My Saving log

Options

Comments

• minxy01
    Options
    Hi

I'm looking to buy a house for the first time in the next year or two, hopefully with a 50k mortgage on a £180,000 house.

How much on average do you spend on living costs/bills a month minus mortgage payments and lifestyle spends (going out etc). A bit worried about not any money left over at the end of the month after paying mortgage.
  • Sylvia1982
    Sylvia1982 Posts: 193 Forumite
    Options
    Hi minxy01,
    I'm too in the same position as you, saving for my deposit. I think it would be best for you to post a thread on the house buying,renting & selling board. Explaining abit about your financial situation and ask the the cost involve buying a property.

Sorry that I can't help, good luck in saving for your deposit

Sylvia
    Must save to live, not just live to save!!! :think:
    Challenge Save 12k in 2019 #141 £6,143.34/£6k
    Deposit £82,317.88/£120K :jFees/ect £12K/£12K:jEmergency fund £1K/£1K
    :A
    :A'Saving again after parting with a lot of money enjoying life:rotfl::A
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 March 2011 at 10:20AM
    Options
    I will change my target from £15,500 to £12,000, so the £3,500 will be going towards the deposit target.

And there was me trying to save you money! Any reason you've added £3500 on to your deposit target? Will it make a meaningful difference? I ask as I often find myself getting hung up on saving specific figures without actually running the numbers to see what figures I need specifically ;)
    Thank you spikyone for your post. I rather not deal with Santander, even if it means a lost in potential interest. I have good reasons why I don’t wish to deal with them.

I would rather poke myself in the eye than deal with Santander again! They have the worst customer service I have ever had the misfortune to experience and have failed to meet my financial requirements during a stressful separation, have messed up DDs (which could have led to black marks on my credit report) and failed to open ISAs for both my fiancee and I in a manner that was truly awful last year (wrong documents sent out 3-4 times, with a different set of wrong documents received each time!) In fact, the only easy experience with them was closing my branch based account and choosing never to bank with them again! :D
  • Sylvia1982
    Options
    Hello edinburgher,
    And there was me trying to save you money! Any reason you've added £3500 on to your deposit target? Will it make a meaningful difference?

:oThe reason why i have done this, is to keep on my saving targets pcm until Spring 2013(if things goes according to plan).
    I ask as I often find myself getting hung up on saving specific figures without actually running the numbers to see what figures I need specifically ;)

I have spoken already to a mortgage adviser last year, aswell as done some calculations with the mortgage calculator on this website. Just by looking at the difference over 25 years, just makes me wont to save as much as possible and get a better rate too :D

If you don't mind me asking edinburgher, how much is your deposit target?

Sylvia
  • Sylvia1982
    Options
    Oh do I love the end of each month...:D
    Here goes with my savings transfers

Deposit = £1,100 + £208(interest earned) =£1,308
    Grand Total =£28,631:j
    Emergency Fund =£100

Grand total =£2,420

Car Fund = £250 (not yet transfered into account, but will do it before I start work today)

So happy that I have actually made this total towards the deposit this month. Not long before I hit my next goal of £30k.:D
    As it shows, frugal living is the way forward :rotfl:
    I will update my signiture accordingly.

Sylvia
  • Sylvia1982
    Options
    I hope everyone had a lovely weekend,

I have finally decided to open new accounts for my deposit funds to transfer into.:j
    The first one that I have managed to open was the Halifax web saver reward with 2.8%(3%) unlimited withdrawal on Friday(unfortunately, only for 12 months :().

I have finally decided to open the Nationwide e-ISA with 3.1% variable (current ISA apparently 2.9% as 1st issue:)) so I am waiting for Nationwide to send me the letter that the account is open (takes 5 working days to open).

Now, I need to close a few redundant accounts in branch.

The only negative issue that I am having right now, is my lovely FIAT(Fix It Again Tomorrow) PUNTO. I have to speak with my mechanic tomorrow as I believe the clutch is about to go, to scared to drive it right now. I really hate having to use London transport. Its not the fact it takes 3/4 times longer to commute to and from work. But as I work shifts, I really hate having to come home on my own, especially I work a lot of lates.

Thank goodness I have a car cost fund. Fingers cross, its not a really expensive part to replace( yeah right! who am I kidding, it usually is with this bl:mad::mad:dy car).

I'm starting to think twice now, about the newer car fund.

I shall update, once I get a quote from my mechanic

Sylvia
  • edinburgher
    Options
    If you don't mind me asking edinburgher, how much is your deposit target?

Not at all, although it's tiny in comparison to your own as house prices are a lot more reasonable in our neck of the woods (Glasgow). Fiancee and I are aiming for either a nice two bed tenement flat or a small three bed house in a safe, but not wildly exciting area.

£25,000 should cover us for 15-20% deposit and fees (we're at about £16,000 just now and are adding to it at a rate of about £700/mth). This will go up once we get our wedding costs out of the way (September) and hopefully we should be on target to buy next May or thereabouts :) Just signed up to a year's lease on a rental property, will hopefully be our last.

Unlike yourself, we're not really aiming for an emergency fund as such (although I absolutely believe they're a good idea and we will build one once we buy). We invest some money through our S&S ISAs and these currently have enough money to tide us over for about 3 months if the worst happens. We'll continue to grow these investments before we buy and don't really want to add another year onto our target date as it would mean delaying starting a family (which I'd rather do when I'm old enough to enjoy it/cope ;))

We've also looked at getting a car, but as I hear nothing but horror stories about the costs involved, I'm a little wary!

Glad to hear you're giving your savings accounts a new financial year workout - it's always good to trim the fat. We mostly need to make sure we get all of our cash into tax-free accounts, as it's sitting spread across previous year ISAs/regular savers/instant access accounts at the moment.
  • Sylvia1982
    Options
    Hello edinburgher, I hope you had a lovely 28th birthday last week:beer:

Thank you for sharing and i'm so happy to see that your close to your deposit target. It appears we are looking into purchasing a similar price property(if my maths doesn't fail me).
    I am currently looking into buying either a 2/3 bedroom house £120k-£130K(max). But clearly not in London
    My friends don't want me to move out of London, but I really don't want to purchase a small run down 1 bedroom flat in a rough area for the same price (as nice 1 bed flats cost £185K+).

It would mean I would have to spend my time on the motorway to commute to work or by train, but worth getting out of the fast paste of life that London offers. I will also be living in a much nicer, greener area :D.

Good thing i'm not working today!
    Just spoke with my mechanic, he will look at my car tomrrow and work on it on Thursday... which means I have to use my very dusty oyster card to use the lovely London Trasport, being packed on the tube like sardines.I just can't wait :(.
    He has told me he has to buy the parts first before giving me an exact quote(he mentioned it could be around £200. Fingers cross, its not going to cost more than this.

Sylvia
  • edinburgher
    edited 4 April 2011 at 3:50PM
    Options
    Hello edinburgher, I hope you had a lovely 28th birthday last week

It was cracking - I went for a float and then got taken shopping for fancy food (I love cooking).

Your maths is spot on, not planning on spending more than £135k at the moment.

You appear to be looking for a fairly small mortgage LTV - 70% or thereabouts? What sort of difference do you think this will make in terms of percentage points on your mortgage rate? I ask as I've been looking at some mortgage rates for highstreet banks etc. and rates seem to go down at the following LTV points - 90% -> 85% -> 80% -> 75% -> 60%

There doesn't seem to be a 'break' for someone looking to take out a 70% mortgage. Assuming a max price of £130k, a 25% deposit would be £32.5k, a bit lower than you're allowing for.
    which means I have to use my very dusty oyster card to use the lovely London Trasport, being packed on the tube like sardines

I lived in Bromley for the best part of 2 years - I always loved the fact that I didn't have to take the tube in London, don't think I could cope in summer!
  • shrewsaver
    shrewsaver Posts: 155 Forumite
    edited 4 April 2011 at 5:02PM
    Options
    Congrats on the savings front. Will be following this thread too as I am on the same "journey" as you and will be 28 on Thursday.

Am nowhere near the figures you have towards your first home, I have around £15,000 but this could go up quite dramatically once my sharesave scheme finishes in June 2013 as I am putting £250pcm into this over a 3 year period.

Good luck on your journey and I will be following every step of it.
    Save £12K IN 2013 Member #217 £3654.88/£6,000 (60%)
    Shares: £273.36 (Bought £494.14) £220.78
    SIPP: £5,366.63 (Bought £5,429.44) £503
    S&S ISA: £11,560.70 (Bought £10,537.58) £1,023.12
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills