Council Tax and second home

Options
I'm looking for some advice, we purchased a home in Nov 13, and it was immediately let out, which was fine as the tenant paid the council tax.

However, in Feb it became empty. We hired a van and moved half of our furniture into it and made it habitable for weekends and leave. We then paid council tax at the full rate and are still paying the full rate. However, after doing a little bit of research I found that if serving personnel have a second home that they use for leave and weekends then they only have to pay 50% council tax on this. As we already pay CILOCT at our married quarter. We have to both live within the married quarter as my Husband works on base and so do I. I have contacted my local council and explained this to them, but they are saying that this does not apply.
Has anyone had any experience of this?

Also in August my Husband will move into the SNCO's mess and I will move into our own house permanently with my Son. This is why I was researching council tax in the first instance as I believe we are entitled to a 25% reduction when he moves into the mess.
Again any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I believe council tax should be paid, as you both live there at weekends and leave.

However, when you occupy it on your own, you will be entitled to 75%.

Any discounts, ie for being OOA etc are paid by the service, and not the local council. When OOA you still need to pay full council tax, then claim it back.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I believe council tax should be paid, as you both live there at weekends and leave.

However, when you occupy it on your own, you will be entitled to 75%.

Any discounts, ie for being OOA etc are paid by the service, and not the local council. When OOA you still need to pay full council tax, then claim it back.
    Is it that clear cut, another similar thread here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5019609
  • jacand
    jacand Posts: 562 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks all I've had a reply back from the Council, who say we are entitled to a 50% reduction. I just have to provide the evidence to show we need to live in married quarters. Simple and I'm due a refund of over £500. Nice one
  • Alias_Omega
    Options
    jacand wrote: »
    Thanks all I've had a reply back from the Council, who say we are entitled to a 50% reduction. I just have to provide the evidence to show we need to live in married quarters. Simple and I'm due a refund of over £500. Nice one

Hi Jacand,

Thats good news.!

I know that if a rental property is empty for more than 6 months, the landlord is responsible for the council tax at a 50% rate if the property is empty. If it is part furnished etc, its a different story. :)
  • Alias_Omega
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    Is it that clear cut, another similar thread here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5019609

I guess really it would depend on the local council, you can only provide them the information and see what they say. Not every council is the same.
  • Mizungo
    Mizungo Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Hello all, I have a question for jacand:

I'm in the same boat, I've had a reply back from the council local to my property informing me that I am eligible for a 50% deduction for council tax rates, providing I can supply them with evidence that I need to live in married quarters. What form of proof did you give them as they are asking for a document that outlines this.

I bought my house whilst I was local to it but then I was moved nearly 200 miles away from my house, too far to commute.
  • Fergie76
    Fergie76 Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unless you are a Senior Officer who has a residence on appointment, is there ever a 'need/requirement' to live in a SFA?

Is it not a lifestyle choice, so that your family remains together or to remain mobile for to be eligible for CEA?
  • Mizungo
    Options
    I'm not sure my OC would allow me to commute the 228 miles from my house to my duty post, do a 12 hour shift and then drive 228 miles back? The forces have moved me to this location for their requirements which means I cannot live in my own home. Surely it is written down somewhere that I'm required to reside close to my place of duty, in this case SFA?
  • Fergie76
    Fergie76 Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So just as I said, it's a lifestyle choice. The forces provide SLA for those that live too far from the chosen residence. You can live in SLA during the week and travel home at weekends, for which the Forces will give you GYT allowance.

There is no need/requirement on the forces part for you to live in a SFA, it is entirely your choice.
  • Mizungo
    Options
    Which takes me back to the original post of how jacand showed proof of needing to live in a married quarter. It certainly wasn't a lifestyle choice to be moved away from my own home.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure