What age do you stop paying?

Comments

• What about if the child has a disability and unable to go to college or uni?:confused:
    Is it different rules apply to children with disabilities ?
    While I breathe.... I hope
  • Hi does anyone know if my daughter is claiming benefits in her own right does this mean child support is over?

I dont mean i want to stop supporting her just want to stop the money going straight to her mum who doesn't spend it on her

She is 18 and in part time education not sure if its more than 12 hours though and she has a part time job at the weekend and she is now pregnant (joy of joys)

Thanks in advance
  • chriszzz
    chriszzz Posts: 879 Forumite
    andy5700 wrote: »
    Hi does anyone know if my daughter is claiming benefits in her own right does this mean child support is over?

I dont mean i want to stop supporting her just want to stop the money going straight to her mum who doesn't spend it on her

She is 18 and in part time education not sure if its more than 12 hours though and she has a part time job at the weekend and she is now pregnant (joy of joys)

Thanks in advance

Sorry cant give you advice on the maintenance but there are posters on here who are in the know.
    Reading your post brought to mind Child Maintenance for a daughter who s pregnant and recieving CM, doesnt seem to be right that a child is classed as a child when they are in the process of becoming a parent themselves.
    Surely that just states that children of 18 are adults and should fend for themselves.
  • Blonde_Bint
    Blonde_Bint Posts: 1,262 Forumite
    Dont bet on it Chrizzzz, lol, he may just find that he is eligible to make child maintenance payments for his childs child :rotfl:.

Though it does open up a whole new can of worms doesnt it. With payments of CM going up to age 20. can just see a new generation of parents in recipt of CM for themselves as well as their child :rotfl:
  • chriszzz
    Dont bet on it Chrizzzz, lol, he may just find that he is eligible to make child maintenance payments for his childs child :rotfl:.

Though it does open up a whole new can of worms doesnt it. With payments of CM going up to age 20. can just see a new generation of parents in recipt of CM for themselves as well as their child :rotfl:

Haha :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I just carnt get my head around child mainenance being paid to a child (so to speak) who is going to be a mother, so she could be recieving cm whilst she is a mother herself just sounds a bit ?????? . Its acceptable having a child at 18 but the government are still classing them as children in respect to maintenance, looks a bit silly now tho ;)
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    chriszzz wrote: »
    Haha :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I just carnt get my head around child mainenance being paid to a child (so to speak) who is going to be a mother, so she could be recieving cm whilst she is a mother herself just sounds a bit ?????? . Its acceptable having a child at 18 but the government are still classing them as children in respect to maintenance, looks a bit silly now tho ;)

Or a father, wonder if the CS authorities would take their CS reciepts into the equation for the liability :D
  • Blonde_Bint
    DUTR wrote: »
    Or a father, wonder if the CS authorities would take their CS reciepts into the equation for the liability :D

pmsl :rotfl:

thats one for ole Kelloggs then.:D cos I cant get my head round that.

So 18 yr old child living with mum becomes a mum to be honest thinking about it, no it wouldnt affect what she was entitled to for her little un because the money the granny receives is due to granny not mummy. So would have no bearing on what mum would recieve for the grand-daughter. does that make sense. Kelloggs what do you think? I am interested now. Because I think this is going to become a bigger issue as time goes on.
  • chriszzz
    What if the 18 yr old daughter did not live at home and moved in with her boyfriend, can she claim benefits?? If not does then the nrp pay direct to the daughter??
    BB........It does open can of worms!!!!
  • kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,703 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If a 'child' is claiming benefits under their own rights then they cease to be a child under Child Support law, but that doesn't mean that arrears due whilst they were a child would not be collected.
  • Blonde_Bint
    chriszzz wrote: »
    What if the 18 yr old daughter did not live at home and moved in with her boyfriend, can she claim benefits?? If not does then the nrp pay direct to the daughter??
    BB........It does open can of worms!!!!

Cackle :rotfl:Its a baffler all right:D its only because 20 is quite old that its going to come about iyswim. Child Maintenance in effect will be being claimed on a person who has the right to vote, drive, be in pubs and nightclubs etc all adult activities.

What about this, 15 yr old school girl living with mum? shes definately still a child, under 18 not allowed the vote, cant do any adult activities. Would child support stop for the 15yr old eg child benefit the lot? as the claim was made for her own???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure