaks etc

we're considering quail or pigeon this year if we can find them. we've got a decent farmers market in edinburgh so i'm going to try to get down there as there will probably be places that can put me on where to buy game meat. we may even try ostrich, just depends on what we can get our hands on

for the other food i tend to make the stuff that americans traditionally have at christmas like green bean casserole, waldorf salad, ambrosia, sweet potato casserole, corn bread stuffing etc plus we always have a platter of snacks and a platter of condiments (olives, pickled onions, gherkins etc) and of course cheeses and biscuits.

i like doing something different AND something traditional each year, best of both worlds!
    founder of Frugal Genius UK (Yahoo Groups)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure