IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Help with Parking Eye in Aldi after double dipping

Hi folks,

Wondering if anyone can help. My car visited Aldi on a Fri night and again on the following Sat daytime. Parking Eye have sent me as keeper an "Parking Charge Notice" claiming it was a 17 hour stay.

I've looked at the FAQ and read a few threads but unsure on a few bits and would also really appreciate some "personalised" info if that's not too much to ask.

I'll complain to Aldi today. But what's the best way? Facebook, email, go into store? Also, do I have to avoid telling them who the driver was or do I just tell them the full and honest details and hope that common sense prevails?

Secondly, I've read the appeal letter to parking eye to get a POPLA code but can I just add my own text to that about the double dip? And do I remove the stuff about lettering size?

Any help much appreciated, I'm currently feeling a mixture of great injustice along with a feeling that I should just pay the £40 to make it go away and avoid the stress...

Thanks,
Dave

Comments

• The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 13 October 2016 at 12:11PM
    No need to conceal driver, they are more than aware that their ANPR systems are dodgy. Just tell it as it was and should cancel immediately.

By all means complain to Aldi, they too must be familiar with the problem. Also, a mention on Aldi's Facebook page will add to the pressure.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 October 2016 at 1:49PM
    hi and welcome to the forum ...

"I'll complain to Aldi today. But what's the best way? Facebook, email, go into store? Also, do I have to avoid telling them who the driver was"

yes complain every way you can , even head office / CEO

complain as the keeper ..... imagine that I was driving for you ....

when did this heinous deed take place ? when did the nice letter arrive ?

use the template (blue) you can ad the bit re double dipping

and then while you are at all this please take the time to complain , and help us a little

This is a campaign of asking people to keep sending Theresa May actual hard copies of the trash they've been deluged with. Let her advisers' desks overflow with annoying paperwork re PPCs.

No emails, all letters from genuine people pouring their hearts out. Write to your MP as well as Mrs May:

https://bmpa.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/211923909-Why-not-write-to-your-MP

The more the better, write it yourself if you are able and enclose copies of the threatograms and rubbish thrown at you.

Do not do this by email - make your paperwork land with a thump on desks, just like it all landed in a very unwelcome way on your doormat.

Apparently the DCLG are looking to make an announcement before the year end so let's make MP's and Mrs May aware that action needs to be strong. You can be sure that the BPA and IPC suits are lobbying Parliament and meeting their friends in suits.

So let the consumers' voices be heard.

good luck

Ralph:cool:
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,223 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Appeal using the BPA template in blue, and add that the vehicle visited the store twice. I wouldn't recommend revealing the driver's details as this means throwing away a possible appeal point at PoPLA.

Complain to the CEO of Aldi, and leave negative feedback on their fakebook page stating that their known to be flawed ANPR system has yet again failed. If you wish you can quote the very recent case of a parking lie triple dip where the vehicle keeper had dashcam footage showing their car was parked at home for part of the time, yet parking lie still sent them a PCN.
    The UK Government prohibit the use of ANPR cameras for car park monitoring by Councils and Local government because it is not fit for purpose. Private parking companies use it knowing it is flawed, because the errors it generates in turn generate cash for them.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Dave_Sk
    Dave_Sk Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the quick replies! Just coming up with a reply now. Couple more questions that may or may not be relevant.

First, DVLA had my old address (my fault, not updated V5). Which address should I include in the letter? Is giving them my correct address complicating things. I visit my old address once per week so can pick up mail from there.

Secondly, the number plate in the entrance photo looks incorrect. One of the letters should be a C but it looks incredibly like a G. I fully expect it was my car and it's just a trick of the light or dirt or something. But is it worth including this and mentioning the fact that it's not 100% clear that it's my car? Or is this just complicating things again?

Thanks again!
  • Dave_Sk
    Sorry, couple more replies have come in while I was typing, will read them now!
  • Dave_Sk
    Thanks for the extra info, I've edited the BPA template to add the following:

I challenge this 'PCN' as keeper of the car and I will complain to the landowner about the matter if it is not cancelled.

Your 'PCN' claims that the vehicle was in Aldi car park from ....arrival time & date.... and remained there overnight until ....departure time & date....
    However, the vehicle wasn't there for the entire time. There were 2 separate trips, neither of which lasted more then 30 mins, one on the Friday night and one on Saturday afternoon. It appears that your camera is not reliable, however I would urge you to check the store CCTV footage which will show that the visits were each well under 30 mins.

The reliability of the camera is further brought into question as the registration plate shown in the arrival time picture is not the registration of my vehicle. While very similar, the last digit reads G. My registration last digit is C. This suggests that the arrival photo is of an entirely different vehicle. The photo of the vehicle is too dark to identify the make and model and therefore provides no further evidence of my vehicle's arrival time.

... rest of letter continues as BPA template...

Does that sound OK?

Thanks
    Dave
  • Dave_Sk
    Ralph-y I'll definitely complain. I'm now worried about shopping at Aldi more then once every few days for fear of having to go through this hoop-jumping exercise again!

In answer to your question the "offence" took place 30th sep arrival / 1st oct departure. Date issued on the letter 6th Oct. Not sure when it arrived as I only picked it up from my old address last night.
  • steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Don't forget to copy in via Royal Mail

Mrs T May 10 Downing Street London
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Dave_Sk wrote: »
    First, DVLA had my old address (my fault, not updated V5). Which address should I include in the letter? Is giving them my correct address complicating things. I visit my old address once per week so can pick up mail from there.

Use your new address, if POPLA don't kill this they've got up to 6 years to take action, which means you'd need to keep checking mail at the old address for that long. They've got form for going quiet and sending legal papers after a few years. If you've always corresponded using the new address, they'd have no excuse for using the old one to catch you out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure