Temperature setting for gas central heating

lilac_lady
lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
What temperature do you set your thermostat at in winter? I tried mine on several settings and found that 16 degrees was too cold, 20 was too hot and 18 was just right. (Sounds as if Goldilocks has been in my house!) On the really cold days I start it at 20 degrees then reduce it to 18. Is this an average setting?
" The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    I think it depends on several factors, mostly where your thermostat is. In our last house, on cold evenings, 22-25 was comfortable. In this house, we rarely go above 21.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    21C is considered by heating engineers as the normal temerature for sitting in a living room.

Bear in mind that the wall thermostats are not usually accurate, and you need an accurate freestanding thermometer.
  • lilac_lady wrote: »
    What temperature do you set your thermostat at in winter? I tried mine on several settings and found that 16 degrees was too cold, 20 was too hot and 18 was just right. (Sounds as if Goldilocks has been in my house!) On the really cold days I start it at 20 degrees then reduce it to 18. Is this an average setting?
    there are many variables here
    size of rooms energy efficiency radiators boiler all these have an effect we have a 4 bed detached with double loft insulation and cavity wall insulation all doors and windows triple glazed and a condesation boiler yet the temp we set depends on who is in the house
    the best guide is set it to the temp that you are comfortable with and monitor the bills
    if you walk round in a swim suit it is too high in an overcoat too low
    best of luck with 2 teenage kids i find it set to maximum all the time
  • Typical recommendation is 18-21 C, if your stat is in the hall then in may need to be set at 16 to get 18 in the living room.

Elderly or infirm, then 21-23, also with young children not to let temp drop below 12 C at night.

Below 16 C in the living room is said to reduce resistance to respiratory infections.

Personally I've set my stat in the hall (small terrace) to 18 C and getting 19C in the living room which is fine for me, I do put a long-sleeved top on though. A friend of mine hates this cold weather, triple layers, her house at 20-21 C and even sleeping in a dressing gown sometimes. So it can be an individual thing.

Thermostats and thermometers (even accurate ones) can vary in the absolute reading they give, eg my 18C may be your 19C. Usual advice is to keeping taking it down a degree, if you find it too cold put it back up one - there is your min comfort temperature.

Red

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport